Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 12 Oct 2012, 14:46 (Ref:3150448)   #126
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trussers View Post
For the record (and just to show that I'm paying attention, gwyllion), the pit in - pit out distance at Fuji is 467m and at Interlagos is 384m. Therefore an additional 83m at 60kph - adds around 5s to the pit stop time.
40 sec over 6 hours means 0.166 sec per lap.

On Wednesday Lotterer did a double stint. So you can see exactly how long a fuel stop including pit in and pit out takes.

In http://www.dailysportscar.com/viewAr...D2E10C85AFF5A2 Vasselon explained that the tipping point is around 0.2 sec per lap.
Quote:
And that is the key, while there are those that look at the need to take a splash at the end of the race and see it as a disaster, we look at the time it takes to get a little fuel and convert that time into what would be require earlier in the race as a reduction in pace to make it unnecessary to take that stop.

The difference across the six hours is 0.2 seconds per lap – Anything we do to reduce pace to secure the need not to take a splash cannot cost us more than 0.2 seconds per lap as it would, over the full distance be a less efficient use of the time available!
Old 12 Oct 2012, 15:18 (Ref:3150453)   #127
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Deggis, a significantly greater proportion of the lap at Le Mans is composed of high-speed, high-downforce corners than is the case at Monza. Therefore, regardless of F1 cars having not run there, it is only reasonable that F1 cars would run equal if not more downforce at Le Mans than at Monza. They're already so drag-limited that I can't see them gaining much of anything trying longer gears at Le Mans, especially if they run more downforce.
It's still hypothetical.

Quote:
Also, how is it possible to run only 311km/h in qualifying at Suzuka, with free reign on DRS, and run 318km/h in the race with no DRS, and 322/323km/h with the limited allotment of DRS? Sorry, those numbers do NOT add up.
Do you mean the tv graphics telemetry or what because f1.com do not have speed traps from races? I just really can't trust you remember those figures right.

Quote:
Also, the number from Spa qualifying is 310km/h, but weren't we seeing 311-313km/h from the Audis last year at Spa?
gwyllion corrected this.

Quote:
I must say that I really don't feel like I can count DRS-generated speeds as legitimate. If they had free reign to use the system in the race (which I know would defeat the point of it as it is intended), that might be another matter. However, it is what it is, and not a Chaparral flap, so it really comes off as a video game feature. I really cannot see it as an accurate reflection of what the car setup alone would make possible under the current conditions.
It's still happens to be a feature of the current cars, but you can also compare to 2009-2010 no-DRS cars, which really doesn't change much because the top speeds are still higher.

Quote:
Deggis, I don't know what to do with your second link. The listing on the left almost instantly goes from clickable links to straight text, so I can't actually click on them to get any session results. (I checked my Adobe Reader, and no notice of needing an update came up, as far as I could tell.)
Click the [+] sign.

Last edited by deggis; 12 Oct 2012 at 15:26.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 00:36 (Ref:3150662)   #128
JAG__
Rookie

England
JAG__ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Practice sessions are being streamed with RLM commentary, circuit looks quite busy.

http://live.fiawec.com/

Last edited by JAG__; 13 Oct 2012 at 00:43.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 01:16 (Ref:3150681)   #129
the.cosmic.pope
Veteran

Scotland
Arbroath
the.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthe.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG__ View Post
Practice sessions are being streamed with RLM commentary, circuit looks quite busy.

http://live.fiawec.com/
Sound is out of sync by about 10 seconds, lol.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 01:27 (Ref:3150686)   #130
aneesh99
Veteran

United Kingdom
aneesh99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.cosmic.pope View Post
Sound is out of sync by about 10 seconds, lol.
Yeah, it's quite amusing

Kaz put in a really impressive time at the end, a 27.5, awesome!
Old 13 Oct 2012, 01:27 (Ref:3150687)   #131
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
1:27.567 for Nakajima, blasted that lap., up 7 tenths on the Audi.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 01:30 (Ref:3150688)   #132
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
1:27.567 for Nakajima, blasted that lap., up 7 tenths on the Audi.
Not surprising. Home track for the whole team gives them a morale boost, I'd expect.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 01:33 (Ref:3150691)   #133
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Nakajima threw down a 1:27.567, with Treluyer on a 1:28.296.

Interesting interview there with Nishy on RLM.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 01:34 (Ref:3150692)   #134
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
Not surprising. Home track for the whole team gives them a morale boost, I'd expect.
Nakajima is just good at Fuji, period. He's raced there countless times with SuperGT and F-Nippon.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 01:36 (Ref:3150693)   #135
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Nakajima threw down a 1:27.567, with Treluyer on a 1:28.296.

Interesting interview there with Nishy on RLM.
Am I the only thinking Toyota is a legitimate contender for the overall at Le Mans next year?
Old 13 Oct 2012, 01:36 (Ref:3150694)   #136
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
Am I the only thinking Toyota is a legitimate contender for the overall at Le Mans next year?
Lmao, they're gonna win it by like 15 laps next year.

I've been saying this since the 24hr.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 01:38 (Ref:3150697)   #137
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneesh99 View Post
Yeah, it's quite amusing
It's not amusing that this is 7/8 round and most of them have had some sort of technical issues. Async audio is a new one, but distorted aspect ratio, just unbearable audio quality etc.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 01:45 (Ref:3150701)   #138
the.cosmic.pope
Veteran

Scotland
Arbroath
the.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthe.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
It's not amusing that this is 7/8 round and most of them have had some sort of technical issues. Async audio is a new one, but distorted aspect ratio, just unbearable audio quality etc.
I think its on the RLM end. When they did a montage at the end, it was perfectly synced.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 03:48 (Ref:3150730)   #139
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Deggis, I checked the TV telemetry during the Japan F1 race; I don't have an inherent reason not to trust it at present.

As for the Spa speeds, either the tables are lying, or the commentators from last year's race coverage were lying; take your pick.

Based on the speeds that the cars are simply stalling out at without DRS, the current F1 cars are carrying more drag than even the V8-powered ones of just a few years ago.

On the TV graphics, the quickest I saw at Monza without DRS was 325/326km/h from a Mercedes. A 2008 Peugeot did 327km/h, and though power for LMP1s has dropped since then, the commentators on the Le Mans coverage in the last year or two quoted speeds as having gotten back to 2008 levels in terms of the top-end, caused by more trimmed-out setups on the cars at Le Mans now. (I would also imagine that the narrower rear wing decreases the inherent drag of the current LMPs.)

Thanks, I'll look for that plus sign on the WEC page.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 04:14 (Ref:3150735)   #140
JAG__
Rookie

England
JAG__ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://mobile.twitter.com/OAKRacing...137792/photo/1
Old 13 Oct 2012, 04:26 (Ref:3150736)   #141
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
Deggis, I checked the TV telemetry during the Japan F1 race; I don't have an inherent reason not to trust it at present.
With telemetry you mean the onboard telemetry? It isn't shown all the time though.

Quote:
As for the Spa speeds, either the tables are lying, or the commentators from last year's race coverage were lying; take your pick.
I have no reason not to trust numbers I can go recheck (and you can too) right now, so I think I'm going to trust the tables. I'm not saying they're lying (you mean RLM?) but just really doubtful if you heard it correctly and even if you did you still remember it correctly. And where would they have gotten these speeds if not from the official timing?

The official speed trap spots might not be always in the optimal places but at least I'd expect them to be in the same places every year.

Quote:
On the TV graphics, the quickest I saw at Monza without DRS was 325/326km/h from a Mercedes. A 2008 Peugeot did 327km/h, and though power for LMP1s has dropped since then
No DRS in 2009/2010:

http://www.formula1.com/results/seas...peed_trap.html
http://www.formula1.com/results/seas...peed_trap.html

Quote:
the commentators on the Le Mans coverage in the last year or two quoted speeds as having gotten back to 2008 levels in terms of the top-end, caused by more trimmed-out setups on the cars at Le Mans now. (I would also imagine that the narrower rear wing decreases the inherent drag of the current LMPs.)
Somewhat true, at least for Peugeot (pdf) last year.

Last edited by deggis; 13 Oct 2012 at 04:55.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 04:54 (Ref:3150738)   #142
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This might sound like a crazy idea and please dont call for the white van but surely in this day in age you can have the radio commentary and the tv pictures linked so that they are not talking over the pit interviews?

Just putting it out there....
Old 13 Oct 2012, 05:02 (Ref:3150739)   #143
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
This might sound like a crazy idea and please dont call for the white van but surely in this day in age you can have the radio commentary and the tv pictures linked so that they are not talking over the pit interviews?

Just putting it out there....
ACO is why we can't have.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 05:24 (Ref:3150741)   #144
TF110
Veteran

United States
Good lap by Nakajima, even Akio Toyoda welcomed him!
Old 13 Oct 2012, 05:51 (Ref:3150743)   #145
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Full qual session already (!) online: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xua...-live-rec_auto

(For the first 10 mins or so audio and aspect ratio are totally screwed up, of course.)
Old 13 Oct 2012, 06:21 (Ref:3150744)   #146
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
I can re-watch race recordings, and re-check that way, so the tables are NOT unique in that respect. And you just said so yourself, that the traps may not be in the optimum location, so I prefer to have the onboard resource, if available, to look at.

As for trap location changes, well, it is an ASSUMPTION that they don't move. In fact, it is a real count against them if they never move in response to changes in the performance characteristics of the cars. Also, at Le Mans, for instance, some years, the trap has been on one section of the Mulsanne, while in other years, it has been on the run to Indianapolis.

On that topic, the Suzuka speeds listed for F1 make me think that that speed trap may be right before the Casio Triangle, and NOT either right before 130R or before Turn 1.

Also, you conveniently cut off one of my paragraphs, where I tie in that top-end speeds have been reported to have returned more to 2008 Le Mans levels. Of course, I know DRS wasn't around before 2011, but then again, F1 isn't using those cars now, nor was I trying to draw a parallel between F1 cars then and now.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 06:28 (Ref:3150745)   #147
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
it was nice to be able to watch the sessions. That was a darn good lap from Kaz. I wonder, with the seeming lack in falling lap times through the successive sessions, whether the fastest race lap will be right up there with pole, or even a touch quicker.

I definitely don't have any more love for that final sector than I did when F1 ran here in 2007-08; McNish certainly didn't sound enthused with it either. Not to mention, all that width, and still, so much trouble with traffic in that section.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 08:40 (Ref:3150769)   #148
TF110
Veteran

United States
Its a twist to a straight forward track. Climbing back up in the final sector to set yourself up for a good run up the front straight. Definitely challenging and there's a good amount of time to lose or gain in just the last two turns.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 12:07 (Ref:3150874)   #149
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Good lap by Nakajima, even Akio Toyoda welcomed him!
Who did the qualy lap for Toyota ?
Old 13 Oct 2012, 12:12 (Ref:3150875)   #150
airbusA346
Veteran

England
Staffordshire, UK
airbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridairbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Who did the qualy lap for Toyota ?
Nakajima.