Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Nov 2012, 17:21 (Ref:3161134)   #101
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Every Team on the grid now deserves to be there. Yeah, even HRT and Marussia.
Personally I'd rather have a fuller field even if some of the teams are a bit off the pace, in fact in terms of the gap in lap times to the front running teams I suspect Caterham and the like are a lot closer than Minardi ever were though I can't say I've any stats to back that up.

What wrankles though is that in the past even the slowest teams on the grid were competing to stay there, if a team who weren't in F1 came along with a faster car they could qualify it and bump Minardi off the grid. With the franchise system today Caterham, HRT and Marrusia can just squat on those last three places indefinitely even if a genuine contender comes along with a faster car.
Old 1 Nov 2012, 18:11 (Ref:3161154)   #102
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourWheelDrift View Post
Personally I'd rather have a fuller field even if some of the teams are a bit off the pace, in fact in terms of the gap in lap times to the front running teams I suspect Caterham and the like are a lot closer than Minardi ever were though I can't say I've any stats to back that up.

What wrankles though is that in the past even the slowest teams on the grid were competing to stay there, if a team who weren't in F1 came along with a faster car they could qualify it and bump Minardi off the grid. With the franchise system today Caterham, HRT and Marrusia can just squat on those last three places indefinitely even if a genuine contender comes along with a faster car.
Now you've said it. 39 cars attempting to get 26 places was probably a bit OTT but 28-30 for 26 places might be OK. Tell aspiring F1 teams there's no guarantee to qualify and if they understand that, still have the desire and the cash, then welcome to the show.
Old 3 Nov 2012, 08:42 (Ref:3161798)   #103
Supertec
Rookie

United Kingdom
Norwich
Supertec should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FP1 didnt go the way van der Garde had hoped, with lots of press releases coming from Caterham concerning Giedo. I guess he's one of their drivers for next season. He's well funded by his father in law. I hope he can perform in F1 as well as he has done in the past.
Old 4 Nov 2012, 15:19 (Ref:3162384)   #104
EastonNeston
Veteran

EastonNeston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Excellent drive from Heikki today, so close to getting a 12th place finish.
Old 4 Nov 2012, 19:32 (Ref:3162550)   #105
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's getting better everyday.
Old 5 Nov 2012, 13:54 (Ref:3162885)   #106
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Caterham and Renault have announced a joint venture to develop Alpine road cars.

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2012/...m-and-renault/

That could produce some interesting results, and does it have any F1 consequences. One would have thought Lotus should have got that deal but then it has its own problems.
Old 5 Nov 2012, 15:53 (Ref:3162933)   #107
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
Caterham and Renault have announced a joint venture to develop Alpine road cars.

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2012/...m-and-renault/

That could produce some interesting results, and does it have any F1 consequences. One would have thought Lotus should have got that deal but then it has its own problems.
A very interesting development.
I'd also expect some additional spin-off effect with regard to future Caterham models too (like the Lotus / Vauxhall VX220).
A shrewd move by Caterham which will benefit the F1 and road car sides of the business.
Old 6 Nov 2012, 16:45 (Ref:3163426)   #108
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Tony Fernandes is to step down as Caterham F1 team principal and move to the road car business. He says he knows who his replacement will be will reveal who it is later.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/104084

Now I wonder who has got the job as it is somebody working in F1. Who is on gardening leave at the moment? might provide a clue.
Old 6 Nov 2012, 16:58 (Ref:3163432)   #109
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bizzare. Ex-Lotus team looking to make sports cars and some sort of city cars, while Lotus goes backward, but the EnstoneF1/Lotus wins.
Old 6 Nov 2012, 20:16 (Ref:3163494)   #110
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hope Mr Fernandes won't want to rebrand his F1 team as "Alpine"...
Old 7 Nov 2012, 08:11 (Ref:3163638)   #111
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekola View Post
Hope Mr Fernandes won't want to rebrand his F1 team as "Alpine"...
No, but maybe it'll become RENAULT! (That'd be somewhat ironic!)
Old 7 Nov 2012, 13:27 (Ref:3163742)   #112
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Sniff Petrol have their slant on the Renault tie-up.
http://sniffpetrol.com/2012/11/07/re...rhamcancelled/
Old 7 Nov 2012, 13:55 (Ref:3163749)   #113
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
I don't know what the problem is? Renault are famous for having quirky cars! Although, a tie-up with Citroen might have been more appropriate.
Old 8 Nov 2012, 11:33 (Ref:3164058)   #114
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
Now I wonder who has got the job as it is somebody working in F1.

Mr Cyril Abiteboul, current deputy Managing Director for Renault Sport F1.
Old 8 Nov 2012, 15:27 (Ref:3164117)   #115
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
35 years old. F1 is getting younger and younger in the team principle department. up until now i thought it a good thing as guys like Horner and Boullier had considerable experience in lower formuals before taking on the top job in F1 but im bit more skeptical of this move.

this team needs cash more than anything and this guy is not even a financial guru to back up his lack of experience. but from all accounts he is young and smart...i hope thats enough.

totally speculating but if this is the initial steps in a return for a Renault factory team that would be cool.
Old 18 Nov 2012, 03:47 (Ref:3167709)   #116
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, its starting to look like a team with good intentions and getting done by Marussia They have better engines, funding, KERS and can't even put Marussia behind them on the grid.

Not looking good
Old 18 Nov 2012, 16:04 (Ref:3167959)   #117
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
If Marussia get that 10th place, then it should be considered to be a bit of a disaster for Caterham. Particularly as Marussia will also have KERS for next season.
Old 18 Nov 2012, 16:36 (Ref:3167971)   #118
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
I must say that initially I was championing the cause of Caterham.
I was on their side in all the argy-bargy over the use of the Lotus name, and I did used to rate Mike Gascoigne as a designer/engineer. However, their gradual decline this season has until recently missed my notice, but now I come to think about it, they appear to be CRAP!
Old 18 Nov 2012, 19:57 (Ref:3168049)   #119
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I must say that initially I was championing the cause of Caterham.
I was on their side in all the argy-bargy over the use of the Lotus name, and I did used to rate Mike Gascoigne as a designer/engineer. However, their gradual decline this season has until recently missed my notice, but now I come to think about it, they appear to be CRAP!
Big crap !
Old 18 Nov 2012, 21:40 (Ref:3168107)   #120
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonNeston View Post
Excellent drive from Heikki today, so close to getting a 12th place finish.

For some reason this made me laugh.
Old 20 Nov 2012, 18:18 (Ref:3169117)   #121
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
this team needs cash more than anything and this guy is not even a financial guru to back up his lack of experience. but from all accounts he is young and smart...i hope thats enough.
I think you'll find they are better funded than many teams in the mid-field.
Old 20 Nov 2012, 19:42 (Ref:3169143)   #122
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i would love to find out but the question is where? does anyone have any links to what their reported operating budget is? the only mid field team i could see them spending more than is Sauber.

they cant be outspending Williams, FI, or Toro Rosso can they?
Old 26 Nov 2012, 09:19 (Ref:3171586)   #123
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Well Caterham got lucky and grabbed 10th place back from Marussia - potentially that'll make a big difference. Certainly gives them a bit more choice on the driver front.
Old 26 Nov 2012, 10:52 (Ref:3171633)   #124
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Well Caterham got lucky and grabbed 10th place back from Marussia - potentially that'll make a big difference. Certainly gives them a bit more choice on the driver front.
But its unfortunate that the bloke who got them the 11th place in Brazil seems destined for the scrapheap
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 26 Nov 2012, 11:32 (Ref:3171648)   #125
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
But its unfortunate that the bloke who got them the 11th place in Brazil seems destined for the scrapheap
True - but did they get that 11th because the bloke going there next season didn't put up much of a fight? Did Pic let him through?