Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 15 May 2000, 23:08 (Ref:1052)   #1
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Rubens has not (so far) put himself in a position of dominance where he could stand a good chance of winning. However, I have every expectation that he can, and that in a very short while he will.

The thing with Chris Amon is that he was one of the dominant drivers of his era, a proven winner in other formulae, and utterly without fortune in F1.

It's the old saying, if it wasn't for the bad luck, he'd have no luck at all.

Classic example was perhaps the last season in which he stood a good chance of winning, when he was driving the V12 Matra. On two occasions that I can think of, he had a healthy lead, with a few laps to go. On the first occasion, he cut a tyre, on the second occasion, his engine ingested a pebble.

I think in the final analysis, he could count about a dozen races in his career that he was in a position to win, only to have a mechanical gremlin jump up and bite.
Old 15 May 2000, 23:24 (Ref:1053)   #2
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was just idly flicking through an F1 stats book last night, and discovered an almost unbelievable set of figures:

Despite driving for; Tyrell, Zakspeed, Williams, Brabham, Benetton, Ligier, McLaren and Jordan, Martin Brundle NEVER won a race out of 158 starts, yet 'the next' team always considered the man capable.

Have times really changed that much?
Old 15 May 2000, 23:34 (Ref:1054)   #3
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sparky, you're right.

And Martin was a World Sportscar Champion, so he was hardly a slouch. Let us not forget he was also the only driver who could shake any kind of stick at Ayrton Senna during their Formula 3 year.

And as benchmarks go, Ayrton has to be one of the best...
Old 16 May 2000, 09:08 (Ref:1050)   #4
Ed-f1
Racer

Ed-f1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Chris Amon is widely considered to be the best formula 1 driver who is yet to win a race. Up until now I hadn't considered comparing him to Barrichello as I had always assumed that Barrichello would eventually win a race. Now I'm not so sure. For whatever reason he has been consistently out-performed by Schumacher this season and it looks like the only chances he is going to get are when Schumacher has problems. I can easily see him going through the season without winning a race and in that case he might not get another chance as good again.

Barrichello has had 3 poles and 3 second places in his career so far. So, what do you think? Is he better than Amon and therefore the best driver never to win a race? Will he one day win a race and so be ineligible for the title? Or is Chris Amon not in fact the best driver not to have won a race so who is?
Old 16 May 2000, 10:53 (Ref:1051)   #5
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
"Chris Amon is widely considered to be the best formula 1 driver who is yet to win a race."
-And i can't see him winning one in the near future...

When Alesi was at Ferrari, he was the next Amon...but he ruined that by winning. He'll win one day...just wait until TGF blows up, or breaks a led or something...
Old 16 May 2000, 13:15 (Ref:1055)   #6
Ace
Rookie

Ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Be patient. The day Ferrari gives him a good car he will win. Just remember how he did in Silverstone and you will see that he has what it takes to win.
Old 16 May 2000, 14:32 (Ref:1056)   #7
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
RB will win a race for sure. The question is if that's all he is going to get...
Old 20 May 2000, 16:56 (Ref:1057)   #8
Ed-f1
Racer

Ed-f1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes Ok everyone thinks Barrichello will win a race sooner or later. Maybe he'll win tomorrow, who knows? The fact remains though that he hasn't won a race yet. The fact that everyone thinks he is going to win sooner or later seems to me to give more evidence towards the 'best driver never to win a race' tag. Just for the record I also expect him to win sooner or later. It's just that now for the first time I can see that it might not be such a sure thing.
Old 27 Dec 2008, 14:39 (Ref:2361487)   #9
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Of course, Chris Amon never had the benefit of a track-invading nutter.
Old 27 Dec 2008, 15:43 (Ref:2361503)   #10
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Another 'Thread from the dead'.
Old 27 Dec 2008, 16:10 (Ref:2361510)   #11
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So sorry... RB is out of F1.