Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 22 May 2003, 15:03 (Ref:606942)   #1
stefan
Racer

United Kingdom
nr bristol, uk
stefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
any advice on how to be a commercial artist?

Is it best to go it alone with a personal website and ads in magazines or to try and get represented by a gallery? Are there any good links - I remember once seeing a site for a sort of motorsport artists association but can't remember where. Also, any competitions worth entering?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by stefan; 22 May 2003 at 15:03.
Old 22 May 2003, 16:01 (Ref:607002)   #2
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
I suppose its who you are targeting your work at. Personally, I've created a brochure and sent that to teams. I also have a website, which now gets lots of hits. However if your looking at the general public, then I suppose a link site, getting listed on search engines and maybe adverts in Autosport etc but Andrew Kitson would be better to advise on that really
Old 22 May 2003, 20:48 (Ref:607204)   #3
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Stefan, you just have to persevere, have faith in and enjoy what you are doing!

The association you mention is probably the Guild of Motoring artists. I am not in the guild myself although I have been asked many times. The advantage I suppose would be to have your work shown in the exhibitions they organise. As virtually all of my work is commissioned through my contacts and not for sale, I see little point as they take commission on what you sell.

I do not really know of any worthwhile competitions although there was one a few years ago organised by the late David Mills of Grand Prix Sportique which launched the career of Ferrigno.

Going freelance, be prepared for lots of set backs, you may think that sending proposals to teams will definitely bring you commissions but be prepared to be disappointed as only one in 20 or 30 may show any interest, even when you are well established. They will then take ages to decide if they want something or not and sometimes use every excuse going why they haven't paid you yet!

You will also find that occasionally you are working every hour going for little reward, around the clock sometimes, but then a commission will arrive or a deal comes off that makes all the toil worthwhile and there is no better buzz than the satisfaction of receiving a delighted positive response when you present your work to the client.

When I started, it was very much a hobby. I kept a record from the beginning of all of my works, sizes etc and where they went. I was startled a few years ago to open my old book and realise that my first 43 pictures were given away! My father was involved in racing and his friends and colleagues received freebies! It took a while for the penny to drop that I could earn from it. The payback has meant that several of those recipients became good customers of my later works.

Once you get a few commissions, hang on to those customers and hope for repeat business and remember to network with their sponsors and other team mates etc. using your artwork as a common link. For example, I did a painting for a driver who raced at Le Mans. Once the picture was finished copies were shown to his co-drivers, one of whom ordered a painting himself.

Remember too that although many folk may like your work, many others will not, it's just a matter of personal taste much akin to music for example. I have clients who do not like the loose abstract style of Dexter Brown for example, yet I have tendered for work to be told that my work is too tight, too photo realistic.

Good luck with it and keep us up to speed with what you are doing.
Old 23 May 2003, 10:55 (Ref:607642)   #4
stefan
Racer

United Kingdom
nr bristol, uk
stefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the excellent advice. I have a great job (directing CG at aardman) so it's really just a hobby at the moment. But occasionally I dream about living a semi-retired life in the south of france, recording with photos and drawings the many excellent classic events that are held there.
I'll make a concerted effort to get some drawings done this year. Perhaps with a series at Le Mans, Goodwood and Shelsley.
Andy - you've had some interesting jobs - I notice on your site - must be great to be involved with an F1 team.
Old 28 May 2003, 17:31 (Ref:612687)   #5
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
yes, it was good but very hard work. Now work for EA building cars for computer games (Maya, Houdini) so not a million miles away from the work your doing.

sorry to be off topic, but is a Jason Spencer-Goldsworthy at Aardman, I was at college with him) I come from Brizzle originally