Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Aug 2004, 14:25 (Ref:1066136)   #1
crozier74
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
crozier74 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The James Allen petitions

After watching qualifying for the Hungarian GP, and suffering another excessive batch of cringeworthy metaphors and similies, eg. "like an ant in a glove" , I've finally snapped.

Searched the net's largest online petition site and found these two:

SHUT UP JAMES ALLEN Petition

Ben Edwards for F1 Petition

God knows how many times I've seen someone bash JA on this forum. For all those of you who suffer him, and those who sympathise with our plight, PLEASE SIGN THESE, for the sake of our sanity!

To be honest, I don't know how effective these will be - ITV's such a broadcasting powerhouse that if it thinks it's commercial interests lie with keeping JA, then c'est la vie. But it's clear that he's beginning to really get on the other presenters' nerves as well, particularly Martin Brundle, so there's probably a bit of friction anyway. The more that sign, the more we're likely to get our way.

You have the power...
So I ride out to the old sundown
Old 14 Aug 2004, 14:27 (Ref:1066139)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
James was irritating today.

Doubly so given that he was with Mark Blundell rather than Martin.
Old 14 Aug 2004, 14:31 (Ref:1066143)   #3
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where is Martin by the way?
Old 14 Aug 2004, 14:32 (Ref:1066145)   #4
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
When he mentioned that Kliens Jaguar was handling like a beach buggy, I turned the sound down and put Satriani on the hi-fi. I had enough. You can't listen to the cars as he's irritatingly droning away constantly so I felt that was the best solution.

Qualifying was all the more enjoyable for it.
Old 14 Aug 2004, 14:33 (Ref:1066147)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Is Martin in the Silverstone 1000kms or something?
Old 14 Aug 2004, 14:38 (Ref:1066149)   #6
Fantasy GP610
Racer

Fantasy GP610 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Raven
Where is Martin by the way?
I was wondering that :confused:
Old 14 Aug 2004, 14:38 (Ref:1066151)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No. I assume he's either ill or at some family event.
Old 14 Aug 2004, 14:42 (Ref:1066156)   #8
BIGMOUTH
Racer

BIGMOUTH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
James Allen is terrible, but Louise Goodman is even worse!
Old 14 Aug 2004, 14:44 (Ref:1066158)   #9
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by knowlesy
... and put Satriani on the hi-fi.
Qualifying was all the more enjoyable for it.

Sweeeeet!
Old 14 Aug 2004, 14:48 (Ref:1066162)   #10
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

It was indeed an appropriate backing!
Old 14 Aug 2004, 15:03 (Ref:1066173)   #11
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's sad that the negative ranting petition has had 50% more votes than the rational, constructive one. I'd encourage people to sign both though - I've actually got results via PetitionOnline in the past, though on a more trivial matter.
Old 14 Aug 2004, 15:13 (Ref:1066180)   #12
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
ok im the sad one here..... im still in America and my relatives dont have speed tv... so i go on f1-streamin.tk and eventhough this should be my vacation time i still listen to Allen... i should get a life really...
Old 14 Aug 2004, 15:14 (Ref:1066183)   #13
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Oh yeah and forgot to add.... Shut Up Allen you were at your irritating best today!!!
Old 14 Aug 2004, 15:22 (Ref:1066193)   #14
Steevp
Racer

England
Cambridge
Steevp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whilst I understand the problems with Allen at least his babble washes past like background noise, it's that barely literate Mark Blundell that annoys me the most, I wince every time he says something like "The driver what is in front..." trust me within his first 4 utterances he will make a glaring gramaticlal error, I always thought a command of the language was a prerequisite for the job of presenter.

-S.
Old 14 Aug 2004, 16:14 (Ref:1066230)   #15
mstar
Racer

mstar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
when ben edwards was commentating for F1 on eurosport it was a delight Edwards should get his chance to present F1 again he is a very knowledgable bloke as he did all the single seat racing on Eurosport and it was his reccomendation in the early 90's he tipped on commentary to a karting champs race, a certain jenson button/trulli to get in F1 one day...

p.s mark blundell is sooooooooo **** why didn't they get wattie i there? him and ben edwards were great on eurosport
Old 14 Aug 2004, 16:38 (Ref:1066251)   #16
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It wasn't that bad today, at least the Martin was NOT on!
Old 14 Aug 2004, 16:52 (Ref:1066269)   #17
Son of Jor-El
Racer

Son of Jor-El should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by esorniloc
It wasn't that bad today, at least the Martin was NOT on!
Oh, that old chestnut again!
Old 14 Aug 2004, 16:54 (Ref:1066272)   #18
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
his Silverstone performance in 1942 was disgraceful
Old 14 Aug 2004, 16:59 (Ref:1066280)   #19
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
While it will make no difference I have signed it. Just to make myself feel better and for a little fun.

Then I read it. Frankly, I am embarrassed to be associated with some on there. If you can't express your opinion without being offensive like some of those then I'm not sure the opinion is worth that much.

It is also interesting (in a depressing way) that there are more signatures for the negative get rid of JA than the positive get BE one. OK, so maybe not as many know who BE is, but a lot of the comments for Ben are actually just abusing James.

Can you remove your sig?

Last edited by Adam43; 14 Aug 2004 at 17:06.
Old 14 Aug 2004, 17:10 (Ref:1066293)   #20
Matthopps
Racer

United Kingdom
Rotherham, South Yorkshire
Matthopps should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Done and signed, lets hope it comes true
Old 14 Aug 2004, 17:18 (Ref:1066299)   #21
Kicking-back
Veteran

I'm a bit uncomfortable about a petition calling for a man to be sacked from his job.
Old 14 Aug 2004, 17:34 (Ref:1066313)   #22
Snapple
Rookie

Snapple should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've always like Ben's style, he reminds me of Murray Walker in some ways with his enthusiasm and passion of motor racing. He makes BTCC worth watching, he's great! but this chap called James Allen should be serving the tea to the production staff, not heading up the commentary team for the best motor sport on earth.

I'll sign this petition in hope of getting rid of James 'boring' Allen.

Last edited by Snapple; 14 Aug 2004 at 17:36.
Old 14 Aug 2004, 17:55 (Ref:1066328)   #23
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
his Silverstone performance in 1942 was disgraceful
Indeed (it was 2000 actually), there have been other times as well! In 2000 though, he was commentating on a different race to the one on track!
Old 14 Aug 2004, 17:58 (Ref:1066331)   #24
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Just drop it Colin. You're going to embarass yourself!
Old 14 Aug 2004, 18:49 (Ref:1066361)   #25
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He already has. Several times. The latest failure to appreciate sarcasm and irony is nothing by comparison.

Very true Adam - online petitions can bring out the worst in people's manners and literacy. I'd support the petition itself, but not 90% of the signatories