Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 25 Dec 2013, 11:25 (Ref:3347763)   #3251
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
You can gyrosopic effects with a flywheel that can effect handling and roadholding.
A simple example is to spin a bicycle wheel between your two hands (off bicycle) and turn to one side with it spinning.
Thanks, understood. 'Wuz thinking that was what was meant but never heard the term "high speed rotary" before.
Hmmm, if the flywheel was horizontal, wouldn't it lower the weight /necessity of anti roll methods?

(also thanks for the reminder of racecar-engineering, 'haven't been there in a while)

Last edited by jimclark; 25 Dec 2013 at 11:36.

jimclark
Old 25 Dec 2013, 13:45 (Ref:3347793)   #3252
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
JoestForEver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep, thanks for the clarification and that's exactly what I mean by the rotary. And it makes sense so to make the carbon fibre flywheel as light as possible.
Old 25 Dec 2013, 19:37 (Ref:3347842)   #3253
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It really depends on the way the gyroscope is mounted in the Audi. If the spin axis is directed vertical to the ground, the the gyro has no effect on left-right turning. A high rpm gyro only resist changes of the direction of it's spin axis.

The only way the spin axis direction can change in the gyro i mentioned above is if pitch changes (relative change in ride heights front and rear). The gyro could be used as a sort of anti-dive under braking. and similarly anti-squat under acceleration if it had enough mass or enough rpm which is brilliant of them.

Of course in real life the the gyro won't be mounted vertical relative to the track(advantage of giving no effect on left-right turning) but will have it's spin axis tilted slightly forward or back in the vehicle because teams choose to run a different ride height in the front than they do the rear. That means when the vehicle left-right turns there is probably a small but negligible effect on turning left and right turning.
Old 25 Dec 2013, 20:04 (Ref:3347845)   #3254
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I found this picture of the mounting the the porsche 911 gt3 hybrid but i could't find it in the audi. I think that may have more to do with lowering the CG but engineers probably though about the spin axis orientation. Without knowing the mass, shape and RPM of the flywheels theres no way to know if you could see any anti-roll, antidive, antisquat effects. It may be negligible but it certainly isn't hurting the vehicle's handling. Worst case there is small benefit.
Old 25 Dec 2013, 21:12 (Ref:3347851)   #3255
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
I found this picture of the mounting the the porsche 911 gt3 hybrid but i could't find it in the audi.
http://www.racecar-engineering.com/c...-tron-quattro/ has a good picture:
Old 25 Dec 2013, 22:45 (Ref:3347867)   #3256
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Definitely Southern Bavaria, but closer to Ingolstadt than to Munich, I'd say.
So he isn't Swabian either? Damn, there's too many accents! I love that.
Old 26 Dec 2013, 08:20 (Ref:3347930)   #3257
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
As far as I know, both Porsche and Audi installed the flywheel system at the shotgun seat position and the motor near the front axle. Moreover, the flywheel compartment weighs around 70-80kg, about the same as a driver. (Cannot locate the source via my 520, sorry for that though)
Old 26 Dec 2013, 08:58 (Ref:3347948)   #3258
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
So he isn't Swabian either? Damn, there's too many accents! I love that.
Nope. The telltale sign for Swabians is usually that they pronounce many "s"-sounds as "sh", at least if they have a relatively strong accent. So to pick one of your examples, he'd probably pronounce "System" as "Syshdeem".
Old 26 Dec 2013, 10:24 (Ref:3347962)   #3259
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoestForEver View Post
As far as I know, both Porsche and Audi installed the flywheel system at the shotgun seat position and the motor near the front axle. Moreover, the flywheel compartment weighs around 70-80kg, about the same as a driver. (Cannot locate the source via my 520, sorry for that though)
The flywheel accumulator weighs a lot less: 25 kg for Audi R18 and 47 kg for Porsche 911.

source: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3223358
Old 26 Dec 2013, 13:55 (Ref:3348008)   #3260
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Here's a photo of the Porsche 911 GT3R Hybrid with the Williams Flywheel mounted in the passenger seat area. I believe there was a lid to the component and the lid was removed in this photo.

Old 26 Dec 2013, 15:13 (Ref:3348022)   #3261
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
The flywheel accumulator weighs a lot less: 25 kg for Audi R18 and 47 kg for Porsche 911.

source: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3223358

Thanks for correction. So it's much lighter than I have imagined/believed.
Old 27 Dec 2013, 15:40 (Ref:3348162)   #3262
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberMotor View Post
Here's a photo of the Porsche 911 GT3R Hybrid
Four things that I have always found interesting in this photo when looking at it.

1. There seems to be a lot of electronics, switches and adjustments available if that's them on the black panel in the center
2. The Flywheel looks like a miniature nuclear power plant with its shape and reinforcing
3. Interesting seeing the name of the driver Rocke(n)feller on the car over this advanced energy system. In the US, John D Rockefeller was an early oil magnate and billionaire
4. Bungee cords, like duct tape, are used in many places
Old 27 Dec 2013, 20:51 (Ref:3348201)   #3263
manthey
Racer

manthey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
also ferrari f1 2014 will have a single exhaust's tip , like porsche lmp1
in the picture also where are allocated the 2 ers systems

draw from Paolo Filisetti, f1 tech analyst
Old 27 Dec 2013, 22:08 (Ref:3348205)   #3264
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://sportscar365.com/wec/2014-sil...n-update-lmp1/

Dagys has apparently confirmed that the engine configuration is a V4.
Old 27 Dec 2013, 23:38 (Ref:3348214)   #3265
rubberduck
Rookie

Germany
Nordschleife - related
rubberduck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did he? I can see no source, neither a hint that there might be one...

A bit off P1: The 911 hybrid photo...Is Rockenfeller the Mike Rockenfeller? I never was aware of that. Weren't it the Porsche works - drivers riding that special car? At least all the times I have watched it run there were no
And rocky has been with Audi already by that time, hasn't he? (Sadness: And has to drive within the big boringness of DTM. But I better stop here, before it comes to my mind, that max Martin is a happy member of the DTM family, too, now)
Old 28 Dec 2013, 00:55 (Ref:3348225)   #3266
Razgriz8484
Rookie

Razgriz8484 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberduck View Post

A bit off P1: The 911 hybrid photo...Is Rockenfeller the Mike Rockenfeller? I never was aware of that. Weren't it the Porsche works - drivers riding that special car? At least all the times I have watched it run there were no
And rocky has been with Audi already by that time, hasn't he? (Sadness: And has to drive within the big boringness of DTM. But I better stop here, before it comes to my mind, that max Martin is a happy member of the DTM family, too, now)
IIRC the Le Mans winners that year drove that Porsche.
Old 28 Dec 2013, 01:20 (Ref:3348227)   #3267
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberduck View Post

Here is how the car was presented at inspection and entry into the 2010 Petit Le Mans...

Old 28 Dec 2013, 14:53 (Ref:3348324)   #3268
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FstrthnU View Post

I personally believe it is V4, but I don't think it has been confirmed as of yet by Porsche. In his article he says "which is understood to utilize a V4 turbo". I read that as "generally assumed by most to be a V4 turbo".

Richard
Old 28 Dec 2013, 16:56 (Ref:3348343)   #3269
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FstrthnU View Post

Guys, many weeks ago there were pictures of it released on Porsches dyno.....its a V4......its old news now, but the capacity is still unknown, I'm guessing around 2 litres........I also recently heard, I forget where, that it will use an electrically assisted turbo-generator like audi will, so turbo lag will be eradicated.
Old 28 Dec 2013, 18:41 (Ref:3348372)   #3270
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
Guys, many weeks ago there were pictures of it released on Porsches dyno.....its a V4......its old news now, but the capacity is still unknown, I'm guessing around 2 litres........I also recently heard, I forget where, that it will use an electrically assisted turbo-generator like audi will, so turbo lag will be eradicated.
Actually, in the press release for the 919 they said the latter details (2.0L, turbo generator) but not the V4 configuration.
Old 29 Dec 2013, 02:40 (Ref:3348473)   #3271
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
Off topic again. But probably Rocky believes he hasn't recovered from the accident of 2011 yet, so he'd prefer to go with much safer and 'relaxing' DTM. Maybe he changes his mind in the future, but who knows?
Old 29 Dec 2013, 03:37 (Ref:3348481)   #3272
jimclark
Veteran

United States
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoestForEver View Post
But probably Rocky believes he hasn't recovered from the accident of 2011 yet, so he'd prefer to go with much safer and 'relaxing' DTM.
Let's stay on topic, but when did you talk to him?

jimclark
Old 29 Dec 2013, 04:07 (Ref:3348485)   #3273
truebeliever
Racer

truebeliever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtruebeliever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I personally believe it is V4, but I don't think it has been confirmed as of yet by Porsche. In his article he says "which is understood to utilize a V4 turbo". I read that as "generally assumed by most to be a V4 turbo".

Richard
Actually you are all WRONG!!!!

It's a 2 cylinder Wartburg Knight engine which the people at Weissach have had Al Solaroli locked up in a dungeon since he screwed them over back in the CET Spyder P2 days, breathing his ambiotic/narcotic/whatever technology on.

From what my spies tell me, the engine uses no water cooling, will run the entire Le Mans race on one tank of gas and the engine never needs reibuilding........... and of course Al's technology is fully en\dorsed by the Bulgarian Government, which marks it as *must have techology*.
Old 29 Dec 2013, 11:48 (Ref:3348537)   #3274
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by truebeliever View Post
Actually you are all WRONG!!!!

It's a 2 cylinder Wartburg Knight engine which the people at Weissach have had Al Solaroli locked up in a dungeon since he screwed them over back in the CET Spyder P2 days, breathing his ambiotic/narcotic/whatever technology on.

From what my spies tell me, the engine uses no water cooling, will run the entire Le Mans race on one tank of gas and the engine never needs reibuilding........... and of course Al's technology is fully en\dorsed by the Bulgarian Government, which marks it as *must have techology*.
Uauuu!!!!!! Do you want to write a script to make a movie
Old 29 Dec 2013, 12:44 (Ref:3348555)   #3275
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavobamba View Post
Uauuu!!!!!! Do you want to write a script to make a movie
Methinks the implication is that that is what we have right here (the thread).....

jimclark