Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 31 Jan 2009, 21:03 (Ref:2383374)   #1
usa318
Rookie

United States
Jacksonville, FL
usa318 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sebring 2009 Protest (Audi's Spirit < Acura's Challenge)

Sportscar Fans:

I have been attending the Sebring 12 hours continually since 1998. Ferrari won my first year, then the V12LMR, and since then its been the Audi show. I've always hoped for a factory effort to challenge Audi, and even as recently as last year Audi was calling for a real challenge, for someone to step-up.

Well...... here it is. Acura has built an amazing program to challenge Audi in the ALMS specifically.

Unfortunately, Audi has decided to drop out of the series (less Sebring), while at the same time building the R15.

Personally, I'm OUTRAGED.... and want to make a point during the race weekend. I have contemplated distributing small shirt stickers with the attached image (Audi's Spirit < Acura's Challenge). Remember the old Audi advertisements? (Audi > Competition)

My question: Am i the only one who would be interested and appreciative of this? Is there a better slogan i could use?

Is this stupid?

Your comments are greatly appreciated....

Hunter

SEE IMAGE AT LINK BELOW

Last edited by usa318; 31 Jan 2009 at 21:06.
Old 31 Jan 2009, 21:21 (Ref:2383381)   #2
CarolK
Racer

United States
Texas
CarolK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by usa318
Sportscar Fans:
Well...... here it is. Acura has built an amazing program to challenge Audi in the ALMS specifically.

Unfortunately, Audi has decided to drop out of the series (less Sebring), while at the same time building the R15.

Personally, I'm OUTRAGED.... and want to make a point during the race weekend. I have contemplated distributing small shirt stickers with the attached image (Audi's Spirit < Acura's Challenge). Remember the old Audi advertisements? (Audi > Competition)

My question: Am i the only one who would be interested and appreciative of this? Is there a better slogan i could use?

Is this stupid?

Your comments are greatly appreciated....

Hunter

SEE IMAGE AT LINK BELOW

http://www.sebringfans.com/forums/in...tach=518;image
First off, your link only works if you are a registered user!

Secondly, STUPID - without a doubt a overwhelming YES (rather childish)

Third, Audi did not drop out of ALMS just because of Acura.

Fourth, remember if you point your finger at someone you have three pointing back at you

Carol
Old 31 Jan 2009, 21:38 (Ref:2383387)   #3
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well it's a downer for the fans, i'm not too bothered. Teams come and go all the time. At least we'll still see a terrific fight at Le Mans this year, but it is a shame about the lack on manufacturers copeting in the ALMS.
Old 31 Jan 2009, 21:50 (Ref:2383391)   #4
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I dont think that Audi ran away ..... I think its a combination of economics and the rumoured fact that Porsche are on their way back to LMP1 .

But it is a damn shame that they couldnt let Champion play about with one of the R10's .
Old 31 Jan 2009, 21:52 (Ref:2383392)   #5
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
You should have been around with that t-shirt when Cadillac had their LMP1 effort !!! ..... They just upped shop and did a runner too !!!
Old 31 Jan 2009, 22:08 (Ref:2383402)   #6
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A manufacturing minnow like Aston Martin has put together a Le Mans/LMS program, Kolles have put together an R10 customer program etc., so were are the major US manufactures, or the likes of Riley and Panoz, are they too infatuated with NASCAR and Grand Am.
Old 31 Jan 2009, 22:17 (Ref:2383405)   #7
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Flyin Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
A manufacturing minnow like Aston Martin has put together a Le Mans/LMS program, Kolles have put together an R10 customer program etc., so were are the major US manufactures, or the likes of Riley and Panoz, are they too infatuated with NASCAR and Grand Am.
The goal of racecar manufacturers is to make money. There's no money in a company making an LMP1 because there are no buyers of the cars.
Old 31 Jan 2009, 22:43 (Ref:2383412)   #8
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds like with some good coverage this could ruffle some feathers.. Sounds like fun
Old 31 Jan 2009, 23:02 (Ref:2383420)   #9
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
WMUCarGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
I dont think that Audi ran away ..... I think its a combination of economics and the rumoured fact that Porsche are on their way back to LMP1 .

But it is a damn shame that they couldnt let Champion play about with one of the R10's .
What part of Champion Racing no longer exists is so hard for people to comprehend?
Old 31 Jan 2009, 23:02 (Ref:2383421)   #10
chewymonster
Veteran

chewymonster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And Acura/Honda won't race the 24 hour race why?
Old 31 Jan 2009, 23:03 (Ref:2383422)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You can't force someone to race. If they get abuse because they cut back their programme then I suspect that if they did take notice it would more likely to encourage them to leave. They are turning up to race at Sebring, good on them. Others aren't there at all.
Old 1 Feb 2009, 00:24 (Ref:2383448)   #12
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Let me recommend you put the following on the shirt.

For the only manufacturer who spent 10's of millions of dollars on racing for nearly a decade as a factory entrant in the ALMS in Prototypes, for the manufacturer who spent millions of dollars sponsoring races, for the manufacturer who spent 10's of millions of dollars sponsoring the series itself, so it could afford to be televised, we are mad because you've stepped away after being the series biggest supporter since inception.
Old 1 Feb 2009, 01:19 (Ref:2383460)   #13
SickRimpson
Rookie

United States
massachusetts
SickRimpson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1st time writer, long time reader....

Hey, Id wear one just for fun and to see peoples reactions. Good conversation starter no matter what your point of view!
Old 1 Feb 2009, 01:54 (Ref:2383474)   #14
juicy sushi
Racer

juicy sushi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
panoz doesn't have the money. never really did. riley makes a lot of money selling chassis to nascar and grand-am teams. but they don't have the money for an lmp program, never did. nor does lola. they rely on privateer teams who do. do you have some suggestions regarding some one who has the money, and desire to run a car? kolles put together an r10 customer program through his factory connections. aston martin are doing le mans on the backs of other people's money. they're not paying for it themselves.

racing isn't a charity. and in a depression, where is the money going to come from?...
Old 1 Feb 2009, 04:23 (Ref:2383518)   #15
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Panoz never had lots of money?
Old 1 Feb 2009, 04:40 (Ref:2383523)   #16
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I respect your desire to see good racing, but this is a foolish, misguided endeavour that misrepresents Audi and does a disservice to a manufacturer that was happy to carry a large chunk of the ALMS (and ACO-rules racing in general) on its back. Remember, without them, you may not be looking at the ALMS as it is for them not to be entering full-time. The people involved in the motorsports programs are racers - rest assured they are not happy not to be competing this year either.

Fogelhund said it better than I did, of course. I offer an alternative to his suggestion for a better t-shirt though. Write Audi a cheque for the annual operating budget of ASNA. See what happens.
Old 1 Feb 2009, 13:29 (Ref:2383665)   #17
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicy sushi
panoz doesn't have the money. never really did. riley makes a lot of money selling chassis to nascar and grand-am teams. but they don't have the money for an lmp program, never did.
Panoz doesnt have the money ..... Multinational pharmacuticals company !?! ..... yeah , right .

Riley doesnt have the money with all those sales ..... Lavaggi can ?

I reckon Riley wont do it , cuz he is too comfortable at the moment , and he really needs too .

As for Panoz , well really he doesnt need an excuse , after many years with one of the most crowd pleasing chassis ive ever witnessed . That beast will become legend , but I would love to see them back as a team again .
Old 1 Feb 2009, 13:40 (Ref:2383671)   #18
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by juicy sushi
panoz doesn't have the money. never really did. riley makes a lot of money selling chassis to nascar and grand-am teams. but they don't have the money for an lmp program, never did. nor does lola. they rely on privateer teams who do. do you have some suggestions regarding some one who has the money, and desire to run a car? kolles put together an r10 customer program through his factory connections. aston martin are doing le mans on the backs of other people's money. they're not paying for it themselves.

racing isn't a charity. and in a depression, where is the money going to come from?...
So the money is there for the LMS and Grand Am, whether from manufacturer's, sponsors or wealthy individuals, but not for the ALMS.

But the ALMS is not at fault, it's the economy?
Old 1 Feb 2009, 14:13 (Ref:2383687)   #19
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Audi clearly want to be in sportscar racing but the economy has caused them to tighten their belts as it has done with everyone else.

Audi Sport wanted to keep racing but got overruled by Audi's top brass, hence their alliance with Kolles-TME for the LMS this year. If they could do something similar in the ALMS then I suspect they would have done.

As soon as this economic mess blows over Audi will be back.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 1 Feb 2009, 14:48 (Ref:2383696)   #20
The Badger
Veteran

No they wont , at least in LMP1 ..... cuz Porsche will be there instead .
Old 1 Feb 2009, 15:18 (Ref:2383707)   #21
Tom908V12
Veteran

France
Paris(France)
Tom908V12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewymonster
And Acura/Honda won't race the 24 hour race why?

Because ACURA doesn't sell cars in Europe perhaps

I know, wrong excuse...because Peugeot doesn't sell cars in USA and therefore run Sebring/PLM
Old 2 Feb 2009, 09:53 (Ref:2384103)   #22
XJR14/WSC95
Racer

XJR14/WSC95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honda sell cars in Europe and Japan (Japan has Interest in Le Mans). Is it really that hard to change 5 Little Letters for one race and give Honda some publicity in Europe as they are no longer in F1. A Holden V8 Supercar team ran with Chevrolet branding for there race in Bahrain.
Old 2 Feb 2009, 11:14 (Ref:2386507)   #23
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
For you who writtes about Acura coming to Le Mans, please read in the Acura Thread, the Acura P1(in its current form) isn't build for Le Mans, and would lose if it showed up!
Old 2 Feb 2009, 11:16 (Ref:2386508)   #24
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
No they wont , at least in LMP1 ..... cuz Porsche will be there instead .
Isn't it still just a rumor which has lived ever since Porsche tested a Lmp1, which where cancelled for the R8?
Old 2 Feb 2009, 16:57 (Ref:2386681)   #25
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Forget it.

Last edited by NightStalk3r; 2 Feb 2009 at 17:00.