Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 15 Nov 2004, 02:18 (Ref:1153608)   #1
Audi R8R
Racer

Audi R8R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Balfe Motorsport - Spanish GT Champions!

BALFE AND TAYLOR CROWNED SPANISH GT CHAMPIONS

Shaun Balfe and Nigel Taylor clinched the Spanish GT Championship in front of 58,000 fans at the Grand Prix venue the Circuit de Catalunya on the outskirts of Barcelona on Sunday afternoon (November 14).

A dramatic final two-hour race was won by the Newark Glass Group backed teams title rivals, Angel Burgueno and Miguel de Castro. However, second place was enough to give the Balfe Motorsport squad the overall title by just a single point, after starting the race from sixth on the grid.

“This is just fantastic,” said Balfe. “The team has worked so hard to give myself and Nigel the chance to lift the title and it was made so difficult for us, especially today, I really can’t believe it,” he added.

Some slick pit-work and flawless driving by Taylor and Balfe allowed them to lead the race twice, as their rivals came into the pits for fuel and tyres. The teams were also claiming double points for the race – with the first set of points given after the opening hour.

An inspired race strategy by their rivals – with Burgueno handing the car over to quicker driver de Castro at the end of the first lap – put them almost a lap down on Balfe in the opening quarter of the race.

When Balfe handed over to Taylor on lap 14 the Mosler was already into the lead after Shaun had passed Jordi Gene in the Seat Cupra GT when he was tapped into a spin by a slower car.

In the final stages of the race, de Castro tried in vain to put Balfe, who had been unable to stay in front of the Marcos LM600 but was following closely, off guard with some not-so-subtle weaving and brake testing antics.

The Marcos pair had lost the title in the final round 12-months earlier, as Balfe had with the British title, and was trying everything possible to stop the Mosler MT900R from following him across the line.

“I was really starting to worry when he began weaving as everything had gone according to plan up to that point,” explained Balfe. “I told the team over the radio as soon as he started and it went on for about five laps before we went to the Clerk of the Course who then gave them a warning. After that, he decided to keep a constant pace and it was a case of following him home.

“I know that I said that I hadn’t thought about the title this season and I hadn’t up until that point, but I came second last year and after the hard work we had all put in, especially this weekend, I wasn’t going to go home in that place again!” he added.

Balfe now has a week to get used to the feeling of being the new Spanish GT Champion, before jetting off to Bahrain in the Middle East for a one-off GT Festival, alongside 2003 rival Martin Short in his Mosler, being run by the Balfe squad.
Old 15 Nov 2004, 02:33 (Ref:1153612)   #2
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, fantastic news. British Champions in the Spanish GT championship, a really good result for Balfe Motorsport. Where for 2005 though? Spanish GT's, or the ever improving British GT's? At this point in time id say British GT is where the competition is...
Old 15 Nov 2004, 03:10 (Ref:1153632)   #3
Gunman
Racer

United States
Mooresville, NC
Gunman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Congrats to Balfe!! lets hope the luck continues in Bahrain!!
Old 15 Nov 2004, 03:23 (Ref:1153637)   #4
sportscarsRULE
Racer

United States
Bristol, TN
sportscarsRULE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great to hear a GT race got 58,000 fans. I thought Spain was more into motorcycle racing.
Old 15 Nov 2004, 09:59 (Ref:1153795)   #5
Audi R8R
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by SALEEN S7R
Yes, fantastic news. British Champions in the Spanish GT championship, a really good result for Balfe Motorsport. Where for 2005 though? Spanish GT's, or the ever improving British GT's? At this point in time id say British GT is where the competition is...
I wouldn't place them anywhere just yet. They might be somewhere altogether different.
Old 15 Nov 2004, 10:02 (Ref:1153797)   #6
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Oh go on - Tell us - Surely not a Mosler works entry in the World rally championship!!!

Well done to the boys - a great championship win
Old 16 Nov 2004, 08:23 (Ref:1154743)   #7
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great season for Shaun & Nigel on the whole team...gotta go some way to washing out the sour taste left by last years British GT conclusion...and they got to spend a year in the sun too
58,000 and what looked like a healthy grid...wow
Old 17 Nov 2004, 12:02 (Ref:1155854)   #8
Audi R8R
Racer

It's a cracking championship in Spain, I have to admit. It's a lot more relaxed and not so high pressured (well, except for the last round if you're the title favourites and are not Spanish!) But the level of competition is very high. There's plenty of mixture on the grid with both older and modern GT machinery.

And the weather wa just as mixed as the UK! (Jarama race one was postponed because the track flooded!) and Valencia was a washout that became so dark they canned the race until the next day!

Jerez was lovely and warm mind!
Old 17 Nov 2004, 12:40 (Ref:1155879)   #9
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
to Balfe Motorsport (but as a Dutchman I had prefered a victory for one of Euser's Marcos LM600 cars )
Old 17 Nov 2004, 12:56 (Ref:1155894)   #10
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So Audi R8R what plans do they have for next year, Italian? FIA? ALMS? I know speaking to Shaun at Donington he said one of the reasons for doing Spain was he was a bit fed up of the same old British circuits