Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 5 Oct 2005, 20:54 (Ref:1424765)   #1
barryboy
Rookie

barryboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What's happened to Safety Devices - Roll Cage Manufacturer

Just wondered if anyone knows what's happened to Safety Devices Ltd (the roll cage company) who were based near Cambridge?!

Last edited by EvilPumpkin; 5 Oct 2005 at 21:02. Reason: some rumours are a bit to dodgy to repeat!
Old 6 Oct 2005, 06:14 (Ref:1425025)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Here's a press release:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety Devices

Safety Devices has undergone a recent restructuring and has become Safety Devices International Ltd. At the same time the management team, which continues to be headed by Tony Fall, has been strengthened.

Due to economic pressures, the main manufacturing plant has been relocated to Poland, but all Research and Development, low volume production, one-offs and the ability to offer a full installation service will remain in the UK.

The company continues the majority of its activities including the manufacturing of certified roll cages for the Motor sport and 4X4 markets.

As the new name suggests, the company has a strong International focus and aims to rapidly expand the existing UK, European and USA dealer networks. This will increase the company’s competitiveness as well as putting it into a better position to supply its export markets.

The new offices are based in Newmarket (UK).
Old 6 Oct 2005, 08:22 (Ref:1425099)   #3
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
More British jobs in manufacturing go abroad, where are we all going to end up?
Old 6 Oct 2005, 12:17 (Ref:1425272)   #4
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
More British jobs in manufacturing go abroad, where are we all going to end up?
Working in a warehouse or Tescos
Old 6 Oct 2005, 19:49 (Ref:1425673)   #5
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Yep I recon you may be right.
Old 7 Oct 2005, 06:41 (Ref:1426040)   #6
Pug620
Racer

United Kingdom
UK
Pug620 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not wrong their its now time to get out of this place!!!

or be a Tesco worker!

Old 10 Oct 2005, 08:24 (Ref:1429222)   #7
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I use the roll centre , top people

:-)

Its a crying shame people can't seem to run prosperous manufacturing businesses in this country, I think its as much a desire to make profit as it is to run an hnest business, and its as likely to go pearshaped as it is to succeed overseas.
Old 10 Oct 2005, 10:18 (Ref:1429375)   #8
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Not when your workers only want a weeks pay for a month Zef or if in India 3 months, that is the real problem I am afraid! It will take a while but when they have all caught up and in India I have read it is already starting to happen with massive skill shortages, then the jobs will probably start drifting back to the UK thats if there is anyone here left that can do them!

Personally I am of the opinion that unless other countries pay a similiar wage structure than we do with minimum wages etc. then this and general trade with them should be barred but that is a whole different topic. Wait till Turkey joins the EEC then the fun will really start!
Old 21 Oct 2005, 16:40 (Ref:1439955)   #9
archibold
Racer

United Kingdom
London
archibold should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Before you get too carried away you may pause to think about who ran India for 150 years and left them in such a backward economical state that their wage structure is so different ? Answers on a postcode

To be fair to Safety Devices it seems that they have kept the high value skilled work in the UK in the research, design and sales areas. The work that has gone to Poland sounds like pipe cutting and bending...

Archibold
Old 21 Oct 2005, 17:59 (Ref:1440010)   #10
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
What that got to do with out sourcing especially in Poland, did we rule there as well?

Hope you are not personally effected and your job is secure archibold and you are not sitting on thousands of pounds worth of expensive under used machinery like I am that has to be paid for because all the good work has gone abroad where they pay peanuts to compete against traders like me who have to pay a minimum wage.
Old 23 Oct 2005, 19:55 (Ref:1441497)   #11
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm with Zef. Though I'm biassed counting Shorty as one of my "mentors" in the past.
And actually having tried out the equipment properly, I have to say that I don't intend changing.

There used to be lots of stories about SD in the past, some true, some tosh. They have been successful in the past, and I wish them success in their new venture. Being in Poland, they are ideally placed to move into the market emerging in the old eastern bloc.

I haven't paid attention lately, but do they still market Aleybars?

Rob.
Old 23 Oct 2005, 19:57 (Ref:1441503)   #12
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And I'd rather stack shelves for the Co-Op, at least they're community sprited, and support British Agriculture. "female dog" (not allowed to say *****) moan grump.
Old 28 Oct 2005, 16:21 (Ref:1446152)   #13
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by archibold
The work that has gone to Poland sounds like pipe cutting and bending...

Archibold
interesting thought, last year i was given a tour of the SD factory, there werent actually many staff on the shop floor, the cutting and bending where both done by cnc machinary, even the odd shapes were the tubes meet ot strange angles was done by cnc plasma cutting lathe thingy,

i would say the biggest labour saving was in welding the things together as thats a far slower more labour intensive opperation.

all the SD cages were sand blasted prior to being powered coated, they used to farm the blasting out to a 3rd party on the basis that it was such a horrible nasty dirty job, which presumably added a fair bit to there costs, i guess they will now be able to do that very cheaply in house

its not speed thats dangerous, just the sudden lack of it!