Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 26 Jun 2017, 06:13 (Ref:3746876)   #376
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Why do they need HSV then?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 26 Jun 2017, 06:59 (Ref:3746879)   #377
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Perhaps they should disappear from motorsport immediately, so the teams know exactly where they stand?
Old 26 Jun 2017, 08:10 (Ref:3746889)   #378
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Seems to me like they're getting it very, very wrong here. By all means appeal to a different demographic but turning your back on existing customers makes no sense at all.
Surely the smart move would be to work out how to keep existing customers and then add heaps of new customers from a wider demographic range.
Turning your back on existing customers means building the whole thing up from scratch - not easy.
Old 26 Jun 2017, 10:23 (Ref:3746914)   #379
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wonder what the residents of Werribee/Mt Druitt/Logan think of this new stance?
Old 26 Jun 2017, 10:29 (Ref:3746916)   #380
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Many will cut an onion or two, into their VB/Carlton Draught.
Old 26 Jun 2017, 10:33 (Ref:3746919)   #381
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
Wonder what the residents of Werribee/Mt Druitt/Logan think of this new stance?

It's ok there's plenty of other cars for them to break into
Old 26 Jun 2017, 13:00 (Ref:3746955)   #382
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Seems to me like they're getting it very, very wrong here. By all means appeal to a different demographic but turning your back on existing customers makes no sense at all.
Because they don't have permission to import any of the (excellent) Cadillac, Camaro or Corvette performance products to sell to said buyers... so what can Holden bosses in Australia do?

The products exist, they are good products but they are forbidden fruit. So that's all fine and dandy, it is what it is.

They can make a HSV Colorado and HSV Astra, and that's about it.
Old 26 Jun 2017, 13:02 (Ref:3746956)   #383
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Perhaps they should disappear from motorsport immediately, so the teams know exactly where they stand?
It has worked well enough for Ford Australia, no appreciable loss in sales by quitting direct support for racing (or developing new models etc). So Holden could do that. Why Nissan are hanging around racing a car they don't even sell anymore doesn't make sense either, so they might give it away too.

Warburton would put a positive spin on it, no doubt.
Old 26 Jun 2017, 23:20 (Ref:3747133)   #384
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Because they don't have permission to import any of the (excellent) Cadillac, Camaro or Corvette performance products to sell to said buyers... so what can Holden bosses in Australia do?
Permissions is not the issue, they are not made in RHD!
Old 27 Jun 2017, 00:33 (Ref:3747146)   #385
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

The products exist, they are good products but they are forbidden fruit. So that's all fine and dandy, it is what it is.

They can make a HSV Colorado and HSV Astra, and that's about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Spot on Mixer - it's the current lack of RHD architecture that is the problem. V8 F, one approach they could take to at least try to hang onto their existing customer base might be to tell everyone that they definitely will have Camaro or Corvette or Caddy here in (say) 2019. That way, existing owners might hang on for those cars, rather than going and buying something else during the information vacuum from Holden.

It's a tactic that's been used by car companies before (Ford did it with Mustang IIRC) and works well - by not using that tactic, existing customers go off and buy another brand, rather than holding off to get a look at the new product coming down the pipe from their existing brand.
Old 27 Jun 2017, 05:02 (Ref:3747184)   #386
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Many will cut an onion or two, into their VB/Carlton Draught.
WHo drinks Carlton Draught urghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !
Old 27 Jun 2017, 11:34 (Ref:3747257)   #387
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Same thing! It's the USA saying "these are NOT for you, you Australians".

If they wanted to sell them in Australia, they would make them in RHD from the outset, wouldn't they? But they have decided these cars are not for Australia.
Old 27 Jun 2017, 11:50 (Ref:3747264)   #388
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

If they wanted to sell them in Australia, they would make them in RHD from the outset, wouldn't they? But they have decided these cars are not for Australia.
Would anyone seriously bother with a RHD conversion for <1,000 cars a year?
Surely that's a market the likes of PerforMax or ASV would be best suited for?
Old 27 Jun 2017, 12:13 (Ref:3747270)   #389
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Would anyone seriously bother with a RHD conversion for <1,000 cars a year?
Surely that's a market the likes of PerforMax or ASV would be best suited for?
HSV have been consistently building and selling around 4,000 cars per year, Holden considerably more than that in V8 configuration. Let's say that between them the potential from the existing customer base might be 8,000 - 10,000 cars per annum. Makes a business case for a number of importers and by the sound of it on the next generation of those vehicles GM is going RHD compatible with its architecture.

Ford did so with the current Mustang and it seems to have paid off for them here.
Old 27 Jun 2017, 12:37 (Ref:3747279)   #390
Umai Naa
Veteran

There is a bit of a stigma attached to RHD conversions, surrounding the overall quality of the conversion, and understandably so. I've seen some pretty rough converions in my time.

I'd prefer a car built as a RHD over a conversion any day of the week.
Old 27 Jun 2017, 14:48 (Ref:3747322)   #391
RedZedMikey
Racer

Australia
Victoria, Australia
RedZedMikey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Or Poms, or Japanese, or Kiwis, or South Africans, the country that invented the Perana Capri.

Ford obviously had an RHD rethink in designing the 2015 Mustang, and I think they are doing pretty well with it for a niche model. GM however are behaving like ostriches.

I'm sure I remember (a couple of years ago) the local head honcho of GM saying we will get an RWD V8 delivered here in due course, but they could/would not reveal what it would be. My assumption was Cadillac, but the CTS-V would probably be well over double the cost of a current 5 litre Mustang, and the ATS-V coupe looks like the TT V6 only.

I'm thinking GM V8 lovers might be in for bad news unless the next gen Camaro is made RHD ex factory.

It seems like Holden is prepared to sacrifice it's performance market and heritage (and the Mustang proves that the equivalent Ford market is live and well) for the new age buyer more interested in connectivity and less interested in driving, handling and performance.
Old 27 Jun 2017, 22:54 (Ref:3747489)   #392
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
When will GM drop the Holden nameplate?
Old 28 Jun 2017, 09:40 (Ref:3747562)   #393
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
When GM can take a bath on the goodwill write off?
Old 28 Jun 2017, 11:29 (Ref:3747576)   #394
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
At some point. Promoting the obscure brand "Holden" instead of the mighty and famous "Chevrolet" is most peculiar.
Old 28 Jun 2017, 11:45 (Ref:3747579)   #395
Umai Naa
Veteran

It should have died with the Commodore.

The dealer network should've then been given the option to re-brand to Chevrolet, or walk from GM altogether.
Old 29 Jun 2017, 11:01 (Ref:3747775)   #396
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZedMikey View Post
Or Poms, or Japanese, or Kiwis, or South Africans, the country that invented the Perana Capri.

Ford obviously had an RHD rethink in designing the 2015 Mustang, and I think they are doing pretty well with it for a niche model. GM however are behaving like ostriches.

I'm sure I remember (a couple of years ago) the local head honcho of GM saying we will get an RWD V8 delivered here in due course, but they could/would not reveal what it would be. My assumption was Cadillac, but the CTS-V would probably be well over double the cost of a current 5 litre Mustang, and the ATS-V coupe looks like the TT V6 only.

I'm thinking GM V8 lovers might be in for bad news unless the next gen Camaro is made RHD ex factory.

It seems like Holden is prepared to sacrifice it's performance market and heritage (and the Mustang proves that the equivalent Ford market is live and well) for the new age buyer more interested in connectivity and less interested in driving, handling and performance.
I think the Mustang was easy because it uses a version of the Jaguar S type platform
Old 30 Jun 2017, 01:41 (Ref:3747867)   #397
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
I think the Mustang was easy because it uses a version of the Jaguar S type platform
Not sure if you're right on that one.
Jaguar S Type was built on Ford's DEW98 Platform Linky
The previous gen Mustang was due to built on that platform but that was cancelled and the Mustang-specific D2C platform was used instead Another linky
The current generation Mustang (which we're referencing here) has its own S550 platform 6 gen Stang linky Ford platform list linky
Based on all that, I think you have the wrong info re S Type and Moostang
Old 4 Jul 2017, 13:58 (Ref:3748894)   #398
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Not sure if you're right on that one.
Jaguar S Type was built on Ford's DEW98 Platform Linky
The previous gen Mustang was due to built on that platform but that was cancelled and the Mustang-specific D2C platform was used instead Another linky
The current generation Mustang (which we're referencing here) has its own S550 platform 6 gen Stang linky Ford platform list linky
Based on all that, I think you have the wrong info re S Type and Moostang
I stand corrected as the man said wearing orthopedic shoes!
Old 4 Jul 2017, 15:24 (Ref:3748910)   #399
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
I stand corrected as the man said wearing orthopedic shoes!
Old 7 Jul 2017, 00:44 (Ref:3749369)   #400
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgroper View Post
WHo drinks Carlton Draught urghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !
I do!

You can keep your VB though