Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 15 Mar 2001, 17:27 (Ref:71412)   #1
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Bearing in mind that none of the BTC class cars have run alongside each other and in reality only the Vauxhall's have run in anger, how close do you think the cars will be in lap time.

I have no doubt that the designers have done lap simulations to see what is likely. But what if, on the first full test day, the Pug's end up 1 second a lap quicker than the Vauxhall's.

With the other cars that have not run at all yet (Lexus and Alfa) the gap could be even greater or even less - who know's.

Does this give a theoretical advantage to MG who will have half the season to see what times the other works cars can do, before 'tweaking' their cars before they enter. They will be the only team that know's what it will have to compete with before they turn a wheel.

This could make interesting viewing.....
Old 15 Mar 2001, 19:26 (Ref:71442)   #2
SPOONERBORO
Veteran

United Kingdom
UK
SPOONERBORO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
do we still have them crappy weight penalties in force in 2001
Old 15 Mar 2001, 20:19 (Ref:71468)   #3
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Danielsun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Weight penalties, my friend, were the only thing that stopped Ford drivers winning every single race in season 2000. If they'd been around in 1999, maybe Plato or Rydell would have been able to challenge the Nissans more regularly.

As for the 2001 cars, well, who knows? Vauxhall have the edge and experience, but that hasn't helped them much since the Cavalier glory days.

Peugeot will do well, especially with the old master, Steve Soper, assisting on the setup of the new cars.

As for the others, we'll just have to wait until Easter Monday...
Old 15 Mar 2001, 20:54 (Ref:71475)   #4
SPOONERBORO
Veteran

United Kingdom
UK
i agree it did close the gap but that is one of things i like to see a manufacturer dominate and then get knocked down a peg or too besides i feel the best teams/ cars should be rewarded aswell!!

p.s does anybody know if the weight penalties are in force in 2001
Old 15 Mar 2001, 20:58 (Ref:71476)   #5
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last I heard there was still penalties and worse than last year. They keep on increasing to a maximum of 60 kgs. You get different weights depending on where you finish - I think 1st to 6th is plus weight, 8th onwards lose it. I had it all written down somewhere but they are not to hand.
Old 17 Mar 2001, 17:39 (Ref:71956)   #6
hunttheshunt
Veteran

hunttheshunt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ford would have wonevery round last year without the weight penalties! I think not! What about Brands-Plato won. And there were plenty of races where Kristensen, Muller, Neal were clearly faster!
Old 18 Mar 2001, 00:54 (Ref:72102)   #7
SPOONERBORO
Veteran

United Kingdom
UK
i think one thing which may make life interesting is that the btct cars will be much closer to btcp cars so you never know wrong track wrong tyres wrong weather etc could see a few suprises sprung i dont mean a win...surely not they couldnt coul they?