Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 9 May 2001, 14:20 (Ref:90691)   #1
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thruxton on TV

Anyone know when the fools at the BBC are planning to show the Thruxton race???
Old 9 May 2001, 14:35 (Ref:90693)   #2
Kelvin
Veteran

Kelvin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How many cameras did you see?
I saw one fixed at chicane, and one mobile in the pit lane!
Where were the others?

Kelvin
Old 9 May 2001, 14:43 (Ref:90694)   #3
RickP:Clio51
Veteran

England
Zurich
RickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Following the success of the viewing figures for round 1 (2.1 million people) BBC have decided to move the Thruxton coverage to 1PM Saturday to compete with the GP qualifying...
Old 9 May 2001, 15:29 (Ref:90704)   #4
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Touring Cars AND World Rally AND British Superbikes all on Sat Grandstand. Could have been a great afternoon in front of the telly if I wasn't at Silverstone.
Old 9 May 2001, 15:44 (Ref:90709)   #5
vauxhall
Veteran

vauxhall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by redshoes
Touring Cars AND World Rally AND British Superbikes all on Sat Grandstand. Could have been a great afternoon in front of the telly if I wasn't at Silverstone.
You going to the ETCC qualify then?

im going to the race!
Old 9 May 2001, 17:23 (Ref:90738)   #6
WoodyTJ
Veteran

WoodyTJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can we organise different people to tape the different events, then pass the tape around?
Old 9 May 2001, 18:29 (Ref:90767)   #7
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2 videos, 2 tapes - no hassle.
So who wants a copy Sunday at Silverstone and of what???
Old 9 May 2001, 18:41 (Ref:90768)   #8
WoodyTJ
Veteran

WoodyTJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would like a copy of BTC @ Thruxton ...... not set my TV & Video up since moving) Of cause i'll let you have it back as soon as I have watched it!
Old 10 May 2001, 00:08 (Ref:90885)   #9
Daz
Racer

Daz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I can record all of what you want on the box this weekend, just let me know what you all want and I'll pass it on to you at Oulton.
Old 10 May 2001, 21:15 (Ref:91108)   #10
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by RickP:Clio51
Following the success of the viewing figures for round 1 (2.1 million people) BBC have decided to move the Thruxton coverage to 1PM Saturday to compete with the GP qualifying...
It's so good that the programme only lasts 40mins now - 10mins less!!! But I think that may have something to do with the combined sprint race format.
Old 12 May 2001, 16:25 (Ref:91559)   #11
runnyhunny
Racer

runnyhunny should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've just watched the Thruxton coverage.

According to my VCR, Brands was 50 minutes, and Thruxton 45. That's annoying, especially as I'd emailed the BBC to ask for an EXTRA 5 or 10 minutes! :-)

In general, it's a lot better, but there are still a few weak points.

The on-board cameras in the Touring cars are still set too far back, so you can only see the driver's seat and the rear-view mirror! They seem to have dropped that funky-looking rear wing camera, and replaced it with a rear bumper camera - I'd like to them to use both.

I also found the races a bit too difficult to follow. It was not clear what was going on, and/or what the top six positions were. I think they need to dedicate more time, and/or show 'top six' graphics more often.
Old 12 May 2001, 17:31 (Ref:91570)   #12
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Anyone got a video I can borrow? Guess who forgot about it
I think my middle name should be disorganised.
Old 12 May 2001, 17:40 (Ref:91573)   #13
John Batchelor
Racer

John Batchelor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yes Carrie, mail me and I will drop a copy off at the mill.
Old 12 May 2001, 18:08 (Ref:91579)   #14
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Your car got more coverage at Thruxton than at Brands, John. I'm going to B&Q tommorrow to get wood and fencing wire!
Old 12 May 2001, 18:32 (Ref:91583)   #15
Craigsy
Rookie

Craigsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi all, please be nice to a forum fresher.....

Since there seem to be plenty folks who were disorganised enough to miss the Thruxton coverage today, when (if) you do get round to it, watch out for a truly awful piece of cutting room editing in the first few seconds of the feature - listen very carefully to Charlie Cox's commentary to spot it. Production still needs much work in general, especially when compared to the Superbikes coverage which followed (that's Octagon too isn't it?).

A few other small complaints: runny, absolutely right about the Touring in-car cameras, fascinating (hmmmm) to see JP's eyes darting from road to rear view mirror, but didn't get any more than that. No mention whatsoever of Matt Neal's absence, which I thought was very strange. Lengthy close up of the grass behind Simon Harrison when he retired in the feature was a bit curious. Also, I got the distinct impression John Watson didn't like the Production field one bit. Oh, and Charlie took three attempts to get Mat Jackson's name right.

Other than that, better then Brands, Dawn McDaniel seems to have been working on her interview techniques. Production coverage better but still mostly missed out a large chunk of the field. Including John.....

(don't worry, I'm not usually as long winded as this.....)
Old 12 May 2001, 19:37 (Ref:91597)   #16
Tim.Lad
Racer

Tim.Lad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm for some strange reason my Tivo thought it was recording super bikes towards the end never mind

i must say the coverage was great, apart from the position of the rear cameras, but i`m sure it has already been mentioned a big improvement over brands

did anyone else notice that it was broadcast in widescreen on sky digital really was a treat for the eyes
Old 13 May 2001, 04:55 (Ref:91679)   #17
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Thruxton was definately better than Brands but it's still up to the standards of recent years. The crew are obviously playing with some new camera angles. The view from the outside of Church was realy well but the others (especially those at the complex) were less successful.

One thing they can't do much about is the in-car shots. The camera has to attach to the roll cage and if that's the way the teams have built the car there is little the TV crew can do about it.
Old 13 May 2001, 18:53 (Ref:91953)   #18
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought it was a lot better this week but....

If they are going to interview Jason, Yvan, Phil, Thommo, Kurt, Soper, Eaves and some of the production lot then at least they could mention the Alfas!
Old 13 May 2001, 19:33 (Ref:91990)   #19
hunttheshunt
Veteran

hunttheshunt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had no idae the Beeb were showing it on Sat-I was playing Cricket from 12-7 on Saturday expecting to watch the BTCC the following day. Low and behold, its noe on, i come onto 10-tenths and ts the first i hear of it being on Saturday. Gutted i missed it-especially considering the improved quality you guys are talking about. Doh!
Old 13 May 2001, 19:34 (Ref:91991)   #20
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Welcome Craigsy! Cool name

Yes, the coverage was shorter, but there was one less race, no ?

Sadly I missed this too as I was at Silverstone - anyone care to lend me a copy ?
Old 13 May 2001, 20:17 (Ref:92018)   #21
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Charlie Cox should put more effort into learning the production guys names! As mentioned he either got it wrong, or didn't bother at all! And the results and grids made it look as though there were about 4 production cars and that was all.
Old 13 May 2001, 22:02 (Ref:92068)   #22
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by John B & Q
yes Carrie, mail me and I will drop a copy off at the mill.
Cheers John, will drop you a line when I'm a bit more awake
Old 14 May 2001, 10:43 (Ref:92217)   #23
Craigsy
Rookie

Craigsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oulton on TV

Another piece of fantastic BBC scheduling for us all to look forward to - Steve Rider announced immediately after the Thruxton coverage that we'll have to wait until June 2nd for highlights from Oulton. Not only a week later than usual, but on the same day as Silverstone. Oh, well played Grandstand!
Old 14 May 2001, 17:32 (Ref:92417)   #24
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was a bit miffed to hear that too... hmmm... videotapes at the ready then.

The coverage was a bit all over the place, I too found it difficult to keep up with what was going on - and there was certainly not enough B&Q coverage!!!
Old 14 May 2001, 17:53 (Ref:92431)   #25
ziggy stardust
Rookie

ziggy stardust should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do believe the BBC's Royal Charter states the corp should 'educate, entertain and inform' not give coverage to sponsors, no matter who they are !