Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 8 Oct 2016, 02:33 (Ref:3678283)   #1051
Ospi
Veteran

Ospi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOspi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a dangerous game to play though because they risk the teams who have put down deposits walking away to ligier. I do hope the wait is worth it and it is capable of winning races.
Old 8 Oct 2016, 03:40 (Ref:3678295)   #1052
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin View Post
It's not junk - there is only one reason why the car hasn't raced - they can find more speed (lessons learned in the Riley-Multimatic LMP2 design process)
So they claim....

Quote:
and with a 4 year homologation lock-down it makes perfect sense to have the fastest car you can.
Very true. But don't forget that the Ligier is already under that lockdown. If the Riley was truly ready to go and be competitive, there's no reason not to commit. Ligier's homologation is going to end sooner, so if they rework the car into a superior package, Riley is going to be hurting until their own homologation expires and they can rework the car. The shorter that period is, the easier it'll be to recover if they want to continue the program.

Sure, saying "junk" might be a bit extreme an assumption, but the overall situation makes it look like their package is currently uncompetitive. If they've got a package that can match or beat the Ligier, now's the time to lock it in, not later.
Old 9 Oct 2016, 19:53 (Ref:3678720)   #1053
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where ist the mythical allegedly fast Ava Riley that was due to run at Snetterton?
Old 10 Oct 2016, 13:10 (Ref:3678938)   #1054
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Where ist the mythical allegedly fast Ava Riley that was due to run at Snetterton?
As per comments above - the first car is in USA undergoing reworking of floor, splitter and engine cover

In answer to other comments above - I have spoken to several people who observed the car in testing at Red Bull Ring - it IS already a competitive car.
Old 10 Oct 2016, 16:11 (Ref:3678961)   #1055
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
As per comments above - the first car is in USA undergoing reworking of floor, splitter and engine cover

In answer to other comments above - I have spoken to several people who observed the car in testing at Red Bull Ring - it IS already a competitive car.
GG... this was something I'd brought up long ago in this thread. They are reworking and improving the car PRIOR to homologation. Some choose not to belive.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 10 Oct 2016, 19:08 (Ref:3679004)   #1056
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
I'll believe it when I see it. I've already pointed out why it makes no sense to wait to homolgate if they already have a competitive car.
Old 10 Oct 2016, 19:51 (Ref:3679009)   #1057
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

"Some people" were any of them outside of the Murphy Team? Indeed does anyone know where the Murphy Team is? .....
Old 10 Oct 2016, 20:59 (Ref:3679027)   #1058
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
"Some people" were any of them outside of the Murphy Team? Indeed does anyone know where the Murphy Team is? .....
So no agenda behind that question then?

If you have facts about the car then do feel free to field them here?
Old 10 Oct 2016, 21:07 (Ref:3679029)   #1059
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
I'll believe it when I see it. I've already pointed out why it makes no sense to wait to homolgate if they already have a competitive car.
OK - I'll type it more slowly this time

So - They - Can - Have - A - MORE - Competitive - Car

We'll see when, and only when, the car is out and competing - until then it is all about what you do, and don't believe.

Ligier have several advantages - the others need to grab back ground where they can find them - learning the lessons of other development from within the same design team makes perfect sense before you lock in a four year, no performance improvements permitted, homologation.
Old 10 Oct 2016, 21:18 (Ref:3679032)   #1060
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Bill Riley wouldn't put a car out he didn't think was 100%.
Old 10 Oct 2016, 21:22 (Ref:3679034)   #1061
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Between Österreichring and Nordschleife
Ephaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The point I don't get about FormulaFox's disbelief in the sense of homologating it later is the following: You'll run the season with this thing. I'd assume the whole season. You wouldn't usually change car to a new version of the same manufacturer during the season (cost, uncertainty) except it's a proven new package, well ok. But let's assume we homologate today. What races are there in 4 years where it would matter? If calendars stay the same, say, you could update to a new Riley P3 for the final ELMS race. I would assume though, people wouldn't. They'd update to a new version between seasons. If that assumption is correct, then, it wouldn't matter if you homologate on the first day after the season or the last day before the season, for the teams (ok, logistics and all, maybe, but let's assume you can deliver the new car with homologation on the same day for the sake of the argument). What it would achieve though, is a couple of more months of development time. So yes, the others have a leg up in bringing the new version of the car, but if you can improve your car so it can dominate 2-3 years (no typo here, we assume we only change cars after the season; don't know the homologation date of our first P3 and whether it might return to business with a new version, that's how the "2" gets in there), in the second, and possibly the third year, you'd rock the market. So, with my crude assumption from above, I can certainly see why one would wait to the latest possible (logistically possible to build and ship cars and parts for teams' pre-season tests) date to homologate. Now, if the assumption of keeping your car (of the same manufacturer, mind you) throughout the season is correct, what other mechanics did I overlook?
Old 10 Oct 2016, 21:27 (Ref:3679036)   #1062
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
OK - I'll type it more slowly this time

So - They - Can - Have - A - MORE - Competitive - Car
Okay, since you clearly ignored my response to that point earlier, I'll retype it here.

If the homologation is LOCKED DOWN for a few years then waiting will hurt them in the long run.

The Ligier's homolgoation is already locked in. It's going to end before the Riley's.

Ligier is going to be able to debut an improved car sooner. The longer Riley waits to lock things in, the more time Ligier has to steamroll them with their improvements once their current homologation ends. The longer this period lasts, the more likely it is that Riley will lose customers.

The longer they wait, the harder it will be to win back customers once the Riley's homologation ends.

If they have a competitive car NOW they need to lock it in NOW if they don't want to lose out in the long term. They're not up against some random up-and-comer here, they're up against an established and experienced builder of competitive prototype racecars.

These delays only make sense if the tests have indicated there is an issue that will make the car UNcompetitive - it makes even less sense to knowingly debut an uncompetitive car than it does to sacrifice the long-term for a short-term benefit, after all.

If we were talking about an open development class I could actually understand this - the best possible debut can create far better long-term prospects in such a case. But this is a locked-down class, and the timing of the lockdown with their opponents has put a wrinkle in the matter that WILL screw them over in the long term if they don't play it smartly. Delaying things without a clear NEED to do so is not a good idea.
Old 10 Oct 2016, 21:47 (Ref:3679043)   #1063
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Quote:
Okay, since you clearly ignored my response to that point earlier, I'll retype it here.

If the homologation is LOCKED DOWN for a few years then waiting will hurt them in the long run.

The Ligier's homolgoation is already locked in. It's going to end before the Riley's.

Ligier is going to be able to debut an improved car sooner. The longer Riley waits to lock things in, the more time Ligier has to steamroll them with their improvements once their current homologation ends. The longer this period lasts, the more likely it is that Riley will lose customers.

The longer they wait, the harder it will be to win back customers once the Riley's homologation ends.

If they have a competitive car NOW they need to lock it in NOW if they don't want to lose out in the long term. They're not up against some random up-and-comer here, they're up against an established and experienced builder of competitive prototype racecars.

These delays only make sense if the tests have indicated there is an issue that will make the car UNcompetitive - it makes even less sense to knowingly debut an uncompetitive car than it does to sacrifice the long-term for a short-term benefit, after all.

If we were talking about an open development class I could actually understand this - the best possible debut can create far better long-term prospects in such a case. But this is a locked-down class, and the timing of the lockdown with their opponents has put a wrinkle in the matter that WILL screw them over in the long term if they don't play it smartly. Delaying things without a clear NEED to do so is not a good idea.
I hear your point, and all I can tell you in response is that Tony Ave profoundly disagrees and ultimately it's his call!

He has sold cars already - I believe up to six by last month, and he clearly wants to sell many more - He is very aware that he does not have the depth of investment available that Onroak do and needs to grab the advantages where he can - He believes, whether you accept the answer or the commercial logic or not, that squeezing the best performance that they can out of their package, is worth the delay.

Ginetta did not homologate their car until very late in 2015 (actually AFTER the Ligier I believe) that seems fair enough as the ACO utilised the Ginetta experience to refine the rulebook.

Ultimately the market will decide.
Old 10 Oct 2016, 22:05 (Ref:3679047)   #1064
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Dealing with some posters here is like dealing with the 2016 presidential election. And I'm gonna respond the same way that I already have on FB over the election '16, and that's summed up by this: Welcome to my ignore list.
Old 10 Oct 2016, 22:25 (Ref:3679055)   #1065
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
I hear your point, and all I can tell you in response is that Tony Ave profoundly disagrees and ultimately it's his call!
Indeed it is. Unfortunately, it still makes little sense as presented.

Quote:
He has sold cars already - I believe up to six by last month, and he clearly wants to sell many more
This is, incidentally, another big part of the reason I don't trust the claims. Not only does it make no sense, but the claims are all coming from a person who has a direct vested interest in selling the car. People lie, especially when it comes to things they want/need to sell. If the car is uncompetitive he'd have every reason to keep that under wraps until the problems were fixed.

Quote:
He is very aware that he does not have the depth of investment available that Onroak do and needs to grab the advantages where he can - He believes, whether you accept the answer or the commercial logic or not, that squeezing the best performance that they can out of their package, is worth the delay.
And we shall see one way or another. It's not like long-term success is IMPOSSIBLE here, just that he's putting himself in a harder position by taking this option, assuming his claims are correct.

Quote:
Ultimately the market will decide.
That's actually precisely my point - Ave's playing a dangerous game when it comes to the market for this stuff. If he's lying, it's going to bite him HARD if Riley can't fix it. If he's being truthful it's likely to bite him a couple years down the road when the Ligier gets improved for it's re-homologation.

And that's ignoring the ever-present possibility of it still turning out to be uncompetitive when they finally homologate and run the car.

There's always the possibility that Riley could pull something out with their upgrades a couple years later to win back the customers, but the delays to the program leave me less than confident about their ability to do so.

It is extremely rare for the homologation of a car to be delayed just to make a competitive car even moreso - the only other example I can think of in recent years has been the ongoing Lexus GT3 car - and it's had some very PUBLIC "testing" showing that the car could be competitive and that they're just working on improving it further. The Ave-Riley LMP3 has been kept behind closed doors, so we literally know nothing other than what the creators are claiming.
Old 10 Oct 2016, 23:38 (Ref:3679076)   #1066
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
oh my god
Old 10 Oct 2016, 23:42 (Ref:3679080)   #1067
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Indeed it is. Unfortunately, it still makes little sense as presented.

This is, incidentally, another big part of the reason I don't trust the claims. Not only does it make no sense, but the claims are all coming from a person who has a direct vested interest in selling the car. People lie, especially when it comes to things they want/need to sell. If the car is uncompetitive he'd have every reason to keep that under wraps until the problems were fixed.

And we shall see one way or another. It's not like long-term success is IMPOSSIBLE here, just that he's putting himself in a harder position by taking this option, assuming his claims are correct.

That's actually precisely my point - Ave's playing a dangerous game when it comes to the market for this stuff. If he's lying, it's going to bite him HARD if Riley can't fix it. If he's being truthful it's likely to bite him a couple years down the road when the Ligier gets improved for it's re-homologation.

And that's ignoring the ever-present possibility of it still turning out to be uncompetitive when they finally homologate and run the car.

There's always the possibility that Riley could pull something out with their upgrades a couple years later to win back the customers, but the delays to the program leave me less than confident about their ability to do so.

It is extremely rare for the homologation of a car to be delayed just to make a competitive car even moreso - the only other example I can think of in recent years has been the ongoing Lexus GT3 car - and it's had some very PUBLIC "testing" showing that the car could be competitive and that they're just working on improving it further. The Ave-Riley LMP3 has been kept behind closed doors, so we literally know nothing other than what the creators are claiming.

Are you suggesting you disbelieve they have some 6 cars, or you disbelieve they have sold ANY cars?

I'd personally take Mr Goodwin's estimation with higher regard than your personal opinion based on his previous record of leading a consistently well informed Motorsport news organisation....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10 Oct 2016, 23:58 (Ref:3679088)   #1068
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
Are you suggesting you disbelieve they have some 6 cars, or you disbelieve they have sold ANY cars?

I'd personally take Mr Goodwin's estimation with higher regard than your personal opinion based on his previous record of leading a consistently well informed Motorsport news organisation....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you doubting the 'I have confidentiality I have to protect but oh crap I've been wrong more than right' poster? Why I've never heard such craziness in all my life.

And I believe more than just Tony have said they have sold cars and orders were confirmed. If you're so worried about how good the car is then why would you want it NOW? It would be better to make the BEST and most refined product you could as the season is pretty much over in terms of teams deciding they're going to get a new car to end the 2020 season because Ligier has a new one. If the Ligier is consistently better those with a Ave-Riley are going to leave after the season anyway. But if he waits until the car is the best it can be and homolgates it before the 2017 season he has at least 2 months more running to test the car. So why would I give up free testing time to get it out for 4 years from now?? That's not cutting your nose off to spite your face, that's cutting off your head cause you're tired of getting a haircut. It might make non-customers who want to see the car and tell us how much better they'd make it happier, but the actual buyer would rather have a good well-sorted chassis.
Old 11 Oct 2016, 00:07 (Ref:3679091)   #1069
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
ALLEGEDLY, FF has told a friend of mine on another forum that he has never said that he's had NDA's or association with a team.
Old 11 Oct 2016, 00:14 (Ref:3679093)   #1070
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
@FormulaFox. We all understand your point, and I think you understand the opposite view as well. Please stop repeating this over and over. We have one of the most respected racing journalist telling you what the manufacturer has told him. If you don't believe it fine. Just drop it.
Old 11 Oct 2016, 03:20 (Ref:3679163)   #1071
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sooooooo......

Does anyone have a potential 2017 IMSA LMP3/Lites entry list that they can compile and post, to prevent me weeding through this thread and articles?

Old 11 Oct 2016, 03:23 (Ref:3679165)   #1072
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Thanks for the clean up joeb!

Are you going down to NOLA for TA this weekend? Just curious.
Old 11 Oct 2016, 03:40 (Ref:3679173)   #1073
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
10 to 12 Ginetta G57 are expected in the V de V in 2017.
It is a pity that ELMS Lmp3 is limited to the Nissan engine and do not accept the Chevy engine. This would give variety to the series that now do not have it.

http://www.endurance-info.com/fr/dix...ndues-en-2017/
Old 11 Oct 2016, 05:06 (Ref:3679198)   #1074
TzeiTzei
Veteran

Finland
TzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
It is a pity that ELMS Lmp3 is limited to the Nissan engine and do not accept the Chevy engine. This would give variety to the series that now do not have it.

What kind of laptimes does the Chevy engined Ginetta produce?

I know I've laughed at the Riley and I still can't get rid of that Lego car image in my head, but I agree that there is no point in homologating a car that isn't good enough. A bad product usually doesn't sell.
Old 11 Oct 2016, 07:08 (Ref:3679230)   #1075
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post

You'd need to restrict the Chevy quite a bit, and even then I think the G57 had significant upgrades beyond the LMP3 which wouldn't be homologated. I don't think it's as simple as that unfortunately.