Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Mar 2022, 10:27 (Ref:4102275)   #376
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan View Post
Exactly.

Verstappen sums it up quite nicely in my opinion:

Source: https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/ve...-this/8952985/
I’m sure there’s a fix, there’s always a fix. Even Hamilton has admitted the car would be quick if they can tame it.

Anyone watching the coverage live can see the issues Mercedes was having though, and were not just talking straight line speed, that can be explained away in engine modes/ fuel….but generally the car looks like a pig to drive, it’s not compliment…so I’d say they are actually having issues right now…..the big question is, how quick can they get on top of it.
Old 13 Mar 2022, 10:29 (Ref:4102276)   #377
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It will take time to get it sorted. And I think Hamilton is right.

Mercedes have to things to sort on the car, it seems tricky to drive, even if it is fast. They need Hamilton to be on top of his game and hope all the technical designers can sort the car out in due time
Old 13 Mar 2022, 11:25 (Ref:4102291)   #378
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Anyone would think we've never heard of 'smoke and mirrors' before.....
Old 13 Mar 2022, 11:40 (Ref:4102292)   #379
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Anyone would think we've never heard of 'smoke and mirrors' before.....
Normally I would agree, if it’s a straight line deficit, but it’s not….why would you compromise your winter testing by deliberately making you car handle like that?
Old 13 Mar 2022, 14:24 (Ref:4102308)   #380
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
One thing is for sure is that there is now plenty of time for discussion and conjecture until next weekend until we finally fid out what the true story is which will help the time pass until qualifying on saturday.
Old 13 Mar 2022, 14:29 (Ref:4102313)   #381
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Indeed so - all will become clear soon enough I guess!
Old 13 Mar 2022, 14:48 (Ref:4102317)   #382
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
We will just have to wait and see.
Old 13 Mar 2022, 15:14 (Ref:4102322)   #383
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
Normally I would agree, if it’s a straight line deficit, but it’s not….why would you compromise your winter testing by deliberately making you car handle like that?
That's why I'm more inclined to believe that Mercedes may have missed the mark this year.
They normally sandbag in the first pre-season test, tell everyone they're struggling, then in the last pre-season test, BAM!, and they blow everyone into the weeds.
That's their normally way of working. To go intentionally slow in the last test would be a bit out of character.
Old 13 Mar 2022, 16:02 (Ref:4102325)   #384
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
That's why I'm more inclined to believe that Mercedes may have missed the mark this year.
They normally sandbag in the first pre-season test, tell everyone they're struggling, then in the last pre-season test, BAM!, and they blow everyone into the weeds.
That's their normally way of working. To go intentionally slow in the last test would be a bit out of character.
Yup.

To be fair they had handling issues in testing last year too, which despite hamiltons win in the first race, took a few races to get on top of, but they did.

I think this year is a different proposition, it’s an unknown quantity. As above I suppose we will find out soon enough! I’ve no doubt they will get on top of it….just depends how many points advantage red bull or ferrari have by the point they do!
Old 13 Mar 2022, 21:24 (Ref:4102360)   #385
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
Quite. Right now they are going in to the first race with no real knowledge of their race pace. Shame, I was hoping they would blow MV/RB in to the weeds! Will have to wait a few races I expect!

Also a shame for Russell who I think is very good, but bit of a nightmare getting in to a front running team, perhaps without a front running car.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 13 Mar 2022, 23:10 (Ref:4102372)   #386
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan View Post
Exactly.

Verstappen sums it up quite nicely in my opinion:

Source: https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/ve...-this/8952985/
Absolutely no different to screaming "my tyres are gone" and subsequently setting fastest lap. It's all about enhancing the legend. Real overcoming adversity stuff. Heroic.
Old 13 Mar 2022, 23:48 (Ref:4102374)   #387
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
Absolutely no different to screaming "my tyres are gone" and subsequently setting fastest lap. It's all about enhancing the legend. Real overcoming adversity stuff. Heroic.
Mercedes and Lewis’s version of the children’s parable The Boy That Cried Wolff has been getting old for a long time.
Old 14 Mar 2022, 00:50 (Ref:4102379)   #388
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I see everyone still has the same problems as usual.
Old 14 Mar 2022, 13:47 (Ref:4102435)   #389
dcp2685
Veteran

dcp2685 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
Mercedes and Lewis’s version of the children’s parable The Boy That Cried Wolff has been getting old for a long time.
I see what you did there.....
Old 14 Mar 2022, 14:57 (Ref:4102444)   #390
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I imagine F3 cars could go around some of those hairpins quicker than a 2022 F1 car. They just look so awkward and lazy mid corner.
Old 14 Mar 2022, 18:13 (Ref:4102469)   #391
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I imagine F3 cars could go around some of those hairpins quicker than a 2022 F1 car. They just look so awkward and lazy mid corner.
Probably, F1 cars are heavy. But remember the 2022 F1 cars are made to new safety standards (+20kg to the driver cell) which will soon filter down to F3.

Then you have +23kg for the 18" wheels & wide tyres compared to the narrow 13" wheels and tyres from 2016, the F1 car has an 8-speed gearbox vs the F3-car's six speed gearbox etc etc. The F1 car has a number of reasons for being heavier.
Old 15 Mar 2022, 04:01 (Ref:4102536)   #392
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
F3s should give the F1s a good run for their money at Monaco.
Old 15 Mar 2022, 04:04 (Ref:4102537)   #393
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Probably, F1 cars are heavy. But remember the 2022 F1 cars are made to new safety standards (+20kg to the driver cell) which will soon filter down to F3.

Then you have +23kg for the 18" wheels & wide tyres compared to the narrow 13" wheels and tyres from 2016, the F1 car has an 8-speed gearbox vs the F3-car's six speed gearbox etc etc. The F1 car has a number of reasons for being heavier.
BMW 2.4 litre V8 69 kg, Current engine weight 175 kg min plus 30 kg batteries. Nuts for a racing car.
Old 15 Mar 2022, 12:32 (Ref:4102578)   #394
wnut
Veteran

Interesting piece here from Scott Mansell and Scarbs on how
Mercedes managed to pull off their side pods and the structures under them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nLeJIfzVXw