Alex Wurz 1 1.92%
Someone Else (Please state) 0 0%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11 Jan 2004, 14:18 (Ref:834325)   #1
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Best Test/Development Driver Of the Last Decade

Which drivers do you think ahve the bigegst positive effect on the quality of the cars they drive?
Old 11 Jan 2004, 14:25 (Ref:834335)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well it's between Damon Hill and Schuey isn't it?

I'll go for Damon as he took an Arrows to a near victory and helped Jordan to their first win....and surely he must have contributed a lot to the 199 Jordan which finished third!

Although Schuey did pretty much the same thing at Ferrari, I'm going for Damon, maybe because I'm watching Suzuka 1996 at this very moment!

Last edited by Knowlesy; 11 Jan 2004 at 14:26.
Old 11 Jan 2004, 14:26 (Ref:834337)   #3
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Schumacher
Webber
Hill
wurz
Old 11 Jan 2004, 14:27 (Ref:834339)   #4
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Not sure why Montoya is on the list......he gets what he's given and drives and that's it! No nonsense!
Old 11 Jan 2004, 14:29 (Ref:834340)   #5
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
i want to vote Damon but alas i think it's Schumi
from that dog of a car in 96 to the dominant and spectactular 02 Ferrari!!!
Old 11 Jan 2004, 14:30 (Ref:834341)   #6
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Yeah but inside that transformation you had the arrival of a totally new technical team and car concept outlook.

Damon did his work within 2 years with pretty much the same technical back-up
Old 11 Jan 2004, 14:31 (Ref:834342)   #7
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by knowlesy
Not sure why Montoya is on the list......he gets what he's given and drives and that's it! No nonsense!
for sure knowlesy.. infact i think RS has contributed much to the williams revival!! IMHO..
Old 11 Jan 2004, 14:31 (Ref:834345)   #8
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now come on Mark, on what, apart from your unwavering fanaticism, do you base Webber being the second best development driver?? Damon was the tester behind the suberb, all conquering 91/92/93 Williams'. He turned a so so 1997 Jordan into winning car in less than a year and a really rather good car by 1999, and almost took an Arrows to the stop step of the podium in 1997 when it had been scrapping with the minardi's during previos season.
Old 11 Jan 2004, 14:33 (Ref:834346)   #9
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally posted by Damon
Damon was the tester behind the suberb, all conquering 91/92/93 Williams'.
Forgot to mention that Damon! Adding yet more to Damons reputation!
Old 11 Jan 2004, 14:35 (Ref:834349)   #10
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
btw, do I need to say where my vote went?
Old 11 Jan 2004, 14:35 (Ref:834350)   #11
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

If you could, that would be a massive help.
Old 11 Jan 2004, 14:38 (Ref:834356)   #12
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Mark is a damn fine developer as was Hill . Mark did a great job with Renault and with Jag in a very sort time .
regardless of my unwavering fanaticism I could only vote for 1 and Micheal got that vote so the rest is just my opinon .

I'm sure you would have had jpm in your short list
Old 11 Jan 2004, 14:41 (Ref:834358)   #13
Wethat
Rookie

Wethat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just wanted to say that almost all British drivers such as Damon Hill and David Coulthard are vastly overrated.
Old 11 Jan 2004, 14:43 (Ref:834360)   #14
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

What an understated introduction from wethat....

What makes you say that by the way?
Old 11 Jan 2004, 14:58 (Ref:834375)   #15
demarco
Rookie

demarco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am rally happy to see that people still, in 2004, remembers what Damon did at Williams back in 1992!

In fact, I remember seeing a vote a few years ago among F1 people, designers, engineers, and so on, and they all voted for Damon.

But, I must question the list of drivers a little, because I think there are too many race drivers and too few test drivers on the list. Sure, Schuey, Monty, and the others do their fair part of testing, but they are not really development drivers, are they? They drive a car fitted with the new parts and give them a shakedown to see if they, the top of the top drivers, can find a small fraction of extra time in the parts.

But the drivers like Wurz, Massa, Badoer (a very underrated test driver, judging from the results of the vote), Gene, and to some extent also DC and Barrichello, they do the full testing of the parts, and the tires. Schuey is being hailed as a good development driver, but has he turned a single wheel in a Ferrari F1 car over the last four, five winters? No, thats all down to Barri, Massa and Badoer... So I rate them all higher than Schuey, in terms of DEVELOPMENT drivers, I must point out! Amongst racing drivers, Schuey clearly is the better one. But, I must also point out that in my world, Damon is the best racing driver, because he made into F1 without the help of his father, without a lot of money, and with clearly less talent than, for instance, mr Schumacher, and he still won the Championship. That´s a brilliant achievement indeed!

Last edited by demarco; 11 Jan 2004 at 14:59.
Old 11 Jan 2004, 15:00 (Ref:834376)   #16
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Webber
Not even close, a development driver he ain't.
Old 11 Jan 2004, 15:07 (Ref:834382)   #17
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

It's one of JPM's weaknesses actually.....Patrick Head says as much. But he still does just about enough.

One driver I would add to the list would be our Nige.....
Old 11 Jan 2004, 15:40 (Ref:834404)   #18
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Damon!
Old 11 Jan 2004, 15:41 (Ref:834405)   #19
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I didn't include Mansell because his career was largely over by the start of the poll period, although he does seem to have contributed a lot over the years - it's a shame Ferrari took Prost's advice over his in 1990, that may have caused their decline at that time.

I'm very surprised that so many people have voted for Michael. As demarco points out, he's had little to do with developing the recent Ferraris, and his role in havign advanced the team over the last few years may be overstated compared to Byrne, Brawn and Martinelli. Badoer seems to be the one who does the doneky work, Barrichello to an extent maybe.

You guys might be right about Montoya. Coming from a series where car development isn't a factor might be areason, but I probably should've included Gené instead.
Old 11 Jan 2004, 15:45 (Ref:834406)   #20
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I'm going for Damon, in part, due to what he acheived with Williams in 92/93, however, i do concede that Ralf Fan has a point.........

Quote:
Originally posted by ralf fan
i want to vote Damon but alas i think it's Schumi
from that dog of a car in 96 to the dominant and spectactular 02 Ferrari!!!
But the reason i went for Damon is not only due to the Williams bit, but his work with Arrows and Jordan. The main difference between himself and Michael (and Michael is a brilliant development driver) is the difference in personel they had to work with at the time of Michaels start with Ferrari and Damons time with Arrows and Jordan.
Old 11 Jan 2004, 15:49 (Ref:834409)   #21
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Webber

Quote:
Originally posted by Damon
Not even close, a development driver he ain't.
A development driver is not one of JPM's strong points, although i do believe he's getting better. Proberbly Sir Franks only fear before JPM joined Williams was that in his opinion due to his ability, he (JPM) would try and drive around the problem as opposed to solving it.
Old 11 Jan 2004, 18:18 (Ref:834498)   #22
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think we have enough information to make a half decent judgement on this. Unless you work on the team you're simply receving tid bits of third party information.
Old 11 Jan 2004, 19:32 (Ref:834562)   #23
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would have to agree with that, when it comes down to it none of us really have a clue.
Having said that I voted for Michael, mainly because of the extended recent success of Ferrari, and he is their No.1 driver. And from everything that is said about him he WORKS like a demon. Whether he turns a wheel in winter testing or not is irrelevant; development work does not neccessarily entail quantity of feedback but also QUALITY of feedback. Considering Michael's obvious abilities I can only imagine his input is invaluable.
But as I said earlier, I really know nothing.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 11 Jan 2004, 23:30 (Ref:834798)   #24
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by knowlesy
Not sure why Montoya is on the list
That one confused me too.

Damon and Michael are the only worthy names on the list.
Old 11 Jan 2004, 23:40 (Ref:834801)   #25
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You don't have to vote for him! IMHO this is what Williams lacks at the moment (from either driver).

Anyway this poll:

Damon is the perfect example IMHO.

However Micheal is such a complete driver that his testing doesn't get mentioned because of all the other aspects to him. However 1999 is a good example. Ferrari seemed to lose their way with set-up when Michael was out of action. There is more to testing than just set-up work, but if you want ot know what is happening with a car Michael is your man.

I voted Damon though. Michael didn't always achieve it (although his other strengths get him out of that!)

Last edited by Adam43; 11 Jan 2004 at 23:42.