Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 4 May 2000, 23:20 (Ref:10918)   #1
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The radio's staying!!!!!! From what I've seen there's not much difference from road cars - I think even fibre glass is banned...

I'm already a member of the MGOC - is a goatie beard allowed?? Maybe I'll have to have a shave... I'm going to the next three meetings, Zolder, Thruxton and Combe - so i'll check it out..

Hopefully the regs will come through next week..

Old 5 May 2000, 07:10 (Ref:10916)   #2
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Something I put in another forum, but was suggested I put it here....

We have now started to plan for next year...
Options for racing include: MG Midget in the MGOC series, as I've just got hold of bargain - although it's 1500, rumber bumper version..

I've sent off for the regs, but from what I've seen its all pretty basic and modifaications are limited.. Apart from the usual safety requirements. What should I be looking at modifying first for the best value of money?? I'm realistic enough to know that we'll be chugging round at the back for the first year. But I reckon that suspension, exhaust, carbs, manifold, and brake modifications are the best way to start going quickly for value of expenditure... Am i well off the mark???
Old 5 May 2000, 08:17 (Ref:10917)   #3
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds pretty good, Dan.

Are these stripped out, big-arched monsters or complete down-to-the-radio club racers?
Can we lose the rubber bumpers and grow some chrome ones?!

Do we have to join the MGOC? What kind of moustache do I have to grow? (Just kidding!!!)

As you suggest, brakes and suspension are the ways to go in a learning year. Uprated engine and driveline parts will come when the familiarity suggests the car's slowing down!
Do tell when you receive the regs. I'm interested to know about driveline weight. Can we drastically lighten the flywheel/clutch/propshaft etc? This will have an incredible effect on throttle response, and make the car feel twice as powerful. Same thing with body weight. The more we can (legally) shed, the more responsive the whole car will be to handling changes. (Isn't the general rule, 10lbs of weight is equal to 1hp?) Same thing with weight relocation. Most regs require a battery in the boot (or at least out of the engine bay) this could be used to advantage to balance the car.

This is gonna be exciting I reckon!
Maybe pretty expensive if it gets bent though!
Old 8 May 2000, 07:53 (Ref:10919)   #4
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
The regs arrived this weekend - going to have a decent read later. All looks quite promising though..

Doesn't look too expensive, but depends on how competitive you can afford to be!!!
Old 8 May 2000, 19:20 (Ref:10920)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A suggestion.

If you want a good (legal) head. Go to Peter Burgess in Derby.
Old 11 May 2000, 07:08 (Ref:10921)   #6
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Now had a decent read of the regs.... there' pretty restrictive on the mods your allowed to do. Not allowed a modified head on a 1500 Midget!! But looks like there's plenty of scope in the Carbs / Exhuast department..

Main mods can happen in the suspension area - lower the car as far as it can go!!!

Shall have a long chat with the drivers over the next few weeks to get a realisitic view on budgets!!
Old 11 May 2000, 07:35 (Ref:10922)   #7
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Not that I'd advocate cheating of course, ( ) but we need to do some research here.

Which market used the 1500 (Triumph) engine with the highest static compression ratio and largest valves?

That would be OK wouldn't it?
Old 11 May 2000, 07:39 (Ref:10923)   #8
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
I see what you mean - ie the americans may have had different heads - which may mean better performance, but it's still a pucka 1500 Truimph head...

May be worth while doing some research!!