Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 22 Feb 2017, 05:35 (Ref:3713895)   #126
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
The seeds of the Homebush event are well sown GTR - we are now living with the consequences of it.
Are we? Should I not be sleeping at night? Should I be worried that that the oversight processes & procedures in government are so poor that all of the money I pay in taxes is like a big petty cash tin without the need for receipts?

Or do I consider that there is an elected government in power, who is charged with worrying about such things, enforced by ICAC, the courts, police and anyone else who may prove useful?

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 22 Feb 2017, 08:25 (Ref:3713916)   #127
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Homebush tanked, any sensible government and event organisers would put measures in place to ensure this doesn't happen again ay Newcastle.

They are trying to sell the exact same product at Newcastle that couldn't be sold at Homebush, why are people expecting a different result if measures aren't put in place?
Old 22 Feb 2017, 09:43 (Ref:3713937)   #128
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
The Homebush "tanking" occurred in the early years of the event and it never got over that. Now, that "tanking" all happened with the Homebush Motor Racing Authority in place, as did any alleged issues that ICAC may look at.

Therefore, it seems to me that enacting such an authority for Newcastle would be a waste of time and money, particularly that Destination NSW (which did not exist when Homebush was fired up) now has the responsibility for the items such an authority would be responsible for.

Enacting such an authority for Newcastle would as a result of that, simply increase the overall bottom line cost of the event for no improved outcome - in my opinion.
Old 22 Feb 2017, 10:44 (Ref:3713954)   #129
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
The Homebush "tanking" occurred in the early years of the event and it never got over that. Now, that "tanking" all happened with the Homebush Motor Racing Authority in place, as did any alleged issues that ICAC may look at.
Was the HMRA in place when Ian McDonald was playing these games?

http://www.smh.com.au//breaking-news...217-1ozry.html

Quote:
"Then minister Ian Macdonald's State Development Department pushed its way in and cut a deal with a company that has close associations with his friends," Mr Kaye said in a statement on Saturday.

"Professional advice was ignored, timetables rushed and cabinet resolutions leaked."

The Auditor-General found the advice given to the government about the proposal to move the races from Eastern Creek to Homebush was inadequate and that the economic benefits were well below what was expected.
Old 22 Feb 2017, 11:46 (Ref:3713966)   #130
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Therefore, it seems to me that enacting such an authority for Newcastle would be a waste of time and money, particularly that Destination NSW (which did not exist when Homebush was fired up) now has the responsibility for the items such an authority would be responsible for.

Enacting such an authority for Newcastle would as a result of that, simply increase the overall bottom line cost of the event for no improved outcome - in my opinion.
Was the Homebush Motor Racing Authority responsible for where the Grandstands went in? Because that right there was what did most of the damage for the punters right from the start, as it left GA ticket holders with nowhere decent to spectate.

"Destination NSW" as a name might not have existed, but a "Events NSW" (or something like that) certainly did, as didn't they back a Golf tournament that clashed with the first Sydney Telstra 500

Why are people still defending a dead event that even James Warburton said was a flop?
Old 22 Feb 2017, 12:09 (Ref:3713977)   #131
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Was the Homebush Motor Racing Authority responsible for where the Grandstands went in? Because that right there was what did most of the damage for the punters right from the start, as it left GA ticket holders with nowhere decent to spectate.

"Destination NSW" as a name might not have existed, but a "Events NSW" (or something like that) certainly did, as didn't they back a Golf tournament that clashed with the first Sydney Telstra 500

Why are people still defending a dead event that even James Warburton said was a flop?
The authority may well have been responsible for where the grandstands did or didn't go but I really don't know as I wasn't in those meetings. If you were in those meetings you would know but if not then neither of us know.

However, the point being made in this thread about Newy was that a seperate authority is needed to prevent excesses and exert oversight / control - point I'm making is that is Destination NSW role so a seperate authority would be a double up & didn't prevent mistakes / problems with Homebush.

Destination NSW is a very different and much larger organisation than Events NSW was - it combines the previous Events NSW, Tourism NSW and I think one other similar body with higher staffing levels and more responsibility for oversight and conduct of events and tourism marketing.

No idea how you've dreamed up the idea of me suggesting that Homebush was not a flop - point I'm making is that a seperate authority didn't prevent Homebush being a flop, but a couple of posters here seem to think that such an authority would prevent Newy being a flop - you yourself refer to "measures being put in place" but the "measures" you're asking for - a seperate authority - were in fact in place for Homebush and didn't prevent that event from being a flop. So why would the same measures generate a different outcome in this case?
Old 22 Feb 2017, 12:23 (Ref:3713981)   #132
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
Was the HMRA in place when Ian McDonald was playing these games?

http://www.smh.com.au//breaking-news...217-1ozry.html
Clearly not as those games were during the process of setting up / approving the event.

But then, the Newcastle event has already been set up / approved and therefore adding an extra authority after approval will have no more benefit for games such as the McDonald ones than the authority did at Homebush (if they exist for Newy - doubtful)
Old 22 Feb 2017, 19:13 (Ref:3714078)   #133
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
God help us if Newcastle doesn't work - I think it would result in a big rethink on behalf of the government in regards to street circuit funding. In the current political climate it seems like any money wastage/leaning/handouts etc are under the microscope and unfortunately Supercar fans represent a very, very small portion of voters.

I don't think an added layer of bureaucracy will help but I also don't believe the government is competent either.
Old 23 Feb 2017, 00:36 (Ref:3714128)   #134
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Legislation Passes, Destination NSW Controls Newcastle Street Race

Old 23 Feb 2017, 01:09 (Ref:3714133)   #135
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Gee, that article reads like everything will run like clockwork.
Old 23 Feb 2017, 08:28 (Ref:3714189)   #136
one five five
Veteran

Quote:
No idea how you've dreamed up the idea of me suggesting that Homebush was not a flop - point I'm making is that a seperate authority didn't prevent Homebush being a flop, but a couple of posters here seem to think that such an authority would prevent Newy being a flop - you yourself refer to "measures being put in place" but the "measures" you're asking for - a seperate authority - were in fact in place for Homebush and didn't prevent that event from being a flop. So why would the same measures generate a different outcome in this case?
The point I was more making was that the same posters keep blaming everyone except Supercars themselves for the reasons Homebush didn't work.

The same circus has moved a few hours up the road, and are going to deliver the exact same product, but people seem to think behind the scenes stuff is what stopped people attending the event, not the main attraction itself (that didn't attract people)
Old 23 Feb 2017, 11:09 (Ref:3714234)   #137
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
The point I was more making was that the same posters keep blaming everyone except Supercars themselves for the reasons Homebush didn't work.

The same circus has moved a few hours up the road, and are going to deliver the exact same product, but people seem to think behind the scenes stuff is what stopped people attending the event, not the main attraction itself (that didn't attract people)
Don't know if you're referring to me but I've said in a number of posts that Homebush was not delivered well. However I can't confirm where the blame really lies for that and nor can you unless you were in the room when decisions were made.

I suspect that if you really want to play the blame game, then none of the parties involved would come out squeaky clean. I suspect that Supercars, the Homebush Motor Racing Authority (sic) and SOPA all took actions or chose not to take actions that impacted on the success of the event.

I believe that Newy is probably a better local market for the event & MAY be more attractive for visitors. I also believe that lessons would have been learnt from Homebush and hopefully those learnings will be put to good use to improve the event.

None of us will know until the event is running and we see how it goes. Of course, if it DOES go well, then that would tend to indicate that the blame game re Homebush should be directed at others rather than Supercars, conversely if it doesn't work, then you may well be right in your assertion that the problem is how Supercars run the event.
Old 11 Mar 2017, 08:42 (Ref:3717935)   #138
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....

Not everybody hates Supercar it seems..
Old 11 Mar 2017, 08:52 (Ref:3717938)   #139
PS2244
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW
PS2244 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post

A lot more people would've turned up as well just that the knights were playing today that is what kept me away along with a lot of people I know away which was an unforuntate time clash
Old 11 Mar 2017, 23:55 (Ref:3718083)   #140
one five five
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post

Why do I get the feeling if 70-80 people turned up to a protest rally for the Newcastle event people would be saying "is that all"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LD2244
A lot more people would've turned up as well just that the knights were playing today that is what kept me away along with a lot of people I know away which was an unforuntate time clash
If the clashing Knights game was going to affect the numbers significantly, why then schedule the event at the same time?

The NRL draw has been out for a long time
Old 12 Mar 2017, 00:54 (Ref:3718091)   #141
PS2244
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW
Quote:
Why do I get the feeling if 70-80 people turned up to a protest rally for the Newcastle event people would be saying "is that all"

If the clashing Knights game was going to affect the numbers significantly, why then schedule the event at the same time?

The NRL draw has been out for a long time
Agreed wasn't the thought out well by the organiser shoudlve been done today
Old 12 Mar 2017, 01:46 (Ref:3718098)   #142
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
With the council being fully aware of the unrest in the community regarding the event, this particular one may have been a litmus test of sorts.

I suspect the next one will not clash with a Knights home game
Old 12 Mar 2017, 02:11 (Ref:3718103)   #143
PS2244
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
With the council being fully aware of the unrest in the community regarding the event, this particular one may have been a litmus test of sorts.

I suspect the next one will not clash with a Knights home game
It isn't they've confirmed the date and their bringing in a large group of local car clubs it'll be a much larger event it still at 70-80 people out the protestors to shame they barely got 20 people to their event
Old 12 Mar 2017, 06:27 (Ref:3718124)   #144
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
I think that could justifiably be said for both for and against support / protest rallies.
Old 12 Mar 2017, 06:30 (Ref:3718126)   #145
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by LD2244 View Post
still at 70-80 people out the protestors to shame they barely got 20 people to their event
Don't be to harsh on the protest numbers, there was a clash with the Jets game which would have prevented numbers attending the protest. NBN also turned up but you know it was early when people were still arriving.
Old 12 Mar 2017, 06:33 (Ref:3718129)   #146
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
I think that could justifiably be said for both for and against support / protest rallies.
D.R.T and his other Supercar-hating mates will be at the next one. All is not lost
Old 12 Mar 2017, 08:43 (Ref:3718139)   #147
PS2244
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW
Quote:
Don't be to harsh on the protest numbers, there was a clash with the Jets game which would have prevented numbers attending the protest. NBN also turned up but you know it was early when people were still arriving.
I will be harsh because that was the number of people there legitmally most weren't there to support the cause (even may have been higher than that but it's still not enough). Also same could be said for Pro-Supercars rally which was hampered in numbers by the Knights game. The jets game would've had minimal influence they only have an average attendance of 8,583 however knights have an average of over 14,000 so if your using that as an excuse im sorry to say mate but that is not really a valid excuse for low numbers. As for the pro events it was cancelled and only put back on at the final moment which also hampered numbers which was due to permit issues. Also I think the likes to likes comparison on Facebook between pro and anti pages (the main anti page also clearly bots likes) also highlights what the majority of us Novocastrians want (over 7000 vs 400 questionable likes). Also in referance to the NBN that coverage wasn't where I was getting numbers from I walked by when it happened in the middle of the event and most of the people that were their were pro Supercars people protesting. Even if numbers at the event were slightly higher it still leaves them at a very meagre minority.

Last edited by PS2244; 12 Mar 2017 at 09:03.
Old 12 Mar 2017, 08:58 (Ref:3718140)   #148
PS2244
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW
Quote:
It isn't they've confirmed the date and their bringing in a large group of local car clubs it'll be a much larger event it still at 70-80 people out the protestors to shame they barely got 20 people to their event
*outnumbered
Old 12 Mar 2017, 09:15 (Ref:3718143)   #149
Beages
Rookie

Beages should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
*outnumbered
Most people like myself probably didn't bother because they know the race is happening regardless of 100 odd whinging Newcastle East residents.
Old 12 Mar 2017, 09:29 (Ref:3718145)   #150
PS2244
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beages View Post
Most people like myself probably didn't bother because they know the race is happening regardless of 100 odd whinging Newcastle East residents.
Hit the nail on the head mate I'm in the same boat as you live there and i am able to see what it offers to the greater city of Newcastle in terms of tourism, these people are self centred to the most extremist form it's 3 days a year they need to learn to deal with it like everyone else is. Townsville, Bathurst, Adelaide, Gold Coast and Melbourne are all on the streets of their respective cities and they don't get in uproar about it so I have no idea why 50 retirees have decided to in Newcastle. Not to mention that all the facts they utilise are fictious drivel.