Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 19 Aug 2010, 14:46 (Ref:2747148)   #101
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK, Bob, you win this point: My homie Sven racing a modified on a quarter-mile track in Madison, Minnesota on Friday night, Class A baseball, and the Stearns County men's softball league do not need television exposure to attract sponsors to teams that have bills to pay (is that last part about teams lost on you?)

However, it seems Monster Trucks, Skateboarding, and Poker do.
Old 19 Aug 2010, 15:12 (Ref:2747160)   #102
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not sure I quite understand the discussion between Bob and TWK, maybe its that old two Nations divided by a common language thing, or then again, maybe its just old age.

However, away from that discussion, if we consider all the Le Mans based racing as a whole and could get the various series to work together on the TV question we may be able to improve TV and exposure for all.

If the ACO would agree to doing a deal that said no TV for the 24 unless you screen decent coverage of the feeder series we may improve matters. Under the deal TV could be coordinated and fed to any station wanting it and expert advice on competitors, classes, car specs and all other common matters provided to the station. In effect do a "Bernie" and control the output, then that would provide a quality programme that should interest sponsors.

With the number of TV channels competing for programmes and money at present the cake is cut into too many small pieces and the quality is not there to attract the audience and therefore the major sponsors.

The ACO holds all the cards it seems to me
Old 19 Aug 2010, 16:05 (Ref:2747187)   #103
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Riebe View Post
Hmmm, let us see, so you are saying that the U.S. populace has become a herd of- pretty colors on the screen junkies- without which they are ignorant and obtuse of the outside world; therefore, that must make the tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of people of people that attend short-track events- some sort of cultural outlaws?

OH the humanity!
Yeah, pretty much.
Old 20 Aug 2010, 00:42 (Ref:2747406)   #104
juicy sushi
Racer

juicy sushi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man View Post
Not sure I quite understand the discussion between Bob and TWK, maybe its that old two Nations divided by a common language thing, or then again, maybe its just old age.

However, away from that discussion, if we consider all the Le Mans based racing as a whole and could get the various series to work together on the TV question we may be able to improve TV and exposure for all.

If the ACO would agree to doing a deal that said no TV for the 24 unless you screen decent coverage of the feeder series we may improve matters. Under the deal TV could be coordinated and fed to any station wanting it and expert advice on competitors, classes, car specs and all other common matters provided to the station. In effect do a "Bernie" and control the output, then that would provide a quality programme that should interest sponsors.

With the number of TV channels competing for programmes and money at present the cake is cut into too many small pieces and the quality is not there to attract the audience and therefore the major sponsors.

The ACO holds all the cards it seems to me
Perhaps on your side of the Atlantic, but over here, the ACO just doesn't have that kind of pull. Were they to try and say that to SPEED (the only channel which likely consider televising Le Mans in the first place), SPEED's response would likely be "whatever" and they'd happily attempt to fill the time with something else. Sports car racing in North America is unfortunately not in a position of strength.
Old 20 Aug 2010, 07:52 (Ref:2747479)   #105
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by carsten66 View Post
I think most of us will agree with you but the question still needs to be dealt with who will pay all the bills... and for shure you need tons of money and it's safe to say that neither the ALMS nor the LMS are able to get together the funding at the moment...

Just a thought, but maybe the other way around could work as a first step for them... and much cheaper: introduce a web based TV program/station, one platfom for all - the LMS, the ALMS and 24H of Le Mans - and hire some good stuff for TV broadcast productions (or a company), involve RLM and show all the races live, including Qualifyings and Pre-Race-Shows etc. - and hand the stuff over to the TV stations in the US, Europe and worldwide for free (for a start)...

Somebody give that man a cigar. I would be just as happy to have it all left on the net, and we get it on a pay per view basis. TV as we know it will be dead in the next few years. I know it sounds a bit crazy now, but on a worldwide basis, a strictly sports car racing only web TV station with Hindy and Co involved would be successful.
Old 20 Aug 2010, 23:35 (Ref:2747843)   #106
rdt012237
Rookie

United States
somewhere,I think?
rdt012237 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche91722 View Post
Somebody give that man a cigar. I would be just as happy to have it all left on the net, and we get it on a pay per view basis. TV as we know it will be dead in the next few years. I know it sounds a bit crazy now, but on a worldwide basis, a strictly sports car racing only web TV station with Hindy and Co involved would be successful.
Amen to Porsche 91722 and Carsten66! In my case I ,in central New Jersey USA, do not have cable I use "Rabbit Ears" with the switch to digital TV signals my TV now recieves less than half the channels it used to. Cable around here starts at around $50 a month. Oh ya want Speed? Now you've got to step up to a more expensive package. Versus is another step up from the expense of Speed. I watch racing via the Internet This weekend since the ALMS race is on Sunday I probobaly will have to search another source for the R/A race or pay for Speeds in car camera shots coverage at thier website. [My normal sites will have 10 or so people all broadcasting the same nascrap at Bristol]after that race I go to the Izod indy car site and watch them at Sears Point for free. For a full season of Alms I would be willing to pay a reasonable subsription fee to see it on the internet [say $50-$75] I'm setup to transfer the computer image to my tv so I'm not stuck watching the small screen .
Am I a teenage computer geek.. NO I'm 57 years old and was out of college before the first calculators hit the markets here in the USA.[ high tech was a slide rule!]
Why is ALMS [Who proclaims itself as having High tech racing]worrying about selling itself to to a LOW tech media. Internet subcription at their website would return all the profits to them, At my job I know that even after 22 years at the same company either I will adapt and change with the times or I will have to file for unemployment. Why cant ALMS?
Besides which. less electronic equipment in the consumers hands is GREENER than more!
Old 21 Aug 2010, 22:26 (Ref:2748149)   #107
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdt012237 View Post
Amen to Porsche 91722 and Carsten66! In my case I ,in central New Jersey USA, do not have cable I use "Rabbit Ears" with the switch to digital TV signals my TV now recieves less than half the channels it used to. Cable around here starts at around $50 a month. Oh ya want Speed? Now you've got to step up to a more expensive package. Versus is another step up from the expense of Speed. I watch racing via the Internet This weekend since the ALMS race is on Sunday I probobaly will have to search another source for the R/A race or pay for Speeds in car camera shots coverage at thier website. [My normal sites will have 10 or so people all broadcasting the same nascrap at Bristol]after that race I go to the Izod indy car site and watch them at Sears Point for free. For a full season of Alms I would be willing to pay a reasonable subsription fee to see it on the internet [say $50-$75] I'm setup to transfer the computer image to my tv so I'm not stuck watching the small screen .
Am I a teenage computer geek.. NO I'm 57 years old and was out of college before the first calculators hit the markets here in the USA.[ high tech was a slide rule!]
Why is ALMS [Who proclaims itself as having High tech racing]worrying about selling itself to to a LOW tech media. Internet subcription at their website would return all the profits to them, At my job I know that even after 22 years at the same company either I will adapt and change with the times or I will have to file for unemployment. Why cant ALMS?
Besides which. less electronic equipment in the consumers hands is GREENER than more!
Theses a very good antenna thread on the AVS Science forums, unless your line of sight to the TV towers is blocked by large objects, you should be able to pick up more than a few channels. Even without the 4 VHF channels I can't get because I still have a UHF only antenna, I still get 30-35 channels. I would get close to 50 with good VHF/UHF antenna which I hope to get soon.

My only concern is for those that aren't tech savy. But as long as the ALMS makes it widely available through other means (Google TV, Popbox, Boxee) they can buy a fairly cheap set-top (STB) for $100 and as long as they have a decent DSL connection ($50) they'll be able to stream the races.

Unless your a huge Football Fan or NBA fan and it seems your not, invest in a Google TV, PopBox or Boxee Box. I would wait for either of those, plug in your internet and your off and running.

TV is changing.

Last edited by dj4monie; 21 Aug 2010 at 22:36. Reason: Adding more information
Old 25 Aug 2010, 20:58 (Ref:2750213)   #108
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Flyin Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche91722 View Post
How many people would subscribe to this web TV station, how much would a subscription cost, and would it cover the costs involved? At this point with such an enterprise if it was solely sportscar racing, you're really talking the niche of a niche of a niche TV station.

I don't understand how people think the internet is this huge money-making mechanism when people still haven't been able to demonstrate how to break even with it, let alone make money off it outside of a couple companies. Everyone uses Youtube and it still can't break even.

News is a good example. Everyone used to buy a newspaper for news, and all those people buying the newspaper paid for the news gathering along with stuff like classifieds. Now we have the internet where you can view a news story for free but the cost of the news gathering is the same and in some cases is more, so the news org takes a loss even though it did the same job as it did before. Online advertising has come nowhere near covering the cost of news gathering and I don't think it ever will. For some niche content stuff you can get by charging people (as Dailysportscar did/does). But video is an entirely different prospect because you have to ship cameras and people on site while for word/news, all you need is a keyboard and an internet connection.

Last edited by Flyin Ryan; 25 Aug 2010 at 21:11.
Old 25 Aug 2010, 21:03 (Ref:2750215)   #109
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
I'm not sure I'd pay for online TV. I already search online to get it, and it doesn't cost anything.
Old 25 Aug 2010, 21:09 (Ref:2750217)   #110
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
I'm not sure I'd pay for online TV. I already search online to get it, and it doesn't cost anything.
Not to mention if you know where to look, you can find a pirated stream of said event to watch and it doesn't cost anything.
Old 25 Aug 2010, 23:58 (Ref:2750289)   #111
carsten66
Veteran

Germany
Heidelberg, Germany
carsten66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am very astonished why people not willing to pay a small fee to keep going at something they would really like to see to happen... and furthermore supporting their series...

Old 26 Aug 2010, 00:16 (Ref:2750296)   #112
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Money for nothin' and your chicks for free!!

L.P.
Old 26 Aug 2010, 01:03 (Ref:2750311)   #113
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
Quote:
I am very astonished why people not willing to pay a small fee to keep going at something they would really like to see to happen... and furthermore supporting their series...

We do, it's called the cable bill.
Old 26 Aug 2010, 01:04 (Ref:2750313)   #114
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Quote:
I am very astonished why people not willing to pay a small fee to keep going at something they would really like to see to happen...
while you're at it would you like to debate why people download music online illegally?

Music's incredibly screwed up. I don't even need to download the song. If I want to listen to that song Horndawg referenced, I can punch it in to Youtube and listen to it for free without it ever coming onto my hard drive, and it's already been established Youtube doesn't make money and neither does the record company off this. I can also even listen to a dozen trance or techno remixes of the song probably.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAD6Obi7Cag

Last edited by Flyin Ryan; 26 Aug 2010 at 01:12.
Old 26 Aug 2010, 01:07 (Ref:2750314)   #115
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Ryan View Post
while you're at it would you like to debate why people download music online illegally?

What is there to debate?

L.P.