Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Feb 2022, 09:31 (Ref:4098050)   #51
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Horner has already said the car shown bears little / no no resemblance to what will be racing. They have admitted it to be just a mock up. Apparently it did not even have front brakes fitted.

Respected Technical journo Craig Scarborough highlighted how much of a mock up the RB is in what he refers to as an honest technical analysis of what RB showed.

Basically it was an FIA concept car dressed with the livery.

At the end of the day teams want to keep their secrets just that until the latest moment possible. Its not a new practice and we should expect it, especially with so much new this year.

from: https://twitter.com/ScarbsTech/statu...64640710258696
Despite recent stories of them back peddling no Honda logos
Old 10 Feb 2022, 10:17 (Ref:4098055)   #52
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
I think a smallish Honda Racing Corporation "HRC" logo is on the engine cover. HRC is the Honda division that is supporting RBR and AT. Who knows what might actually show up on the real car.

Richard
Old 10 Feb 2022, 10:26 (Ref:4098056)   #53
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Most teams who are PU customers only have a small logo from the PU manufacturer.

Honda are a supplier, not a sponsor AFAIK?
Old 10 Feb 2022, 13:35 (Ref:4098070)   #54
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Is Aston Martin going to show the real deal shortly?

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/a...debut/8046019/

The are doing a filming day tomorrow at Silverstone. So my guess is they figure there will be spy shots that surface. So they might as well get ahead of that and show the car. If it is the real car. I expect they will still hide some details away. Hopefully it is the real deal.

https://www.astonmartinf1.com/en-GB/...22-launch-live

Richard
Old 10 Feb 2022, 14:36 (Ref:4098076)   #55
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
The are doing a filming day tomorrow at Silverstone. So my guess is they figure there will be spy shots that surface. So they might as well get ahead of that and show the car. If it is the real car. I expect they will still hide some details away. Hopefully it is the real deal.
I guess it depends on whether they're using the 2022 car for the filming day or an older car with the new livery applied.
Old 10 Feb 2022, 14:49 (Ref:4098079)   #56
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
I guess it depends on whether they're using the 2022 car for the filming day or an older car with the new livery applied.
General concensus seems to be that what they revealed is real or significantly more real than what either Haas or Red Bull has done. There are significant differences from the FIA car. They showed both a physical car as well as released a number of renderings. There are clear errors in the renderings as they are hiding details. For example in the renderings, one side of the car has a pushrod front suspension. On the other side the pushrod is just totally missing. But the physical car shows a pushrod suspension.

The sidepods are quite high with significant undercut under them. cooling inlets like the Haas are small, but sidepods are large. No doubt there will be lots of analysis posted soon by experts.

And most importantly, Vettel has grown his hair out into a big mop and he looks more like he did years ago.

Richard
Old 10 Feb 2022, 14:55 (Ref:4098082)   #57
Richard C
Veteran

Small photo gallery in this article.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/a...ivery/8049448/

Richard
Old 10 Feb 2022, 15:07 (Ref:4098085)   #58
Richard C
Veteran

Image showing differences between the Haas and AM

It looks like the sidepod shapes are really about managing the airflow (not that it wasn't always important). But with the removal of much of the bargeboards, the sidepods seem to take on new roles. And clearly Haas and AM have different strategies going on.

It seems there is still a potential for significant differences between the teams. And I find it highly doubtful all will perform the same. How long will it take for teams to copy and gravitate toward the same general aero concept for the new regulations?

I am very much looking forward to race 1 of the 2022 season. It could be crazy.

Richard
Old 10 Feb 2022, 15:15 (Ref:4098087)   #59
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The problem there is the the glossy black on the HAAS side-pods appear to be hiding the actual sculpting of them. The main difference would appear to be the vents on the AM with extra sculpting on the upper engine covering.
Old 10 Feb 2022, 15:26 (Ref:4098090)   #60
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
The problem there is the the glossy black on the HAAS side-pods appear to be hiding the actual sculpting of them. The main difference would appear to be the vents on the AM with extra sculpting on the upper engine covering.
I am not sure I fully understand what you are saying. Are you saying that the Haas sidepods are similar in size at the AM and it's just not easily visible due to the livery? The two side pod concepts (other that similar small inlets) are radically different.

Here is a side view of the Haas which shows that the sidepods top quickly blend down into the bottom of the car.

Not exactly the same view on the AM, but you can see the sidepods extend back and blend into the engine cover but have a significant (or longer) undercut under them vs. the Haas.

Now... the AM seems to be what they will be running tomorrow and probably is relatively representative of what the car will be. The Haas... while different from the FIA car. Could still show up looking very different.

Richard
Old 10 Feb 2022, 15:38 (Ref:4098093)   #61
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm glad AM got rid of the pink lines and used yellow instead. It works so much better with the green.

Old 10 Feb 2022, 16:37 (Ref:4098105)   #62
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
so whats the deal with the vents/gills?

do they really need that much extra cooling? what will they do when they race somewhere hot? cut more gills?

thought i had been reading recently that cooling was more being handled by the lubricants/additives their fuel partners are now bringing...or maybe it was the other way around and the new fuel mixtures require more cooling???
Old 10 Feb 2022, 16:53 (Ref:4098107)   #63
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post

do they really need that much extra cooling? what will they do when they race somewhere hot? cut more gills?
All we can do is speculate at this point. The air for the radiators have to go somewhere. So what if they exit it out the top of the sidepod vs further back? Or maybe they don't want to disrupt the flow that is through the sidepod undercut which I assume is conditioned/optimized for the rear wing and/or diffuser?

But time will tell if the sidepod gills works or not.

Quote:
thought i had been reading recently that cooling was more being handled by the lubricants/additives their fuel partners are now bringing...or maybe it was the other way around and the new fuel mixtures require more cooling???
I think the sidepod radiators handle the bulk of the cooling. The more efficient you are the less energy that is converted to heat that has to be rejected out via the engine somehow (exhaust, water based cooling, lubricant based cooling, etc). There is some level of cooling via the air fuel that is brought into the engine. And while i think the new E10 provides extra cooling effect, I expect it is small compared to the rest of the overall cooling needs.

Getting the cooling requirements down has been a goal because it allows smaller cooling inlets and less airflow disruption.

Richard
Old 10 Feb 2022, 18:41 (Ref:4098122)   #64
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

do they really need that much extra cooling?
There's no extra cooling as such, Aston Martin have simply nearly completely closed off their vent at the rear of the car and have utilised these (now permitted) gills instead.

The old vent:

The new downsized vent:
Old 10 Feb 2022, 18:51 (Ref:4098124)   #65
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Could the gills be ducting the hot air, so it flows over the rear wing?
Old 10 Feb 2022, 19:22 (Ref:4098132)   #66
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
It's low energy air that has been slowed down to go through the radiators. It is not beneficial, just necessary.
Old 10 Feb 2022, 19:52 (Ref:4098135)   #67
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
I am not an aerodynamics, but the exit of the air through the gills, might help with flow control over the top of the sidepods to help stop or delay the transition to turbulent flow. I would assume the more laminar the flow over the top of the car/sidepods the more predictable/efficent the performance of the rear wing.

Richard
Old 10 Feb 2022, 20:26 (Ref:4098142)   #68
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I am not an aerodynamics, but the exit of the air through the gills, might help with flow control over the top of the sidepods to help stop or delay the transition to turbulent flow.
A transition to a turbulent boundary layer isn't a bad thing, turbulent boundary layers follow adverse pressure gradients (surfaces that are falling away) better, not worse, as there is more kinetic energy close to the wall.

There's why there are ridges at the back of the driver's helmets to deliberately make the boundary layer turbulent.

By all means blown slots are great, they can energise a flow and help it stick to adverse curves better, but the slots need to blown with high energy air -- not air that is lower energy than what is already going over the surface! Slow air that has been slowed down to go through the radiators is the opposite of what you what.

Venting the radiator air is a necessity not an advantage.
Old 10 Feb 2022, 20:56 (Ref:4098151)   #69
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
thanks for the insight V8?

your reward is more questions!

trying to think back to where i have seen a team try this solution and the Renault R25 comes to mind.

but thats a from an era of lots of silly aero bits and winglets which created a lot of turbulence/dirty air for the car behind.

dont know if the AM gills will have the same effect (or if im remembering the R25 correctly), but if they do then is this against the spirit of the new rules?
Old 10 Feb 2022, 22:46 (Ref:4098171)   #70
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
but if they do then is this against the spirit of the new rules?
The air that goes through the radiator is expanded out in a large duct to go through the radiator more slowly, and thus the radiator can operate with low flow speed through the fins where the radiator is more efficient and also so the radiator is less draggy.

It is not going to shedding turbulence of any great significance -- it just doesn't carry much kinetic energy. It's just a question of getting rid of the air. Better to do it over the sidepods, than back near the diffuser, where the outlet duct will be in the way of the good, fast, energised air coming around the sides and over the top of outside of the bodywork.

This is a generic racing car radiator duct:

This is a Grand Prix car radiator duct:

It's ducted on the way out too, as every bit of efficiency is important in a modern Grand Prix car!
Old 11 Feb 2022, 08:51 (Ref:4098199)   #71
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
I'm glad AM got rid of the pink lines and used yellow instead. It works so much better with the green.

Presumably the pink went because the sponsor also went.
Old 11 Feb 2022, 09:18 (Ref:4098201)   #72
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Loving the Aston livery, hope it goes as quick as it looks
Old 11 Feb 2022, 10:11 (Ref:4098217)   #73
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
The Aston Martin livery looks great in pictures, as indeed I thought it did last year as well. Actually on TV during the races it looked too dark and less impressive, and was difficult to differentiate from the Black Mercedes at first glance.

Without going into technical details, I do like the overall look of the car under these new regs'.

It's nice to see what we are told is a real car instead of a mock up livery launch.
Old 11 Feb 2022, 15:25 (Ref:4098271)   #74
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Mclaren launch in about 3.5 hours.

https://www.mclaren.com/racing/2022/...h-team-launch/
Old 11 Feb 2022, 15:31 (Ref:4098273)   #75
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
new kit is available.

spoiler alerts...if you believe in tshirts, this is what the car will look like!

if you ask me, pretty clever how they chose to hide the details!