Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Mar 2022, 04:41 (Ref:4102261)   #1
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
Drink Oscar Piastri to McLaren!!

(Sort of)

Alpine has announced it has made its reserve driver Oscar Piastri available to McLaren to serve as a substitute for Daniel Ricciardo if needed.

McLaren confirmed yesterday Ricciardo had tested positive for Covid-19. He has not participated in this week’s test in Bahrain after falling ill two days ago.
Earlier today McLaren team principal Andreas Seidl said Ricciardo’s condition is improving and the team expect him to be able to take part in next weekend’s season-opening race. He said the team could call on Paul di Resta or Mercedes reserve drivers – Stoffel Vandoorne and Nyck de Vries – as stand-ins if needed.

Alpine subsequently issued a statement announcing they would make their reserve driver Oscar Piastri available to McLaren if required.

“In the spirit of offering maximum racing opportunities to our stable of young talent, we have agreed that McLaren may call upon BWT Alpine F1 team reserve driver Oscar Piastri in the event one of their drivers is unable to race,” it said. “Oscar will remain fully contracted to Alpine, and we will retain first options on his services.”

McLaren did not approach Alpine regarding Piastri’s services, but will take him into consideration if a replacement is needed for Ricciardo.

-------------------------------------

Anything that increases his chances to get a drive this year is great for him.
He can learn from Nando and Ocon all year hopefully get a few fridays or tests in the alpine and now there are 4 drivers he may get to sub for.
Happy days for him
Old 13 Mar 2022, 08:02 (Ref:4102266)   #2
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
It's always a shame when there is nowhere in F1 for the F2 champ to go.

It's also a bit weird that Alpine have released this story to the whole world, when they could have just sent McLaren a private email.

It's even more weird that a big team like McLaren did not have a 3rd driver who is ready to slot in and ready to take part in the tests- especially considering the events of the last 2 years.
Old 13 Mar 2022, 09:27 (Ref:4102268)   #3
EastonNeston
Veteran

EastonNeston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I interpreted it as a unilateral move to attract attention by Alpine.

McLaren, like last season, have access to De Vries, Vandoorn and others as reserve driver. On non clashing weekends Pato O'Ward would be a possibility too.

This is just Alpine trying to attract publicity and gain info on McLaren, and Mercedes, systems.
Old 13 Mar 2022, 10:41 (Ref:4102280)   #4
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Vandoorne and Di Resta are both under contract to run at Sebring in the World Endurance Championship, the same weekend as Bahrain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post

It's also a bit weird that Alpine have released this story to the whole world, when they could have just sent McLaren a private email.
Alpine team principal Otmar Szafnauer has stated “We’ve talked to McLaren about Oscar being a reserve if they need him. However that does not tell us how keen or receptive McLaren were on the idea...

Re Pato I would think given his lack of testing in an F1 car it might be career suicide for him.
Old 13 Mar 2022, 10:51 (Ref:4102285)   #5
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I can't see Vandoorne and di Resta wanting to come back to F1, they are happy where they are

I am sure Alpine still have first calls on Oscar. But it's nice of them to loan him off to McLaren if needed, not that I think they will, they have their own cluster of reserve drivers. And I can't see Pato in F1, he probably will stay where he is
Old 13 Mar 2022, 11:22 (Ref:4102290)   #6
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I can't see Vandoorne and di Resta wanting to come back to F1, they are happy where they are
I can't see either getting the opportunity.
Old 13 Mar 2022, 12:27 (Ref:4102297)   #7
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I can't see either getting the opportunity.
I think it would just be a one-off race, so that's not really a case of 'wanting to come back'

That said, I think Vandoorne would be passed over again, anyway.
Old 13 Mar 2022, 12:31 (Ref:4102298)   #8
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

AnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
If Vandoorne wasn't interested why accept a contract as one of the two Mercedes reserve drivers?
Old 13 Mar 2022, 14:26 (Ref:4102310)   #9
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnoyedMoose View Post
If Vandoorne wasn't interested why accept a contract as one of the two Mercedes reserve drivers?
I'm sure that such a position would carry some kind of financial (and possibly other) incentive?
Old 13 Mar 2022, 15:11 (Ref:4102320)   #10
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Vandoorne definitely would, he was publically very disappointed to be past over for Russell for Sakhir 2020 - he'd love a chance to prove that he's a much better driver now than he showed against Alonso.
Old 13 Mar 2022, 19:09 (Ref:4102343)   #11
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Even if he was needed, I can't see Mercedes allowing one of their affiliated teams letting a Renault driver gain experience of their powertrain. Look at Williams & Alex Albon having to cut his ties with Red Bull/Honda before he could drive for them.
Old 14 Mar 2022, 06:03 (Ref:4102389)   #12
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post

It's even more weird that a big team like McLaren did not have a 3rd driver who is ready to slot in and ready to take part in the tests- especially considering the events of the last 2 years.
Makes perfect sense... Mr Piastri was linked to HAAS for a seat that was never on.. this shows the world that it wasnt Alpine that held him back..

(Mr Piastri's management - including Mark Webber - apparently put the kybosh on any possibility of a HAAS plan)
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 14 Mar 2022, 06:49 (Ref:4102392)   #13
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
(Mr Piastri's management - including Mark Webber - apparently put the kybosh on any possibility of a HAAS plan)
Especially when they realised he wasn’t on their list anyway.