Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Apr 2006, 18:14 (Ref:1571588)   #1
perminder
Racer

United Kingdom
in my house
perminder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Crazy BAFTA nomination

On Teletext a few days ago I read that the US Grand Prix 2005 is one of the nominations for a BAFTA award in the sports category.
Surpised me. Wasn't exactly a race full of thrills and spills.

http://www.bafta.org/site/page129.html

SPORT

THE ASHES: ENGLAND v AUSTRALIA - The Production Team (Sunset & Vine/Channel 4)

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINAL LIVE: AC MILAN v LIVERPOOL - Rick Waumsley, Paul McNamara, David Moss (Granada Sport/ITV1)

FORMULA ONE - US GRAND PRIX - Neil Duncanson, Gerard Lane (North One Television/Granada Sport/ITV1)

THE OPEN GOLF CHAMPIONSHIP -
FINAL ROUND OF JACK NICKLAUS - The Production Team (BBC Sport/BBC2)
Old 5 Apr 2006, 18:29 (Ref:1571593)   #2
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Perhaps it is to do with the decision to continue with the coverage and the attempts made to get to the bottom of what was going on so the viewers might understand (more than the crowd did anyway).
You could argue they made the best of a bad situation...
Old 5 Apr 2006, 18:31 (Ref:1571596)   #3
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Pirenzo you have a point....though even still, the coverage wasn't great....and you'd expect them to try to get to the bottom of it anyway!
Old 5 Apr 2006, 18:37 (Ref:1571599)   #4
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are you sure it wasn't the British Comedy Awards?

Rob.
Old 5 Apr 2006, 19:00 (Ref:1571625)   #5
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
May have somethign to do with the poor broadcast team getting strung out to dry (im sure the advertisors weren't happy) by a bunch of multinational corporations acting like children
Old 5 Apr 2006, 19:31 (Ref:1571649)   #6
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by racing59
Are you sure it wasn't the British Comedy Awards?

Rob.
But it wasn't funny.
Old 5 Apr 2006, 20:21 (Ref:1571700)   #7
marzF1rocks
Racer

England
Derbyshire
marzF1rocks has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
well whatever next... It seems bizzare, maybe there was nothing better they could think of
Old 5 Apr 2006, 21:04 (Ref:1571740)   #8
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What's really strange is that the actual race coverage has nothing to so with ITVs production.

The award can only be for the pieces done specifically by ITV namely the intros and the interviews, as for getting to the bottom of what was going on, then surely it is nominated in the wrong category. It should be for investigative journalism
Old 5 Apr 2006, 21:31 (Ref:1571762)   #9
youngoldy
Racer

United Kingdom
Somewhereorotherville
youngoldy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Couldn't they have nominated Suzuka 05?

But I have say, and you all have to agree, that contraversial moment brought, should I say, 'intrest' to the sport for the wrong reason. And if you look through history, its the same situation.

Like when Senna died, everything focused on the sport, and again, sadly for the wrong reason.

People who don't follow motorsport don't really care about what happened in each race, who passed who and who won what, its the BIG things which are going to make a big difference to the sport which brings intrest.
Old 6 Apr 2006, 12:28 (Ref:1572220)   #10
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The award is nothing to do with the quality of the race, or of the resulting programme. It's to do with the quality of the coverage, which was very good under the circumstances - a lot of worthwhile interviews and opinions were provided. Anyone who watched the coverage will have had a reasonable understanding of why the farce unfolded the way it did - I think avs' summary isn't far from the truth.
Old 6 Apr 2006, 12:34 (Ref:1572224)   #11
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I expect Sunset & Vine's Ashes coverage will win though...
Old 6 Apr 2006, 13:09 (Ref:1572261)   #12
Neil Adams
Veteran

United Kingdom
Essex
Neil Adams should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
could this have been announced on april 1st perhaps? that was a few days ago
Old 7 Apr 2006, 12:12 (Ref:1573042)   #13
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well done to those of you who've bothered to understand the award. A single shaky camera from the sideline of a 20-19 soccer match would not win - some of you seem to think it would.
Old 7 Apr 2006, 12:47 (Ref:1573082)   #14
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
As foolish as it may sound to some, the ITV's coverage of the ill-fated Brickyard race was deserving of praise.

I was impressed at the time with the way they managed to create an entertaining and informative broadcast out of a very difficult situation.

Martin Brundle and the much-maligned James Allen really met the challenge head on and never once did their commentary lapse, despite all those laps of sheer tedium on the track.

A real triumph & a worthy nominee I say.