Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 17 Apr 2004, 17:08 (Ref:942712)   #1
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Winners And Losers At Motegi!

So the third race for 2004, is in the record book! A pretty good race, but Wheldon was completely dominant.

So who or what are the winners and losers at Motegi?

Winners - Helio Castroneves, who put in a great performance coming from 15th to wind up 3rd! He saved Penske from a total disaster this weekend. Great race from a great driver. And Dan Wheldon, for being the first British winner in the IRL. He's a real likable guy, who's becoming a great driver as well. He's going to have a great future here.

Losers - In a word, Chevy! Man, were they off the pace. Scheckter, Buhl, Carpenter, and Barron, were non-factors all race. Only Taylor was having a decent run, until he stuck it into the wall again. The future for them could be grim also, as I'm hearing that their 3.0L is way down on speed right now.

So who are your winners and losers?

Danica Patrick
Old 17 Apr 2004, 19:06 (Ref:942766)   #2
MLM
Veteran

MLM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Winners- Honda and AGR. Like I said in the "Spoliers" thread,IMO, this is probably the team to beat next month. Man, Mikey's doing a pretty darn good job, so far, as a team owner.He seems to know the right people to hire and how to get them working as one,big cohesive unit.
Great job by Helio and his team....they pulled off great moves on track and in the pits, especially when it counted!

Losers-I agree you, GP, Chevy has a LOT of work cut out for them. I'd also add Hornish to this list, too. That incident wasn't his fault but he's had rotten luck 2 races in a row.Ditto my boy, Tomas....I hope his "rotten luck streak" ends NOW, before Indy!
Other losers: Matsura and Takagi for their boneheaded moves. What is it with Japanese drivers?
Old 17 Apr 2004, 19:09 (Ref:942774)   #3
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kamikazee
Old 18 Apr 2004, 09:03 (Ref:943131)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Honda have defiantely overtook Toyota this year, and look like they'll be hard to beat. Maybe the resources from Toytoa are going mroe towards F1 and NASCAR.

Great individual drive from Dan, again - who expected him to eb beating Tony?
Old 18 Apr 2004, 09:26 (Ref:943149)   #5
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I wouldnt be getting so excited about AGR just yet... Tony Kanaan started out brilliantly last year, and came back to the field pace wise...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 18 Apr 2004, 16:07 (Ref:943370)   #6
MLM
Veteran

Yeah, but this team has 1 year of IRL experience behind them AND last year was also their 1st year as a team.

I know, anything is possible in racing and I'll admit it if I'm wrong (as much as I HATE to "eat humble pie", hehe ).
(and, of course, NEVER discount Penske...especially,Helio! And, I hope Tomas can get back on track @ Indy...but Chevy has a LOT of work cut out for them)
However, AGR is gellin'....and gellin' nicely as a team.

Last edited by MLM; 18 Apr 2004 at 16:09.
Old 19 Apr 2004, 02:31 (Ref:943736)   #7
Cameron H
Rookie

Cameron H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Winners - Manning, Manning, and Manning

Losers - Rahal, Fernandez, and Hornish (all three were/are in the wrong place at the wrong time)

Cam
Old 19 Apr 2004, 07:37 (Ref:943819)   #8
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Winners: Honda and AGR: a total domination
Helio: for the chances he had to win, a very good race, he got the maximum he could hope for, and even something more

Losers: poor Hornish, and Chevy engines: after winter test they did'nt seem that bad, what's up docs?

BTW: if we could add a new feature: "THUMBS UP - THUMBS DOWN" , my thumbs down would surely go to Matsuura: still unsated sending Dario to wall at Homestead, he repeated the same move on Sam; someone should start doing something.
Old 19 Apr 2004, 17:26 (Ref:944416)   #9
jenna
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
jenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mackmot
Kamikazee

winners: little cutey pie Wheldon and Kanaan not only dominating the race but the points board too

losers: pretty much everyone else. when you get to a point with only 9 cars on the lead lap that's pretty bad (although i remember the race last year where Hornish and Dixon i think lapped everyone else!) even Dixon was way off, which just isn't normal. and even though he made it up the front via pit strategy Castroneves wasn't even in it for most of the day.
biggest loser of the year: ME! if i was in a competition for picking the best drivers NOT to finish in the top 5 i'd be kicking ass!
Old 19 Apr 2004, 20:12 (Ref:944643)   #10
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by jenna

winners: little cutey pie Wheldon and Kanaan not only dominating the race but the points board too

biggest loser of the year: ME! if i was in a competition for picking the best drivers NOT to finish in the top 5 i'd be kicking ass!
Well, maybe if you stopped picking just the "cutest" drivers, you might do alittle better!

Climb, I agree with your assesment of Matsurra. Once maybe, but twice in 3 races, is alittle to much. I wonder if anyone has had a word with him?

Danica Patrick
Old 19 Apr 2004, 20:39 (Ref:944671)   #11
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Biggest Winner:

Honda.....they (and their teams) were under the microscope for no wins on their home circuit (until now)...and to AGR for a solid 1-2 finish.....

Biggest Losers:

Chevy (only Taylor was remotely in the hunt) and Hornish (he's got a hole to dig out of now)....

But Keep This in Mind:

Honda and Toyota were basically on even footing going into Indy from Motegi last year...fairly similar speeds, paces, etc....

Toyota was developing a "qualifying Motor" for Indy that proved to be reliable enough to become a "Race Engine"...and they seemed to dominate most of the rest of the year....

And after Cosworth came into the picture to save Chevy's bacon, Honda was clearly the "third of three" engines at the end of the season...

With the new 3.0 L engine coming into reality next, you can throw any trends we've seen thus far out the window....

It'll be a whole new ballgame and a whole new season...with lots of races, lots or refinement, and lots of changes coming about over the course of the remaining schedule...

Anything can happen....and probably will....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 21 Apr 2004, 08:32 (Ref:946399)   #12
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
.. or maybe they will repeat "after changes upon changes we are more or less the same"
Old 21 Apr 2004, 11:27 (Ref:946548)   #13
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
everyone from p2 on back lost...
Honda and wheldon win
hheh heh heh
Old 21 Apr 2004, 14:40 (Ref:946752)   #14
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Somebody (can't remember who) recently said,

"Finishing second really means that I was nothing more than 'first loser'...."

Good to see you back and active on the forums, GTTouring!!!!

in the "From:" box, your personal notes says "On the Move!"....

From previous posts by you, as well as PM correspondence between us over the past year, I'm wondering....

1. If your move is "racing industry-related," and

2. If "Yes," (and I hope it IS "Yes') to #1, please let me know who you'll be with and in what form of racing....

Thanks!

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 21 Apr 2004, 20:05 (Ref:947062)   #15
jenna
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer
Well, maybe if you stopped picking just the "cutest" drivers, you might do alittle better!
what am i supposed to pick them by? talent? that seems like a pretty dumb system to me! '
I put Dixon Hornish and Kanaan in almost every race and that has nothing to do with looks! but Hornish especially just hasn't been getting there this season..
Old 21 Apr 2004, 22:39 (Ref:947237)   #16
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Hornish hasn't been getting there this season? Who won the race at Homestead....? One out of three ain't bad..
Old 21 Apr 2004, 22:57 (Ref:947267)   #17
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Quote:
Originally posted by Teretonga
Hornish hasn't been getting there this season? Who won the race at Homestead....? One out of three ain't bad..
True enough, but I kind of see where jenna is coming from.

Hornish always had a knack for staying out of trouble, but so far, trouble has a bead on him. Hope that changes!

Danica Patrick
Old 22 Apr 2004, 01:33 (Ref:947396)   #18
MLM
Veteran

I'm not a "Sam Fan" but even I was a little surprised by his bad luck 2 races in a row.
Sam will probably bounce back, although Indy hasn't always been kind to him.....but, we shall see.
Old 22 Apr 2004, 08:06 (Ref:947572)   #19
jenna
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
yeah he won at homestead but if you compare what he's done this season with what he was doing at the end of last year he's way off his own pace..