Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 12 May 2001, 20:15 (Ref:91605)   #1
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Euro TCs @ Silverstone

Just got back from a very hot and sunny Silverstone. Much as I like the new BTCT regs it was great to see the old SuperTourers again. The Alfas looked just a fantastic as I was expecting, the Audis sounded just as distinctive as ever. Ah, happy days

Matt Neal had a storming 2 free practice sessions but in qualifying could only manage 4th. Tarquini was in a league of his own all day and no surprise to see him on pole. Larini suffered a gearbox fault in qualifying and will start from the back.

In Production Matt Kelly (in the RJN Primera) was fastest non-BMW (6th) during the free practice but had problems in qualifying. Up front it was Peter Kox in the "works" BMW as usual. The little Alfa 147s looked very lively though the corners.

Off to bed now ready for an early start tomorrow.
Old 13 May 2001, 02:39 (Ref:91670)   #2
Lorna
Veteran

Lorna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah, how I would love to see Tarquini back in the British Touring Car Championship. Smashing bloke.
Old 13 May 2001, 04:46 (Ref:91677)   #3
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Tarquini was "very 'appy" to be on pole.
Old 13 May 2001, 10:33 (Ref:91711)   #4
RIKB
Veteran

RIKB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And I am "very 'appy" for him
Old 13 May 2001, 11:25 (Ref:91726)   #5
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Has Matts Primera had a fresh lick of paint? On Eurosport the red looked very shiny, and I noticed the white BF Goodrich part is now black.
Old 13 May 2001, 16:23 (Ref:91876)   #6
vauxhall
Veteran

vauxhall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That ETCC was the worst races i've ever seen!
i was so bored! it was all spread out! and know-one done anything!

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

they've got to do something majour with that!
Old 13 May 2001, 17:51 (Ref:91914)   #7
Tim.Lad
Racer

Tim.Lad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i agree very boaring indeed allso ive never seen such an apaulling live broadcast in my life, shame Matty got punted of by the audi there was just no need
Old 13 May 2001, 18:07 (Ref:91929)   #8
redshoes
Veteran

Well if yesterday reminded me why I love SuperTouring, today reminded me why I'm glad we've dropped it. Other than Larini fighting from the back of the grid to 5th (all of which happened in the first few laps) the first race was dire. The second race with a reverse grid was much better though. Tarquini came from back of the grid to win with ease. At the front it was Tarquini, Giovanardi, Larini and Matt Neali in forth.

Production race was an interesting comparison with our own NSC/BTCP. Where as we have 7 or 8 different makes this was 2 thirds BMWs with a few Alfas and Nissans of good measure. As expected Peter Kox ran off into the distance for a convincing win.

Also reminded me when I don't like Silverstone GP circuit for anything other than GTs as the grid always get so spead out.
Old 13 May 2001, 18:40 (Ref:91942)   #9
vauxhall
Veteran

the SUPER? racing weekend programme

it says:

PAGE:29

''the arrical of the super touring teams for the silverstone meeting is a great and rare chance to see what European fans witness on a regular basis - and lament we dont''

i was SOOOOO angry when i read this, the BTCC super tourers from -2000 where better than this!! even when Aiello had a 4,000,000 point lead in the champ!

...and have they not seen the Brands hatch or thruxton rounds yet?

AAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
Old 13 May 2001, 18:44 (Ref:91944)   #10
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Never complain about the BTCC again.

4 races and half a paddock (rest had gone home!) all for £28 and the best bit - tried to charge us £15 to sit in Woodcote.
Old 13 May 2001, 18:49 (Ref:91950)   #11
vauxhall
Veteran

The best bit of the weekend was:

when i seen a coffee cup roll down the grass bank, that was fun oh and when the Helicopter took off!
i also nearly tripped over, and err...

and i think i seen James Thompson on a m-ped going over the Bridge @ Bridge! i seen him twice!

and i rekon i saw Vic Lee in a Pug
Old 13 May 2001, 19:29 (Ref:91986)   #12
hunttheshunt
Veteran

hunttheshunt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I love ST's but i am also glad we have droped those regs. I hope the FIA do the sensible thing and adopt the BTCC rules for next year's ETCC. However, Matt did a storming job, proving what he's capable of (and why Pug shouldn't have dropped him) as did good old Gabriele!
Old 13 May 2001, 19:31 (Ref:91988)   #13
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
As Nigel says, pretty looking cars, but oh so boring...! Let's all get behind Richard West and make sure the new BTCC regs are a success... he deserves it after the work he and his team have put in, and the cars are soooo much more exciting to watch... I can't wait to see a grid of 20 odd BTCC2001 motors...!

Mind you, at least the Super Tourers have white rims... hehe!
Old 13 May 2001, 21:37 (Ref:92061)   #14
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Like many people who've posted in this topic, I went to Silverstone today looking forward to seeing the Super Tourers out on track. What a disappointment. Yes, the cars might look nice, but the racing itself was dull, dull, dull.
I do think Nigel has a point, would we have seen better racing if they'd been using the national circuit - possibly, but at the end of the day, I've got to say, give me the 2001 BTCC, that's been far more fun so far and I'm sure can only get better.
Old 13 May 2001, 21:45 (Ref:92062)   #15
vauxhall
Veteran

So the BTCC is a success then?
Old 13 May 2001, 22:01 (Ref:92067)   #16
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

i agree the ESTC races were dull after Tarquini got to the front as they all spread out and that was it. The only excitment was Larini's charge in race one. The ESPC was very exciting and had lots of action. When the series reverts to their rules we will see lots of exciting racing.
Old 14 May 2001, 05:43 (Ref:92157)   #17
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another weekend of crotch staring!!!!!

Why do the manufacturers put the drivers names on their belts?

I spent the whole weekend staring at drivers nether regions trying to work out who the hell they were.

Mind you it was a good job I didn't stare too much at one bloke - he was having a pee in a rubbish bin at Maggots!!!!! Sandra was thinking of getting his autograph - decided not to in the end!
Old 14 May 2001, 17:59 (Ref:92436)   #18
ziggy stardust
Rookie

ziggy stardust should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
YOu've frgotten the ETC is only a support race to the three hour endurance GT race.

You probably went expecting far too much - rather than savouring agrand day out, with cool friends (at least, I was) and some cracking racing.
Old 14 May 2001, 21:07 (Ref:92530)   #19
WoodyTJ
Veteran

WoodyTJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Myself I enjoyed the day .... was nice to see a few more cars than in the current BTCC. Perhaps some of the teams/drivers should come over to the UK at the end of the season!?

Come back Matty!!!!!
Old 15 May 2001, 00:09 (Ref:92606)   #20
SPOONERBORO
Veteran

United Kingdom
UK
SPOONERBORO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i dont know about you but i personally was reminded about how much i really hate silverstone - u have to walk miles to get anywhere, u get charged a fortune they provide no camping facilities for the general public, too much fencing, too far away from the track, expensive grub and drinks, and this is on a day when the weather is good - my letter to the management is coming along very nicely!!

racing was ok Super TOurers werent great GT race was pretty cool, loved the production cars - get them in the BTCP anyday - renault eurocup was a good race not so sure about the historics though

quite glad i didnt get up to go to the pits walkabout - from what i gathered that was it you walked the pitlane!!