Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 9 Feb 2017, 06:15 (Ref:3711131)   #1501
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
mceci1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
That's just it, really.

Anybody else thinking of purchasing a REC, needs to have a very good reason to. They need to submit a strong business case for wanting one, that also shows they have the resources to service the REC, as well as proof of ongoing sustainability.

Yet, LDM have two, and pretty much operate on a round-by-round basis. If SC really wanted to, they could install somebody in the team to sort the finances out and make it viable again. But I guess when you bite the hand that feeds you by taking them to court, to keep said RECs, and then have the hide to hit them up for damages... what hope have you got?
I agree and disagree. LDM is becoming a joke, and I did have some support but they aren't willing to change. There was a major NASCAR team who along with Penske two years ago looking at joining two cars, they couldn't because no REC's were available. By removing a team it damages reputation, by keeping them it prevents good teams from coming. What do V8s do in this case. I think it was Richard Petty who was really interested, never went ahead. By putting more REC's available for teams who are seriously interested it will help. And having the likes of Roland Dane, Tim Edwards (given his background), Roger Penske and Richard Petty in the sport will bring interest from other manufacturers too, especially in the case of Petty and Penske. The other thing is that we need the smaller people to keep it going to. Through smaller teams it keeps small interest groups attracted knowing that they could get in, big teams attract big teams. It needs to be balanced.
Old 9 Feb 2017, 06:17 (Ref:3711132)   #1502
PS2244
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW
PS2244 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
You might have one thing right there, the rest is (incorrect) guessing.

A driver's sponsors very rarely want to stay on for another pilot. I notice for example that Mr Oaklands has been conspicuous by his absence on social media regarding his support. Will that support remain for whoever Plan C might offer up? When you read what he wanted to do, to support the young kid, it seems unlikely.

There are drivers around with partial budgets. The question is, can multiple drivers be used in a single entry across the year. There was a precedent set last year when Mr Russell escaped Erebus for the codrive in the enduros at LDM. In theory it shouldnt have been allowed to happen, Mr Russell nominated at the start of the season and all that. Lack of funding is not usually a force majeure condition.

If you had 3 blokes (or blokettes) with $500k in backing each, could they each drive 13 or 14 or 15 races each (including AGP & Enduros) and not upset the applecart?

There is a rule in F1 for example that a 2 car team can have no more than 4 pilots in a year, to hunt away selling rides across the year. Dont recall it in the VASA rulebook, yet the 2017 edition isnt up yet.

The 3 fellas I am thinking of all ran main game last season at some stage, and presumably each qualify for a SuperLicence
I get what you mean, but all I've heard so far is Andre is going to get the gig full time the other two are out of the equation Andre wasn't that far off of Matt in terms of funding but I agree Oakland's and cavalier homes will probably leave
Old 9 Feb 2017, 06:18 (Ref:3711133)   #1503
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Good thing that CAMS have stuck to the plan with this one. If I was running a team in the main game, I'd be a bit relieved that this guy wasn't out there to deliver a repeat of his Sandown efforts.

Giving dispensation to Mr Rulio is one thing and could be argued for / against but to do so for Mr Chadha after his Sandown head explosion (and seeming inability to accept afterwards that he'd stuffed up) would be one step too far IMHO.

He may well end up being a reasonable race driver but after that Sandown mess, he really needs to show a level of maturity and competency to jump into the main game.

Don't know how this didn't get sorted before the season launch - maybe it was a question of the deal coming together late and timelines not matching up?
Another name needs to be added to that list, Jack Le Brocq. His performance at Sandown last year was terrible for a front runner, Hazlewood and then fencing Douglas. Chadha only did it once and it was a big stuff up but he learnt I think, Le Brocq and people like that wont, same as SVG too aggressive, at least though SVG will admit he is wrong and apologise. I used to be a fan of Jack, but I have lost a lot of respect after his Sandown incidents.
Old 9 Feb 2017, 06:38 (Ref:3711136)   #1504
PS2244
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW
PS2244 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mceci1 View Post
Another name needs to be added to that list, Jack Le Brocq. His performance at Sandown last year was terrible for a front runner, Hazlewood and then fencing Douglas. Chadha only did it once and it was a big stuff up but he learnt I think, Le Brocq and people like that wont, same as SVG too aggressive, at least though SVG will admit he is wrong and apologise. I used to be a fan of Jack, but I have lost a lot of respect after his Sandown incidents.
Yeah I lost all respect for him when he bashed Chahda after only hours ago he had spun out the leader of the race on the final lap with a completely amateurish manuever
Old 9 Feb 2017, 06:49 (Ref:3711137)   #1505
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mr Chadha's incident at Sandown was one of many over the season, that left some scratching their heads. At one stage, Andrew Jones stepped in, to offer advice on racecraft, etc.

Having said that, I don't fully agree that the Sandown take-off was entirely his fault. But I do agree that he shouldn't be competing in the maingame, and neither should Mr Rullo at this stage. Long gone are the days where the likes of young guns such as Lowndes, S. Richards, Tander etc were plucked straight out of Formula Ford, and offered paid drives in the big league.

The gap between '90s era FF and touring cars, both in money and talent depth was probably smaller than DVS and the maingame. One season, mid-rear of the pack in DVS isn't sufficient experience. Even guys like Waters and Davies, who've run at the pointy end in recent years, have struggled with the transition. They've had plenty of national level tin-top experience. Championship wins, too.

I feel like drivers such as Aaren Russell, the Gracie/SdS thing, and perhaps Shae Davies if you will, have set a poor precedent of being totally out of their depth, but there because the money allowed them to be.

Are we coming to a point where SC needs to place a bit of emphasis on ensuring a quality grid?
Old 9 Feb 2017, 07:00 (Ref:3711139)   #1506
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Warburton
We need to review the Superlicense because there is self-interest and the points are way too skewed towards Formula 4
The hypocrisy of this statement from the Supercars CEO, accusing another body of "self-interest" when Supercars have done nothing but act in their own self-interest ever since 1997, and during Mr Warburton's reign.

Just a ridiculous comment....but i guess it's a story emanating from their own Supercars website...

http://www.supercars.com/news/champi...-superlicense/

Quote:
Are we coming to a point where SC needs to place a bit of emphasis on ensuring a quality grid?
Is the money out there to support this?

The way they've set the series up currently with all the costs involved, it pretty much requires drivers with a budget these days to ensure a grid. Is there enough drivers out there 'up to standard' with the budget in their pockets to match?
Old 9 Feb 2017, 07:03 (Ref:3711140)   #1507
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
The hypocrisy of this statement from the Supercars CEO, accusing another body of "self-interest" when Supercars have done nothing but act in their own self-interest ever since 1997, and during Mr Warburton's reign.?
Supercars are a commercial body.

CAMS are an ASN and bound by rules that should prevent exactly this sort of bias. Plus they should not have ever owned a category.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Old 9 Feb 2017, 07:13 (Ref:3711142)   #1508
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post

Is the money out there to support this?

The way they've set the series up currently with all the costs involved, it pretty much requires drivers with a budget these days to ensure a grid. Is there enough drivers out there 'up to standard' with the budget in their pockets to match?
Could SC source suitably-licensed and experienced pilots, and cover their income and expenses? Then it's up to the teams to pitch that driver's marketability to the potential sponsors, to source the budget to race.
Old 9 Feb 2017, 07:39 (Ref:3711146)   #1509
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
https://autoaction.com.au/2017/02/09...a-superlicence

This I support.

Old 9 Feb 2017, 08:22 (Ref:3711148)   #1510
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Could SC source suitably-licensed and experienced pilots, and cover their income and expenses? Then it's up to the teams to pitch that driver's marketability to the potential sponsors, to source the budget to race.
Only problem is the current driver contracts - in my opinion, way too high. You'd never hear anyone say SC's rivals footy in terms of popularity/TV ratings/money etc, yet their stars are on similar coin. You could argue it's danger pay, but footy isn't that far behind in those terms
Old 9 Feb 2017, 08:35 (Ref:3711153)   #1511
Umai Naa
Veteran

Earnings haven't been mentioned for a while, but there wouldn't be too many up around $1mil anymore.
Old 9 Feb 2017, 08:41 (Ref:3711154)   #1512
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromised View Post
Only problem is the current driver contracts - in my opinion, way too high. You'd never hear anyone say SC's rivals footy in terms of popularity/TV ratings/money etc, yet their stars are on similar coin. You could argue it's danger pay, but footy isn't that far behind in those terms
This is utterly false. Base AFL wage is $300k with the stars earning in excess of $1m plus endorsements. I would suggest there is not a single driver earning that much anymore.

Old 9 Feb 2017, 08:41 (Ref:3711156)   #1513
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromised View Post
Supercar drivers are usually far betters ambassadors for their team's sponsors than the ball sport players. For a start there is only a couple of drivers per team, so the spotlight is on you to perform in the media - many footballers rarely front the camera at all.
Old 9 Feb 2017, 08:43 (Ref:3711157)   #1514
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
This is utterly false. Base AFL wage is $300k with the stars earning in excess of $1m plus endorsements. I would suggest there is not a single driver earning that much anymore.

So Lowndes killed the market for everyone?
Old 9 Feb 2017, 08:55 (Ref:3711159)   #1515
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
This is utterly false. Base AFL wage is $300k
$300K would be the average wage over the entire league.
Base wage for a first year rookie is about $70K plus match payments of around $3K if he gets a seniors call up.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Old 9 Feb 2017, 08:57 (Ref:3711160)   #1516
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver TBA View Post
$300K would be the average wage over the entire league.
Base wage for a first year rookie is about $70K plus match payments of around $3K if he gets a seniors call up.

You are right. $300k for a guy who plays actual football every week. Still the salary cap of $10m per team would pay the entire Supercars field wages.

Old 9 Feb 2017, 08:57 (Ref:3711161)   #1517
Umai Naa
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
So Lowndes killed the market for everyone?
Lowndes, Will Davison and James Courtney.
Old 9 Feb 2017, 09:08 (Ref:3711162)   #1518
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Earnings haven't been mentioned for a while, but there wouldn't be too many up around $1mil anymore.
Yes not equal but Supercars is not the equal of football either (in financial/ratings/reach terms).
Old 9 Feb 2017, 09:12 (Ref:3711163)   #1519
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
You are right. $300k for a guy who plays actual football every week. Still the salary cap of $10m per team would pay the entire Supercars field wages.

Plenty of guys earning under $200K who are in a teams best 22, but I do get your point. I reckon the 10 million would cover not only all drivers, but probably codrivers too.

With plenty of change to run LDM competitively.

Old 9 Feb 2017, 09:29 (Ref:3711166)   #1520
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post

The 3 fellas I am thinking of all ran main game last season at some stage, and presumably each qualify for a SuperLicence
All of those three might have a little more of a bargaining chip now that the Chadha deal has fallen over. That is of course, if any/all three of those blokes are still interested in the drive, and I'm not sure they are...
Old 9 Feb 2017, 09:30 (Ref:3711167)   #1521
mceci1
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Lowndes, Will Davison and James Courtney.
How
Old 9 Feb 2017, 09:35 (Ref:3711168)   #1522
scr
Rookie

Australia
Australia
scr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
All of those three might have a little more of a bargaining chip now that the Chadha deal has fallen over. That is of course, if any/all three of those blokes are still interested in the drive, and I'm not sure they are...
Would anyone want to drive for LDM right now? A competitive co drive would be a much better option.
Old 9 Feb 2017, 09:40 (Ref:3711169)   #1523
Umai Naa
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mceci1 View Post
How
At various stages all three commanded yearly salaries, circa $1M.
Old 9 Feb 2017, 09:43 (Ref:3711170)   #1524
Umai Naa
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr View Post
Would anyone want to drive for LDM right now? A competitive co drive would be a much better option.
That's just it.

They're not desirable seats. Even drivers with budgets that could probably get themselves a fair way into the season don't want to be there.

Better off doing a deal for an enduro slot, and go play in Carrera Cup, Super2, AusGT, or something to keep match-fit.
Old 9 Feb 2017, 11:22 (Ref:3711188)   #1525
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods