Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Jan 2017, 17:24 (Ref:3702555)   #151
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
I'm also staggered that to convert the hanger building into a heritage centre providing a 2 hour 'interactive experience' is going to cost £20M! As a comparison a well known superstore brand is building a brand new store (which may well be bigger than the hanger) in our area, including demolition of an existing site, creation of car parking, landscaping, etc and we are told the budget for that is £4.5M...

I hope the estimator for the Wing is not leading this project too...!
Or the surveyor ........
Old 14 Jan 2017, 18:41 (Ref:3702575)   #152
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I'm also staggered that to convert the hanger building into a heritage centre providing a 2 hour 'interactive experience' is going to cost £20M! As a comparison a well known superstore brand is building a brand new store (which may well be bigger than the hanger) in our area, including demolition of an existing site, creation of car parking, landscaping, etc and we are told the budget for that is £4.5M...

I hope the estimator for the Wing is not leading this project too...!
Hanger building? Which building and which circuit?
Old 15 Jan 2017, 18:43 (Ref:3702753)   #153
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Hanger building? Which building and which circuit?
Reported to be the last remaining wartime hangar, located to the left of the main entrance. So well outside the circuits.....
Old 16 Jan 2017, 00:54 (Ref:3702810)   #154
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I see they are pimping around the 'we're looking for government money' line.

No. I'm a complete motorsport nut, but I don't want a penny of my taxes going to F1 greed. I hope the government has the sense to tell Bernie where to shove his GP.
Old 16 Jan 2017, 09:32 (Ref:3702887)   #155
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
I see they are pimping around the 'we're looking for government money' line.

No. I'm a complete motorsport nut, but I don't want a penny of my taxes going to F1 greed. I hope the government has the sense to tell Bernie where to shove his GP.
That's not quite what he said at ASI. This is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Warwick in the Grauniad
“We are talking to the government to see if there is any help there,” he said at the Autosport International Show in Birmingham on Friday. “I feel there is light at the end of the tunnel and I think we will have a grand prix past 2019.” He added: “We are feeling very positive at the minute.”
I'm uncomfortable with the idea of taxpayer funds being given to F1, however indirectly, especially as public spending in the UK is being slashed (and we're all seeing the consequences of that) but HMG have a lot of ways of 'assisting' various sporting bodies without that involving large injections of cash.

Desolate and windswept as it is, I like Silverstone and it would be a shame to see it not hosting a GP.
Old 16 Jan 2017, 11:17 (Ref:3702902)   #156
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
That's not quite what he said at ASI. This is:

I'm uncomfortable with the idea of taxpayer funds being given to F1, however indirectly, especially as public spending in the UK is being slashed (and we're all seeing the consequences of that) but HMG have a lot of ways of 'assisting' various sporting bodies without that involving large injections of cash.

Desolate and windswept as it is, I like Silverstone and it would be a shame to see it not hosting a GP.
Any public money going to Silverstone would be a complete disgrace in these straightend times
Old 16 Jan 2017, 12:01 (Ref:3702915)   #157
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Agreed. No GOVT money to Silverstone. In a sport that is so stinking rich and a sub-set of the sport (F1) which is a vacum in terms of money for the rest of motorsport, seeing public money going to prop it up would leave me in a state of revolt.

Last edited by Sodemo; 16 Jan 2017 at 12:08.
Old 16 Jan 2017, 12:23 (Ref:3702921)   #158
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think we can all agree that any public money gfoing to a race track that has been hilariously mis managed in recent years largely through no fault of the BRDC, is bad all round.

It will never happen anyway, they should not qualify for lottery money or anything.

We all know the reasons why they can't make money and it has nothing whatsoever to do with the track or its facilities, location or traffic or anything else.
Old 16 Jan 2017, 13:12 (Ref:3702931)   #159
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post

i agree with this, and those saying it'd be complete nonsense to hand money to silverstone. it's a purely commercial arrangement at an established venue with tons of money flying around. it doesn't encourage new business or employment other than temporary weekend workers, though i suppose there's an arguement that it's important to maintain the race here for the uk motorsport industry, particularly with the next few years of brexit fun ahead.

perhaps it'd be justifyable if the grand prix could be used as an exhibit of british engineering prowess, but i'm not sure the terms and conditions agreed with fom would allow for it to be hijacked in that way.
Old 16 Jan 2017, 21:34 (Ref:3703015)   #160
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i agree with this, and those saying it'd be complete nonsense to hand money to silverstone. it's a purely commercial arrangement at an established venue with tons of money flying around. it doesn't encourage new business or employment other than temporary weekend workers, though i suppose there's an arguement that it's important to maintain the race here for the uk motorsport industry, particularly with the next few years of brexit fun ahead.

perhaps it'd be justifyable if the grand prix could be used as an exhibit of british engineering prowess, but i'm not sure the terms and conditions agreed with fom would allow for it to be hijacked in that way.
Tons of Money? Have a look at Silverstone's last lodged accounts. Cash on hand makes interesting reading...

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 24 Jan 2017 at 18:50. Reason: Just tidying up.
Old 17 Jan 2017, 07:48 (Ref:3703082)   #161
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ooo, a link would be good fella? That would make interesting reading
Old 17 Jan 2017, 12:26 (Ref:3703127)   #162
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Ooo, a link would be good fella? That would make interesting reading
DYOR - google is your friend
Old 17 Jan 2017, 13:45 (Ref:3703147)   #163
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
perhaps someone would be kind enough to suggest which company name to search for on companies house so as to save someone 15 minutes of their own rummaging trying to find the right one...
Old 17 Jan 2017, 13:53 (Ref:3703150)   #164
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
If it was anyone other than me, the link would have been provided, the guy hates me.

I will try later on.
Old 17 Jan 2017, 14:12 (Ref:3703154)   #165
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
perhaps someone would be kind enough to suggest which company name to search for on companies house so as to save someone 15 minutes of their own rummaging trying to find the right one...
Try this for a Silverstone Circuits Ltd summary. (I'm too mean to pay the charge for a copy of the accounts.)

https://companycheck.co.uk/company/0...ies-house-data

Jim
Old 17 Jan 2017, 14:19 (Ref:3703155)   #166
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
cheers jim, that's a great help. trying to figure out where all the interesting dirt is on some organisations can involve checking 5 or 6 different companies so it's nice to see one that's relatively straightforward. it's also available here directly on companies house
Old 17 Jan 2017, 14:48 (Ref:3703161)   #167
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
Quote:
If it was anyone other than me, the link would have been provided, the guy hates me.

I will try later on.
"The Guy" doesn't even know (or care) who you are.....
Old 17 Jan 2017, 15:32 (Ref:3703164)   #168
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
cheers jim, that's a great help. trying to figure out where all the interesting dirt is on some organisations can involve checking 5 or 6 different companies so it's nice to see one that's relatively straightforward. it's also available here directly on companies house
Welcome but I do suspect that there will be a few more companies involved to get a full picture. (BRDC, other companies with Silverstone in the name, The Wing Shambles Ltd?) Traditionally I guess the start would be to do a search on directors.

Jim
Old 17 Jan 2017, 15:52 (Ref:3703165)   #169
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
SILVERSTONE CIRCUITS LTD. Score 15 out of 100.
Risk Maximum Risk - Significant Issues
Credit Limit £0 Credit Limit vs Credit Rating
Find out the difference
Credit Rating £0
There is a deficit in both capital employed and shareholders funds.

There has been a very significant fall in shareholders' funds over the latest accounting period.

There has been a heavy trading loss in the latest accounting period.

In our view this company is a very high credit risk. We therefore recommend you make full & detailed enquiries before offering credit. Add to monitoring list.

This was to the end of December 2015. Still waiting for next accounts.
Old 17 Jan 2017, 16:42 (Ref:3703177)   #170
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Business that size with £9k cash in the bank at year end.....
Old 17 Jan 2017, 16:46 (Ref:3703179)   #171
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

I will try later on.
Wrong again, no discrimination here, I always try to point people in the right direction so that in future they can find their own way.
I love you - I hate inaccuracy and laziness.

'Give a man a fish - he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, he eats for a lifetime.'
Old 17 Jan 2017, 16:56 (Ref:3703182)   #172
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
This was to the end of December 2015. Still waiting for next accounts.
Well it would be. Next accounts, to December 2016, not due until September 2017.

Quote:
Business that size with £9k cash in the bank at year end.....
Unfortunately that doesn't give an accurate picture of today's situation. However, their cash position is very transitory as it relies heavily on advanced ticket sales for the upcoming GP, and the fact that Silverstone continued for a further year says something.

And I add my view that no public money should be used for the circuit. If CVC and the other shareholders of F1 hadn't drained it of all it's revenue, there would have been enough in the kitty to stop all the escalator clauses in the circuits' contracts. And now they want to sell it to a media operation that is having to borrow nearly $2 billion to fund the purchase. Madness.
Old 17 Jan 2017, 17:36 (Ref:3703205)   #173
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Well it would be. Next accounts, to December 2016, not due until September 2017.

Unfortunately that doesn't give an accurate picture of today's situation. However, their cash position is very transitory as it relies heavily on advanced ticket sales for the upcoming GP, and the fact that Silverstone continued for a further year says something.

And I add my view that no public money should be used for the circuit. If CVC and the other shareholders of F1 hadn't drained it of all it's revenue, there would have been enough in the kitty to stop all the escalator clauses in the circuits' contracts. And now they want to sell it to a media operation that is having to borrow nearly $2 billion to fund the purchase. Madness.
Didn't they try and preserve cash income by paying for the GP in arrears?

I concurr that no government money should go into Silverstone to go into the pockets of FOM and frankly some percentage of into wealthy teams like Mercedes and Red Bull either. They have just managed to secure £9M from local councils though for the heritage centre.
Old 17 Jan 2017, 19:00 (Ref:3703222)   #174
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
Quote:
Didn't they try and preserve cash income by paying for the GP in arrears?

I concurr that no government money should go into Silverstone to go into the pockets of FOM and frankly some percentage of into wealthy teams like Mercedes and Red Bull either. They have just managed to secure £9M from local councils though for the heritage centre.

£9m!!! To fill a hanger with stuff?!! Basically a monument to what? Graydon, Donington and Beuliee do a good job already. It would not take a hanger to lay out what a shambles Silverstone has been....
Old 17 Jan 2017, 22:32 (Ref:3703258)   #175
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
Thought I read on another thread here that the whole hangar project is £20million, and didn't they get some lottery funding for it too?
(or was I dreaming?)