Old 4 Dec 2002, 04:30 (Ref:442294)   #1
Tailwind
Veteran

United States
Mulvane, KS
Tailwind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm really getting tired of this guy...

Brock Yates in a column for Speed TV

CART on the other hand, is sucking for air. Despite rosy assessments in USA Today by Gary Graves on Nov. 29, and a lengthy treatise by our own, well-respected David Phillips on this site, Mr. Pook and his CARTers face a desperate situation.

While Phillips and Graves argued that successes in Canada and Mexico bode well and that new Ford and Bridgestone backing will inject high energy into the series, I beg to disagree. Please note that I have been skeptical about CART’s long-term future for years, believing that its strategy to cut the emotional umbilical cord between it and traditional American grass-roots motorsports fans would in the end by a fatal mistake. By choosing to be a faux Formula 1 with “international” cars and drivers, as opposed to building loyalty among domestic spectators, teams and drivers, their doom was sealed.

The result: feeble network television ratings, spotty crowds, egregious costs, sagging sponsor support, chaos in its boardroom and steady defections of teams and drivers, both to the IRL and Formula 1.

The decision to embrace Ford’s so-called “high-tech” turbo Cosworth as an off-the-rack powerplant might make short-term sense economically and counter the loss of Toyota, Honda and earlier, Mercedes-Benz, but the notion of 18 identically powered cars snaking around inner city go-kart tracks or on faraway venues in Canada, Mexico and probably Europe, will do absolutely nothing to attract the broad-based American fan and sponsor support that is needed for survival. Surely Federal Express, ABC/ESPN, Toyota, Honda, etc., etc., recognized that CART has positioned itself outside the tent where NASCAR and the IRL’s Indianapolis 500 (and its satellites) now hold all the power.

Like it or not, this nation is essentially provincial in its sporting appetites. Consider the weak support for Grand Prix racing and professional soccer over the years, as opposed to the booming popularity of stock car racing and our own pro football. Face it; our enthusiasm for sports not-invented-here is limited at best. We can delude ourselves that we are sophisticated internationalists, but when it comes to counting bodies at the turnstiles or toting up the Nielsen ratings, the truth is revealed. The sooner the dreamers who support CART’s global current philosophy realize this; the sooner they might steer it to recovery. Tip O’Neil once observed that all politics are local. The same is true for sports.

Chris Pook is one smart guy and he may yet save CART, but the plan for the 2003 season seems not so much a desperate reach for a life preserver but rather grabbing an anvil plunging straight for the bottom.

I wish I was wrong. But I’m not.

Old 4 Dec 2002, 04:37 (Ref:442295)   #2
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Tailwind
or on faraway venues in Canada, Mexico and probably Europe, will do absolutely nothing to attract the broad-based American fan and sponsor support that is needed for survival. Surely Federal Express, ABC/ESPN, Toyota, Honda, etc., etc., recognized that CART has positioned itself outside the tent where NASCAR and the IRL’s Indianapolis 500 (and its satellites) now hold all the power.

Like it or not, CART is INTERNATIONAL, is it wrong to be a CART fan and not be in the US? !

Last edited by StuiE; 4 Dec 2002 at 04:40.

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 4 Dec 2002, 04:43 (Ref:442299)   #3
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't get too ****ed, reading the article it's all opinion, his opinion. He must be feeling some pressure if that's the best be can write.
Old 4 Dec 2002, 05:00 (Ref:442304)   #4
philneast
Racer

Australia
Hobart , Tasmania, Australia
philneast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mr Yates sounds very much like an publicist for ther IRL.

How does the he explain a race where Dario Franchitti in a Honda poered car battles Gil De Feran and his Toyota powerplant for the race win in Japan, while Scott Dixon is not far away in third.

The cursed Internationalists of CART, No!! this is the All American provincial IRL 2003.
Old 4 Dec 2002, 05:36 (Ref:442307)   #5
Ben 93 325is
Racer

Ben 93 325is should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah Brock? And it is MY opinion, that you probably wrote that with Tony George behind you pounding away. Promising you some fruitless benefit for bad mouthing CART. Bite me.
Old 4 Dec 2002, 06:50 (Ref:442322)   #6
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what a load of ******
worth a laugh though
Old 4 Dec 2002, 06:50 (Ref:442323)   #7
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Tailwind, if you're really getting tired of Brock Yates, might I suggest that you try my two simple rules?
1) Never bother linking to any articles by Jack Arute.
2) Never bother linking to any articles by Brock Yates.

It's a good thing TG can't get pregnant from having his butt kissed!
Old 4 Dec 2002, 06:59 (Ref:442324)   #8
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Best thing to do is simply ignore these sorts of articles. No point having a heart attack because some clown decides to prostitute himself for a nothing series.

CART will survive.
Old 4 Dec 2002, 07:01 (Ref:442326)   #9
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
...and CART will prosper.
Old 4 Dec 2002, 11:38 (Ref:442452)   #10
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Faraway venues like Canada and Mexico????

Brock, Brock, BROCK ... (1) You need to get out more; and (2) How do you get them to pay you for turning in the same column every week for the past 10 years?

HEY BROCK! THERE'S A BRAZILIAN IN NASCAR NOW! IT'S THE THIN EDGE OF THE WEDGE! RUN FOR THE HILLS!
Old 4 Dec 2002, 13:11 (Ref:442532)   #11
gaines
Racer

gaines should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmmm

Let me see, the NFL goes to both Japan and Mexico for preseason games to get international exposure. Major League Baseball and the NBA have teams in Canada and players from around the world. The NHL has a huge fanbase and twice as many teams as Canada now and hockey wasn't invented in this country. NASCAR used to foray into Canada and Japan before their schedule became year round and no longer have time and Ontario's oval got too old to host a race. Major League Soccer is getting more popular every year in this country thanks to a generation of kids coming up who have played soccer their entire lives. This guy is an idiot. The IRL is going to Japan now to make love to Toyota and Honda personally for forcing real life race teams, instead of make shift hillbilly teams, to come to their pathetic series. Going global is a no-brainer in today's world. It's not like this message board isn't a perfect example. When else in time can several people from all over the world talk about one topic and not be 1.)A diplomat 2.)royalty 3.)CB freaks with an antennae longer than Portugal?

Everything is global now. Welcome to the 21st century. As an American I'm insulted by the article, personally.
Old 4 Dec 2002, 15:58 (Ref:442640)   #12
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't always disagree with Brock, and I find his perspective interesting, often. Except when he goes on about this type of balderdash.

Liz, you've got it nailed. Run for the hills, indeed. Unless Cristian is now considered to be from Miami?
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 4 Dec 2002, 17:12 (Ref:442683)   #13
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's so wrong...
Old 4 Dec 2002, 20:22 (Ref:442775)   #14
FastCar5
Rookie

Canada
Toronto, Canada
FastCar5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
His mama never really named him "Brock". In reality it was "Betty" as in "Betty Boob!"
Old 4 Dec 2002, 20:26 (Ref:442777)   #15
Bizzo5000
Racer

Bizzo5000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone complain that F1 is international? And what is all this talk about sponsorship shifting to IRL. Didn't Michael loose Kool and Motorolla when he left? Isn't Pioneer sticking around? Didn't we just gain 2, count 'em 2, title sponsors? Isn't the IRL the one series with out a title sponsor and arn't they loosing one of the only "known" sponsors they have in Red Bull? Our attendance is better then most and TV ratings are about the same as the IRL's. So we're loosing some drivers in their "twilight years". Oh no, an influx of young talent, what ever will we do?
Old 4 Dec 2002, 21:04 (Ref:442804)   #16
Ben 93 325is
Racer

Ben 93 325is should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Bizzo5000
Oh no, an influx of young talent, what ever will we do?
Old 4 Dec 2002, 22:30 (Ref:442886)   #17
slicktoast
Veteran

slicktoast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Just who is Brock Lee Encheese trying to convince?
Old 5 Dec 2002, 00:14 (Ref:442969)   #18
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Christian's son will be considered American maybe, if he can lose the accent. However, nobody would dispute that Mario Andretti is considered "American", yet he's as international as anybody could wish.

When was the last time you heard anybody whining that America's National Sport shouldn't let guys like Sammy Sosa take jobs away from True Blue American Boys? If you said that out loud they'd laugh at you. We don't even know where most of them come from. We know if they can play baseball or not.

And come to that, how can you tell if a guy named Ramon Gonzales is from Cuba or from Miami or from West Virginia? Johannes van Overbeek is a white bread Californian; but you'd probably get Brock Yates to say he was "foreign" before he heard him talk.

gaines is absolutely right. It's a global village now.
Old 5 Dec 2002, 02:19 (Ref:443021)   #19
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
... let's not forget that every village needs an idiot.
Old 5 Dec 2002, 04:12 (Ref:443037)   #20
jslone
Racer

United States
Gaithersburg Maryland
jslone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DOes Brock Yates really know what a fan is?

I am a season ticket holder for the Redskins,first,second I am an autoracing fan(really does not matter the series).What does that make me,having been to the DC grand prix and other races(as far as I know nothing close for me for Cart yet)?If he really believes that then no wonder there is this perception that Cart is on the way out it these idiots running their collective pieholes on nothing that they speak of.Makes me sick to see these comments from a so called professional.If he does not give a c**p for our sport then he should not say one word.

Last edited by jslone; 5 Dec 2002 at 04:15.
The forums head dirtbag and headhog
Old 5 Dec 2002, 04:39 (Ref:443044)   #21
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think if you look at the short term plan and assume there is nothing more to come then I can see how he's coming to his conclusions. For next season there is little that you can claim will bring long term success directly. I think next year will build a good foundation for the future. Pook is thinking long term and like Yates said, he's not stupid.

Bringing the fresh blood is both good and bad. Talent levels will be lower initially, but I think rookies don't get any chances anymore so it will be good in that respect.

Again on the engines, I don't care if you like them or not. CART's engine formula is the best in the world in terms of size vs. power vs. cost. (although I think they should run more than 750HP) Having a big 8L engine like Brock has suggested is not in the spirit of open wheel racing.

One thing he's totally right about is that americans want to see americans racing. There can be a brazillian or two to beat up on, but ultimately they want to see an american win. I think dedicated fans see past this and develop their own favorites, but they have to become dedicated first.

Take my friend for an example, I got him to watch 2 F1 races. He immediately took a liking to Coulthard. Why would you like someone who's in 6th place, isn't passing anyone and isn't that great a driver? He's only guy in the field with a name he could identify with! (don't forget where JV has lived for upwards of two years )

Last edited by Snrub; 5 Dec 2002 at 04:41.
Old 5 Dec 2002, 05:13 (Ref:443049)   #22
greg.n
Racer

greg.n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So the great American dream team still lives on in the mind of Brock Yates while another IRL icon falls to the cutting room floor when he announces that he is not doing a full IRL season but will look at doing LeMans and Daytona 24hrs as well. So much for the great Red Bull driver search...a one car IRL team with an occasional second entry at a few races plus IRL 500. As several people have already noted Brock Yates is out of touch with everybody except the IRL and NASCAR marketing offices. By all means refute him in the national press but dont waste your time writing posts instead of sleep. he's not worth it.
Old 5 Dec 2002, 12:14 (Ref:443213)   #23
Liz
Veteran

So if Bernie would just hire an American driver or start an American team and put in the "Ferrari Fix" to guarantee that he'll win all the races, the USA will come on board? They'd really prefer a rigged race where someone with the right birth certificate and family tree was guaranteed a win?

I wouldn't call them "race fans" then. They want life to be like television. They should stick to the WWF.
Old 5 Dec 2002, 12:49 (Ref:443240)   #24
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
CART may not be as strong now as it has been in previous years, but I know for sure its going to get stronger, Ive got lots of friends like myself who have this year gotton into CART now that it is being telivsed more and more, and I can honestly say that CART is the best form of racing Ive ever seen (apart from Le Mans.)

Dont take any notice of what people like him have to say, every form of racing at the moment is struggling, F1, ALMS, F3000 they are all losing a few teams at the moment but things will get better, thats just the way it is in motor racing.

If USA dosent want CART, Europe will have it thats for sure, its attracted 1 new fan this year at least <grins>
Old 5 Dec 2002, 20:22 (Ref:443629)   #25
jslone
Racer

United States
Gaithersburg Maryland
jslone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brock is entitled to say what he feels but he is wrong.Cart will survive and be stronger.It is people like Brock who gives Cart a black eye because he is a public figure and some people believe in him,why I do not know.If he wants to start his own American series then he should(he would get a clue as to how hard it is to run an organization), otherwise he should shut the hell up,stop bashing Cart and say some things that are positive of the sport.All I see is his bashing of Cart.
The forums head dirtbag and headhog