Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 3 Mar 2016, 02:34 (Ref:3619469)   #1
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Daniel Ricciardo to NASCAR

Please no. Win an F1 title first before considering a move to left turn only racing.
Old 3 Mar 2016, 09:37 (Ref:3619507)   #2
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
R.Lee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who? Sorry, never heard of him.
Old 3 Mar 2016, 10:18 (Ref:3619511)   #3
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Lee View Post
He has been a F1 driver for the past 5 years.
Has 3 wins. From Australia.
I say come one, come all.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Ricciardo
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2016/...-jr-in-nascar/
Old 3 Mar 2016, 13:01 (Ref:3619530)   #4
Number4
Racer

England
The Dead South
Number4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
Please no. Win an F1 title first before considering a move to left turn only racing.
He does not have much chance of winning the plastic electric parade world championship this year, unless a miracle happens at Red Bull.
He has an open offer to drive a road course (right turns included) for JR motorsports in NASCAR's Xfinity series (2nd Division), which he has so far declined.
Lewis Hamilton has also expressed interest in stock cars, he was at Homestead in the #24 pit box. I hope they both see the light and make the switch.
Old 3 Mar 2016, 14:08 (Ref:3619545)   #5
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

I love you, R Lee!!!

You can appreciate this, at least. Not sure the exact reasons other than admiration of The Intimidator, but when F1 allowed them to choose their own numbers, Daniel took the 3:

Old 3 Mar 2016, 20:05 (Ref:3619637)   #6
Bakemono
Rookie

United States
Columbus, OH
Bakemono should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That would be interesting. I cant blame him either, considering the current state of Redbull.
Honestly, he could probably walk on to either of the road courses and win the race.
Old 3 Mar 2016, 20:10 (Ref:3619641)   #7
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Seriously? Ricciardo to NASCAR? I know F1 is a bad patch atm, but the gimmicks introduced in NASCAR the last few years make F1 look well run
Old 3 Mar 2016, 22:23 (Ref:3619687)   #8
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Seriously? Ricciardo to NASCAR? I know F1 is a bad patch atm, but the gimmicks introduced in NASCAR the last few years make F1 look well run
Yep.
Old 5 Mar 2016, 22:47 (Ref:3620309)   #9
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post

I love you, R Lee!!!

You can appreciate this, at least. Not sure the exact reasons other than admiration of The Intimidator, but when F1 allowed them to choose their own numbers, Daniel took the 3:

That is interesting, but then again, not surprising, in today's world of racing. The drivers of the different forms of racing have developed respect for each other. Unfortunately, I can remember, in the not too distance past, when the drivers of different racing forms oftentimes did not respect drivers of other forms of racing. I remember when every other form of racing looked down on stock car drivers, called them various names, etc. That is one of the NUMEROUS reasons that I have for not following and having ZERO interest in any form or racing, outside of stock car racing. I'm glad the drivers finally figured it out! Kudos to all of them!
Old 6 Mar 2016, 04:00 (Ref:3620371)   #10
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
I'd rather see him first at IndyCar. He has plenty of time for Nascar.
Old 8 Mar 2016, 00:25 (Ref:3621069)   #11
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
I'd rather see him first at IndyCar. He has plenty of time for Nascar.
Wrong answer! He does not have plenty of time for NASCAR!!! This, for a VERY long time now, has been the attitude of formula car and sportcar fans and until just the last few years, formula car and sport car drivers! This elitist attitude that they can just come into NASCAR as some kind of a retirement series is not only laughable, but a complete joke as well! I laugh, because until just recently, the drivers thought that they could just waltz in and take the wins, with ease! The ones that possessed/possess that attitude quickly find out that it isn't so and if they stay, wind up running in the back of the field! A look at the various lower tier NASCAR series quickly shows that they have become a YOUNG MAN'S series. K&N drivers are competing in their mid to late teens and the Truck and XFinity series ages for most of these drivers are also QUITE young. Basically, if you don't start in NASCAR at a relatively young age, you won't get a seat!

As for the Sprint Cup Series, now, due to the charter/franchise system, unless you are a charter/franchise team/driver. you will have only a very limited chance at getting into a car. Basically, if you are an outsider, FORGET IT! NASCAR IS NOT a RETIREMENT SERIES! The sooner they learn that, the better!
Old 8 Mar 2016, 01:27 (Ref:3621086)   #12
Number4
Racer

England
The Dead South
Number4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Wrong answer! He does not have plenty of time for NASCAR!!! This, for a VERY long time now, has been the attitude of formula car and sportcar fans and until just the last few years, formula car and sport car drivers! This elitist attitude that they can just come into NASCAR as some kind of a retirement series is not only laughable, but a complete joke as well! I laugh, because until just recently, the drivers thought that they could just waltz in and take the wins, with ease! The ones that possessed/possess that attitude quickly find out that it isn't so and if they stay, wind up running in the back of the field! A look at the various lower tier NASCAR series quickly shows that they have become a YOUNG MAN'S series. K&N drivers are competing in their mid to late teens and the Truck and XFinity series ages for most of these drivers are also QUITE young. Basically, if you don't start in NASCAR at a relatively young age, you won't get a seat!

As for the Sprint Cup Series, now, due to the charter/franchise system, unless you are a charter/franchise team/driver. you will have only a very limited chance at getting into a car. Basically, if you are an outsider, FORGET IT! NASCAR IS NOT a RETIREMENT SERIES! The sooner they learn that, the better!
Montoya managed 2 wins in 255 starts over 9 seasons of NASCAR. Both on road courses and never an oval win. Since he has dropped down to Indycar he won the Indy 500 and only lost the Championship because of double points at Sonoma.
Old 8 Mar 2016, 01:55 (Ref:3621089)   #13
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
He does have plenty of time for NASCAR. But he doesn't have plenty of time to succeed in NASCAR. It's a different discipline entirely and the typical open wheel hotshot can't master that series. See Haas' quote in the F1 thread.

I like to see more have a go though so as to claw back that era where drivers tried their hand at multiple disciplines as a matter of course.
Old 8 Mar 2016, 12:28 (Ref:3621194)   #14
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number4 View Post
Montoya managed 2 wins in 255 starts over 9 seasons of NASCAR. Both on road courses and never an oval win. Since he has dropped down to Indycar he won the Indy 500 and only lost the Championship because of double points at Sonoma.
JPMs background was open wheels and road racing. He was a previous series champ and Indy 500 winner and the move back to open wheels cannot be considered a "drop down", by any means.

To your point, however, NASCAR sometimes has a perception that anyone can jump in and be successful, but that's a farse. Unless Daniel has any oval or saloon car racing background, it's a tall order for success.

Who is the successful top series racer that cut his teeth in mini stocks? Now that may have some weight for success.
Old 8 Mar 2016, 20:02 (Ref:3621296)   #15
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
This elitist attitude that they can just come into NASCAR as some kind of a retirement series is not only laughable, but a complete joke as well! Because until just recently, the drivers thought that they could just waltz in and take the wins, with ease!
I never said that.

Hornish, Montoya, Ambrose and Robby Gordon have showed that Nascar requires a long preparation.
Old 9 Mar 2016, 09:26 (Ref:3621478)   #16
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
I never said that.

Hornish, Montoya, Ambrose and Robby Gordon have showed that Nascar requires a long preparation.
I didn't say that you did. I pointed out that MANY of those fans had and that until recently, since the 1990s or so, (Scott Pruett was the first one that I can remember that did not bring that attitude with him) the drivers had brought this attitude with them!