Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 6 Jun 2006, 11:16 (Ref:1628390)   #1
silente
Racer

silente should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Differential

Hi all!

I am looking for some infos about limited slip differentials way of working.

In particular, i would like to know something more about the salisbury type: preload, ramps, discs etc

I was thinking about what happens if, for example, i change my ramp angle in power or in coast side...

Help is needed!

Thx
Old 6 Jun 2006, 14:20 (Ref:1628540)   #2
imull
Veteran

imull has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
my understanding of it is that by altering the ramp angle you alter the speed that the diff locks up either under power or when braking.

preload is effectively the amount of limited slip there is when static. you could wind it right up and the diff is effectively locked or you oculd set it so that there is a relatively large amount of slip allowed before the diff acts...

(think this is right )

Last edited by imull; 6 Jun 2006 at 14:23.
Old 7 Jun 2006, 15:25 (Ref:1629319)   #3
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I'm just about to embark on my first LSD rebuild ( salisbury plate type in an english axle) If I add more shims, presumably theres less free space between plates so the plates will bind sooner when a differential in wheel speed happens ? I guess then the downside is the wear rate will be increased ?
Old 7 Jun 2006, 17:57 (Ref:1629407)   #4
ian_w
Racer

England
Towcester
ian_w should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you go onto the Hewland website, they have manuals for all their gearboxes.

http://www.hewland.com/svga/manuals.htm

The one I downloaded for the F3A has a couple of page description of how a plate and ramp type diff works and how to tune it.
Old 8 Jun 2006, 09:23 (Ref:1629803)   #5
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
cool, donloading now, I have an unknown spare in the workshop I'm going to strip as an excercise . . .I'll post a pic of all the bits in a heap next week
Old 9 Jun 2006, 14:33 (Ref:1630658)   #6
silente
Racer

silente should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok let's make it easier.

Let's say i am going to change the ramp angle on power side from 60 to 45 degrees. What should happen to the balance of the car? It should show more oversteer or more understeer when the driver goes on the throttle?

I am also looking for any explanation on the way of working of limited slip differentials.

Anyone can help?

Thx
Old 11 Jun 2006, 07:02 (Ref:1631471)   #7
Lukin
Racer

Australia
Perth
Lukin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by silente
Ok let's make it easier.

Let's say i am going to change the ramp angle on power side from 60 to 45 degrees. What should happen to the balance of the car? It should show more oversteer or more understeer when the driver goes on the throttle?

I am also looking for any explanation on the way of working of limited slip differentials.

Anyone can help?

Thx
Unfortunately it's not as easy as just when the driver gets on the throttle. The diff will play a role in every aspect of the handling from the time the steering input is applied to when the wheel straightens and the lateral acceleration drops to zero.

If you imagine the different components of tractice forces at any point of the corner (be it entry, mid or an exit segment) on each corner of the car (ie longitudinal forces, drag, load transfer etc) and the tractive force on each wheel from the diff will vary the handling.

An open diff will be good as the driver comes off the throttle, but a spool diff will understeer horribly and the diff tries to push the car straight.