Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 23 Aug 2017, 11:41 (Ref:3761160)   #1
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
BTCC Rounds 22/23/24 Rockingham 2017

Quick word of warning for anyone going to Rockingham this weekend

http://www.rockingham.co.uk/event/du...-championship/
Quote:
Spectator Information:

Following a recent Safety Advisory Group required inspection of the Turn 1 Grandstand, we have been informed that we are unable to open it for this weekend’s Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship race event.

We realise this will be disappointing news for some spectators who use this grandstand, however unfortunately these circumstances are beyond our control.

The Rockingham Building will be fully open over the weekend, providing ample unreserved seating for spectators.
Old 23 Aug 2017, 12:27 (Ref:3761170)   #2
luckn002
Veteran

England
South England
luckn002 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hopefully Rob Austin will get his first win of the season having gone well here before.

HARD / TAG should be strong too, no reason why Hill & Epps can't fight for podiums.
Old 23 Aug 2017, 13:28 (Ref:3761178)   #3
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Quick word of warning for anyone going to Rockingham this weekend

http://www.rockingham.co.uk/event/du...-championship/
Might make finding space in the main stand tougher, bit of a shame, oh well.
Old 23 Aug 2017, 13:52 (Ref:3761182)   #4
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Rockingham is a strange place (although to be fair I've only been there once and visiting in December probably doesn't show it at its best). What's access like at the BTCC meets? Can you get onto the pit garage roof or are you stuck in the grandstands?
Old 23 Aug 2017, 15:59 (Ref:3761208)   #5
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Rockingham is a strange place (although to be fair I've only been there once and visiting in December probably doesn't show it at its best). What's access like at the BTCC meets? Can you get onto the pit garage roof or are you stuck in the grandstands?
Well, given the spectator announcement you'll be limited in terms of grandstands to the Rockingham Building this weekend. However, from the lovely website:

As always at Rockingham all tickets include access to a grandstand seat offering panoramic views of the entire circuit, the pit garage roof and race paddock, which means there are no hidden costs

So you're all good there.
Old 23 Aug 2017, 16:09 (Ref:3761212)   #6
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Bit unfortunate those circumstances

This is gonna be a hard one to pick a winner. It could go anybody's way.

Would love to see Jelley doing well on a circuit he has won twice at
Old 24 Aug 2017, 15:14 (Ref:3761383)   #7
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its not like Rockingham are short of grandstands!

Personally I hate the place and would not venture there to view.
The only decent place to watch is the approach to the hairpin and of course you are not allowed stand or sit there.
Old 26 Aug 2017, 15:02 (Ref:3761722)   #8
thlbtcc
Veteran

thlbtcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great drive by Cole there, well done!

It's so close, that extra half tenth makes all the difference.
Old 26 Aug 2017, 15:50 (Ref:3761725)   #9
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great session that because just look at the timings, not so much the positions. We're all in for some close action tomorrow.

Nice driving by Cole there, getting better and better.
Old 26 Aug 2017, 15:38 (Ref:3761723)   #10
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if Cole can take pole on a suppsoed FWD track you know they have too much advanatge no matter how you take it
Old 26 Aug 2017, 16:29 (Ref:3761727)   #11
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
if Cole can take pole on a suppsoed FWD track you know they have too much advanatge no matter how you take it
Don't worry. Your precious Hondas will still win the title. 5 out of 6 NGTC driver titles remember!
Old 26 Aug 2017, 16:48 (Ref:3761729)   #12
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
If a mixture of FWD and RWD make up the front of the grid, and less than half a second separates the top 14, you know that no one has a significant advantage and the BoP is about right.
Cole has been improving a lot lately, putting in some impressive performances and did the best job today. You seem to find it hard to give credit to Cole for his drive, if they had too much advantage wouldn't Price be up there too?
Old 26 Aug 2017, 17:58 (Ref:3761735)   #13
Steel Wheels
Veteran

Steel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSteel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
If a mixture of FWD and RWD make up the front of the grid, and less than half a second separates the top 14, you know that no one has a significant advantage and the BoP is about right.
Cole has been improving a lot lately, putting in some impressive performances and did the best job today. You seem to find it hard to give credit to Cole for his drive, if they had too much advantage wouldn't Price be up there too?
Hats off to Cole, great lap! If those who are knocking him consider the fact JP in the same car couldn't match him & neither could Price! Ash has weight on board and was not far behind Cole. Seem's he's found his Formula Ford form
Old 26 Aug 2017, 18:45 (Ref:3761742)   #14
Racing Harz
Veteran

Germany
Herzberg am Harz
Racing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRacing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
What Advantage?
Old 26 Aug 2017, 17:06 (Ref:3761732)   #15
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think porsche962fan has jumped to a conclusion far too early, but it is quite amusing that after Knockhill people kept saying RWD would be no where at Rockingham and it's actually all fine. Well...lol.
Old 26 Aug 2017, 19:11 (Ref:3761748)   #16
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not sure what relevance a top speed chart has when discussing lap times? Wouldn't it be better to show a lap time chart?
Old 26 Aug 2017, 19:44 (Ref:3761752)   #17
BillWiskins
Racer

European Union
Brighton
BillWiskins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Not sure what relevance a top speed chart has when discussing lap times? Wouldn't it be better to show a lap time chart?
Wasn't the complaint last time that the Subarus were too fast in a straight line? I suppose that's the relevance.
Old 26 Aug 2017, 20:06 (Ref:3761759)   #18
Jiiiiiiim
Veteran

England
Devon
Jiiiiiiim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillWiskins View Post
Wasn't the complaint last time that the Subarus were too fast in a straight line? I suppose that's the relevance.
Pretty sure that's what the speed chart is getting at! The moans have been about the Subaru's straight line speed.........
Old 26 Aug 2017, 20:10 (Ref:3761762)   #19
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Oh right. I was assuming it was all about the driven wheels. I think mr porsche has jumped to a conclusion far too early, but Knockhill was clearly a RWD circuit and we did keep reading that it'll be different at Rockingham. So it does look a little silly when a RWD car is on pole after those comments.

Although it does backup that the Honda is massively pegged back. And I did say that Newshams car was underpowered at Knockhill and I was told I was clearly wrong and it wasn't, yet on that chart it's pretty bad. So yeah, that chart just backs-up the obvious observations from Knockhill.
Old 26 Aug 2017, 22:01 (Ref:3761777)   #20
porsche962fan
Veteran

why the heck did TOCA strangel the Hondas so much ? do they really want an all RWD title battle between Sutton and WSR ? because every other FWD car is out of it

Quote:
The car feels great. It’s the best car we’ve ever had

I was absolutely wringing the neck out of the car, but to explain where we are, you just have to look where we are in the speed traps. Over the finish line we’re 30th and 31st (with Shedden and Simpson)

We’ve just got to make sure we don’t get the thing smashed up in the midfield – when you consider who we’re surrounded by. We just can’t live with them on the straights at the moment. I wish I could paint it better than that – it’s the same car I stuck on pole twice at the beginning of the year, but we can’t fight in it
Old 26 Aug 2017, 22:48 (Ref:3761783)   #21
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
why the heck did TOCA strangel the Hondas so much ? do they really want an all RWD title battle between Sutton and WSR ? because every other FWD car is out of it
The BMW's and Sutton are all in the bottom half of the speed trap times, so TOCA aren't strangling Honda in favour of the other title contenders.

The simple thing about today's qualifying is that the Subaru and BMW carried their ballast better than the Honda.
Old 26 Aug 2017, 22:04 (Ref:3761778)   #22
porsche962fan
Veteran

and seems Jack Goff also thinks the Subarus have too much boost

Quote:
All credit to James for putting it on pole, but if you were to take the weight out of Ash’s car in P4, he’d have been three or fourth tenths of a second up the road. I’m interested to see how they police it

BTW should we really for Colin to be champ ? as each time it happened he lost his seat with WSR....

Last edited by porsche962fan; 26 Aug 2017 at 22:14.
Old 26 Aug 2017, 22:19 (Ref:3761779)   #23
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
As I see it there really is not that much between the fastest and the slowest car on that chart.

Go forth and compare the gaps between fastest and slowest in F1 or Nascar for example and they are much much bigger.

Cole really does seem to have come on in leaps and bounds. Has he really improved his driving or has he learnt how to get the best from the car? Or indeed both these things? I've been critical of him in the past and am now taking it back. Go on young man, get it on the podium tomorrow morning!
Old 26 Aug 2017, 22:30 (Ref:3761782)   #24
Rob877
Racer

Rob877 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob877 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surprised to see how low down the speed trap charts the Subaru is there. I think a bit more respect should be shown to James Cole, he's up there on merit and has closed the gap to Sutton and Plato rather than enjoying an advantage due to boost. As the speed trap data shows on the first page. All credit to him, he seems to have really got a handle on that car.

Top 27 cars covered by less than a second on a pretty long track, looks like TOCA are doing a pretty decent job of equalizing the cars to me. The only anomaly being the Hondas who shouldn't be as low as they are, although the gap isn't as big as their drivers like to make out (as all drivers do I hasten to add).
Old 27 Aug 2017, 09:21 (Ref:3761869)   #25
luckn002
Veteran

England
South England
luckn002 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any predictions for today? I'll guess...

R1 - Sutton
R2 - Goff
R3 - M. Jackson

....with a podium for HARD