Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 13 Oct 2012, 14:18 (Ref:3150915)   #151
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Wow ..... Im impressed !!! ..... I wouldnt have thought he had what Wurz-Lapierre had , so fair dues to him , and fair dues to Toyota for giving him a chance at qualifying , especially on his home turf ....... which he obviously he knows well .

this is shaping up for a great race ..........
Old 13 Oct 2012, 16:24 (Ref:3150971)   #152
trahsub
Racer

United States
Long Island, NY
trahsub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A little off topic...but what is Toyota doing so 'right' in this LMP program that they just could get right in their F1 program?

Just better rules to work with given their (hybrid) expertise?
Old 13 Oct 2012, 16:43 (Ref:3150984)   #153
Stefvh
Veteran

Belgium
Stefvh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My thought is that the opposition is just not the same.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 17:05 (Ref:3150995)   #154
aneesh99
Veteran

United Kingdom
aneesh99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by trahsub View Post
Just better rules to work with given their (hybrid) expertise?
Or that Audi simply isn't as good as everyone thought they were.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 17:17 (Ref:3151000)   #155
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Or maybe it shows that Audi was right when they said at the beginning of the season that the rules favour petrol cars
Old 13 Oct 2012, 17:21 (Ref:3151002)   #156
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Of course the rules favour petrol cars now, they were always trying to balance a works Audi effort against privateer petrol efforts (Bar AMR). This is the first time we have a seen a proper full on works Petrol effort.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 17:26 (Ref:3151004)   #157
GT3.14
Veteran

GT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The flywheel system in the Audi is a major flaw. It would be interesting to see how it would do with SCs. I have always had the impression Audi gets a little too confident and becomes a little lazy when things are going their way. The R8 was dominant. The R10 was until Peugeot showed up, the 908 was much faster straight from the start. Audi's only hope in the Audi-Peugeot diesel era was that the 908s would break or make a strategy error.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 17:33 (Ref:3151007)   #158
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3.14 View Post
The flywheel system in the Audi is a major flaw. It would be interesting to see how it would do with SCs.
The philosophy behind the LMP1 rules is that every propulsion technology (petrol, petrol hybrid, diesel, diesel hybrid) has an equal chance at winning a race. It is clear that this was not the case in the last WEC rounds where there were a lot of hybrid activation zones. The R18 ultra could not keep up with the hybrid cars in traffic.

I am sure that Audi knows that their flywheel solution is a compromise. Because of their heavy diesel engine, they can not use supercapacitors. Similarly they could not put the hybrid system on the rear because that would kill the weight distribution.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 17:39 (Ref:3151010)   #159
aneesh99
Veteran

United Kingdom
aneesh99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
Similarly they could not put the hybrid system on the rear because that would kill the weight distribution.
Oh, I didn't know that. I assumed they went with the front wheel system for marketing purposes.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 17:39 (Ref:3151011)   #160
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think the other question you have to ask with Audi is have they become blinkered with Le Mans? For example, when Peugeot were competing with Audi on any "conventional" track they usually had the beating of Audi, but when it came to Le Mans they found it very difficult to match Audi and you could tell Audi had developed the car for lower downforce even when running on higher downforce tracks.

Now you can see that once again the same pattern is emerging, i wont lie i haven't looked for or actively seeked out any speed trap data to support my statements so i could be talking a load of rubbish but it does beg the question. Do Audi only really care about Le Mans?
Old 13 Oct 2012, 17:52 (Ref:3151019)   #161
GT3.14
Veteran

GT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
when it came to Le Mans they found it very difficult to match Audi and you could tell Audi had developed the car for lower downforce even when running on higher downforce tracks.
Le Mans Qualifying
1.Peugeot
2.Audi +.572
3.Peugeot
4.Audi
5.Audi
1.Peugeot
2.Peugeot
3.Peugeot
Nearest Audi was over 5.3 seconds off of the pole time
1.Peugeot
2.Audi +.762
3.Peugeot
4.Pesca Peugeot
5.Peugeot
1.Peugeot
2.Peugeot
3.Peugeot
4.Oreca Peugeot
Nearest Audi +2.270

I don't think Peugeot had any problems with pace at Le Mans.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 18:54 (Ref:3151059)   #162
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneesh99 View Post
Oh, I didn't know that. I assumed they went with the front wheel system for marketing purposes.
They could have just called the car R18 e-tron.

The Audi engineers did a tradeoff analysis and decided that a front hybrid system would be the best solution for them. Toyota came to a different conclusion, but they have the lighter petrol engine and a heavier supercapacitors. Maybe the Audi engineers were wrong as they did not correctly assess the impact on front tyre wear.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 19:27 (Ref:3151074)   #163
GT3.14
Veteran

Quote:
They could have just called the car R18 e-tron
I thought the marketing angle was quattro, not e-tron since that could be any hybrid configuration.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 19:35 (Ref:3151078)   #164
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
I meant that if they would have opted for a rear hybrid, the marketing people would have been named it the R18 e-tron. The quattro is just a bonus.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 19:55 (Ref:3151081)   #165
JAG__
Rookie

England
JAG__ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The philosophy behind the LMP1 rules is that every propulsion technology (petrol, petrol hybrid, diesel, diesel hybrid) has an equal chance at winning a race. It is clear that this was not the case in the last WEC rounds where there were a lot of hybrid activation zones. The R18 ultra could not keep up with the hybrid cars in traffic.
That's the theory for '14 when fuel-fuel and weight will be altered to compensate for different technologies, right now a hybrid system offers a pure performance advantage, in return for a smaller fuel tank.

In fairness, since Sao Paulo, the R18 e-tron has not looked down on power, if anything it's lacking in downforce/grip.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 19:56 (Ref:3151083)   #166
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I meant that if they would have opted for a rear hybrid, the marketing people would have been named it the R18 e-tron. The quattro is just a bonus.
Agree.
The only modern marketing chosen technology is the Diesel engines. All other technologies and developments is based on performance which the marketing departments then implement into their needs.

Much like the 908 HDI-FAP would have a particle filter no matter what, Peugeot just chose to marketing the use so the LMP would be "more" road relevant.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 20:16 (Ref:3151096)   #167
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Much like the 908 HDI-FAP would have a particle filter no matter what, Peugeot just chose to marketing the use so the LMP would be "more" road relevant.
Or the 908 HYbrid4 that had no 4WD whatsoever.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 20:19 (Ref:3151100)   #168
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Maybe I missed an earlier discussion, but I've been somewhat surprised at the general lack of comment about the Toyota rear wing arrangement (the two side pieces, and the sort of double-endplate thing going on there).

It reminds a bit of this example of getting around wing length limitations in the rules.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0kdfyNpzYU
Old 13 Oct 2012, 20:27 (Ref:3151105)   #169
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Maybe I missed an earlier discussion, but I've been somewhat surprised at the general lack of comment about the Toyota rear wing arrangement (the two side pieces, and the sort of double-endplate thing going on there).

It reminds a bit of this example of getting around wing length limitations in the rules.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0kdfyNpzYU
There has been several discussions over the Toyota high rear wheel arch. I think you need to check the Toyota thread and or the Silverstone race thread.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 20:38 (Ref:3151110)   #170
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
There has been several discussions over the Toyota high rear wheel arch. I think you need to check the Toyota thread and or the Silverstone race thread.
Some relevant posts:
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...17#post3124317
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...05#post3124605
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...36#post3125536

The analysis on http://www.mulsannescorner.com/newsjuly12.html is also a must to read.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 22:51 (Ref:3151180)   #171
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Warmup will start in 5 minutes.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 23:18 (Ref:3151193)   #172
Ziemas
Rookie

Sweden
Sweden
Ziemas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope the commentary won't be this out of sync during the race/on the other streams.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 23:37 (Ref:3151206)   #173
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Having most of the sessions with video sure is a nice treat. The Asian races are in a sensible time zone for those of us in Western North America too.
Old 13 Oct 2012, 23:45 (Ref:3151210)   #174
tyronnezx
Racer

Sri Lanka
New Zealand
tyronnezx has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
guys, where can i watch the race online? im in New Zealand
Old 13 Oct 2012, 23:48 (Ref:3151214)   #175
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
live.fiawec.com