Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 31 Jul 2017, 16:37 (Ref:3756454)   #126
Rob877
Racer

Rob877 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob877 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow, just watched the races through from yesterday. Pretty surprised at some of the driving but even more surprised at the amount of penalties handed out. Only two! Dave Newsham for his attack on Mat Jackson and Stewart Lines, for what looked like a stock car style revenge attack on Josh Cook. Felt bad for Ollie Jackson, driving really well and was just bundled down the order. Shedden half spun him on one of the fastest corners on the track and got nothing! Nice to see Matt Neal get his just desserts in race 3, also looked like he tried to get rid of Sutton at the hairpin at the start of race 3 too.

Such a shame as a couple of years ago (2014/2015) the series seemed like it had really clamped down on driving standards with lots of drivers being given penalties, which seemed to curb the aggressive driving out there. This year we have arguably the most talented grid out there for decades and they just seem to be let loose to do as they please. Even top drivers if not properly refereed will start to think they can push the rules a little further. I'm not just talking about this weekend either. I was really looking forward to this season but I just feel so underwhelmed after witnessing some of the racing this weekend, some of it is just pathetic. How come the Ginetta Junior drivers can manage stunning, close racing without this amount of contact?

Anyway, roll on Knockhill in 2 weeks time. I shall be attending, hoping for some more strict enforcement of driving standards.
Old 31 Jul 2017, 17:40 (Ref:3756467)   #127
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
this looks very much a deliberate shunt , nobody behind Lines that could have pushed him (unles she just happen to have a brake problemsbut just when he was behind Cook of all drivers out there.... )

good image hosting site
Old 31 Jul 2017, 17:48 (Ref:3756471)   #128
porsche962fan
Veteran

also no idea where Cook was going...... there is obviosuly no room to turn into

Shedden was a bit cheeky but credit to him Jackson only lost one place

Last edited by porsche962fan; 31 Jul 2017 at 17:55.
Old 31 Jul 2017, 17:53 (Ref:3756475)   #129
porsche962fan
Veteran

Austin/ Ingram I can see why no race penalty Austin was already more than half car lengh inside , Tingram just tuned into him !!!!

image host sites
Old 31 Jul 2017, 18:04 (Ref:3756482)   #130
porsche962fan
Veteran

Austin was pushed by the VW in race 3

best free image hosting sites

web hosting png

would be ironic if this was championship deciding against Sutton

Old 31 Jul 2017, 18:08 (Ref:3756483)   #131
porsche962fan
Veteran

Neal on Sutton , you can see a perfect legitimate move, a car with available, Sutton just closed the door too late

and Neal seems was fired off by Tingram

upload image free wap

Last edited by porsche962fan; 31 Jul 2017 at 18:13.
Old 31 Jul 2017, 20:12 (Ref:3756525)   #132
luckn002
Veteran

England
South England
luckn002 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post

upload image free wap
From the other angle shown on TV it looked like there was no contact, just Neal losing it under braking (deservingly so...!)
Old 31 Jul 2017, 20:52 (Ref:3756530)   #133
porsche962fan
Veteran

well in the highlights other angle, Neal spun himself

to upload photos

and by the standings will it be
a) reigning champion Sutton
b) reigning champion COLLARD (who then does a Rosberg afterwards? )
c) triple champion Turkington
d) quadruple champions Shedden

the rest are game over but Tingram can still clinch the Indy title

best free image hosting site
Old 1 Aug 2017, 10:16 (Ref:3756643)   #134
auroan
Veteran

auroan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
Neal on Sutton , you can see a perfect legitimate move, a car with available, Sutton just closed the door too late

upload image free wap
If you think that's a cars width then I'm concerned at the state of your own car. must have two broken wing mirrors and scrapes all down it's sides.

Neal put his car on the grass and spun. That is all. I've seen it happen when I race.
Old 1 Aug 2017, 10:28 (Ref:3756644)   #135
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Without a doubt that's a cars width. You can fit a (very badly copied) car in there. Seems like fair game to me at that point.
Attached Thumbnails
carwidth.jpg  
Old 1 Aug 2017, 10:37 (Ref:3756646)   #136
AdrianM
Racer

AdrianM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Without a doubt that's a cars width. You can fit a (very badly copied) car in there. Seems like fair game to me at that point.
Look at the angle of Suttons car though. The gap was clearly closing.
Old 1 Aug 2017, 10:46 (Ref:3756650)   #137
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
First image is debatable (second image onward, yeah without a doubt), but I think Neal is already over committed by that point anyway and he's either going down the inside, or going into the back of Suttons car hard. So given the situation, chucking it down the inside is probably the better option.

Anyway, a rough pass down the inside has long been celebrated as a great thing in BTCC. Are we arguing it should be non-contact now? Half the grid will be banned by round 3. I'd rather that than he smash into the back of him.
Old 1 Aug 2017, 10:55 (Ref:3756654)   #138
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Are we arguing it should be non-contact now?
Errrr - it is non-contact.
Old 1 Aug 2017, 10:58 (Ref:3756657)   #139
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
That *that's* why Sutton's doing so well. How on earth does nobody spot two identical cars taking the start?
Old 1 Aug 2017, 11:13 (Ref:3756662)   #140
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Errrr - it is non-contact.
Well come on, let's be realistic here. The rule book might well say non-contact, and yet we've just had a race full of contact and what was done about it? Actually, we've had at least 2 decades worth of contact with very few results. The series markets the entire thing on accidents (TV adverts showing cars rolling, intro showing accidents, tweeting the big accidents). So yeah ok, the rules say non-contact but this series has made an audience based on being a partial contact series, and the move that Neal made was no where near as bad as a lot of we've seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
That *that's* why Sutton's doing so well. How on earth does nobody spot two identical cars taking the start?
It's not out of the question! Couple of years ago, IMSA didn't know the difference between all the Porsches and penalised the wrong car twice in a single incident (and never did get the right one in the end!). With stewards like that, you could probably fit another car in the race and run an hour or two before someone said "hey...wait a minute!"
Old 1 Aug 2017, 12:24 (Ref:3756696)   #141
850Estate
Veteran

Sweden
GBR/SWE
850Estate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Granted Matt Neal is a considerably better driver than me, and granted his Honda is a considerably better car than anything I've ever taken to track in, but I wouldn't consider trying to squeeze myself down that gap alongside Sutton.

Given it's touring cars, and given the damage bills don't cripple him as much as they cripple folk who scrape coins together I can see why he tried it. He's got it wrong though imo.

I like Epps, and he's pretty strong in his comments about the driving standards, but it does look like he just fired Austin off from those screenshots. Likewise the Stewart Lines and Josh Cook incident...I refuse to believe it was deliberate, but it certainly looks like poor driving for one of the country's premier championships. The incident between Shedden and O.Jackson looks poorly judged on the former's behalf too. In fact it's not dissimilar to what Newsham got punished for.

What I will say however is that the stewards got the Austin decisions right, which I didn't think at first. So credit to them where it's due.
Old 1 Aug 2017, 12:40 (Ref:3756699)   #142
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Couple of years ago, IMSA didn't know the difference between all the Porsches and penalised the wrong car twice in a single incident (and never did get the right one in the end!). With stewards like that, you could probably fit another car in the race and run an hour or two before someone said "hey...wait a minute!"
Being entirely fair, I have observed an incident, written down numbers, called them in, started a report and had race control come back and ask "are you sure that was car NN, there isn't one of them in this race!"

It starts at the boots on the ground level. If we can't get it right, upstairs can't either!
Old 1 Aug 2017, 12:46 (Ref:3756700)   #143
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Being entirely fair, I have observed an incident, written down numbers, called them in, started a report and had race control come back and ask "are you sure that was car NN, there isn't one of them in this race!"

It starts at the boots on the ground level. If we can't get it right, upstairs can't either!
Easy errors to make. I know we're OT, but this article might make an amusing read for you

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...ll-at-sebring/
Old 1 Aug 2017, 12:47 (Ref:3756701)   #144
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think it's better to have shots like that and analyse each incident, instead just dismissing them all as bad driving standards. Austin can perhaps now not be blamed for hitting Sutton in the third race. However although Tingram did turn in on him in race 1, it looked to me like Austin was going too fast to make the corner anyway
Old 1 Aug 2017, 18:19 (Ref:3756757)   #145
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

Easy enough to do I would think. Murray Walker made a career of it! 😀

Maybe this is one of the reasons Nascar puts numbers on cars so big I can see them without my specs...
Old 1 Aug 2017, 20:58 (Ref:3756791)   #146
AdrianM
Racer

AdrianM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
However although Tingram did turn in on him in race 1, it looked to me like Austin was going too fast to make the corner anyway
Austin says his data shows he was slower into the corner than the previous lap.
Old 2 Aug 2017, 10:50 (Ref:3756893)   #147
auroan
Veteran

auroan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm loving this post race criticism by still images. Unless you start racing you really don't know what you're on about. Post slow mo videos not stills !

I've had a massive eye opener on the difficulties a driver faces in a racing situation since I started racing.
Old 2 Aug 2017, 11:23 (Ref:3756907)   #148
Minicross424
Veteran

United Kingdom
Ashford Kent
Minicross424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shedden and Moffit having a spat on twitter.
Old 2 Aug 2017, 11:57 (Ref:3756921)   #149
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minicross424 View Post
Shedden and Moffit having a spat on twitter.
Seems to have flared up and settled down really quickly - but conveniently generates some publicity of a Scottish rivalry just before the series heads north.
Old 2 Aug 2017, 12:31 (Ref:3756932)   #150
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Why, what happened between them?