Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 25 Mar 2007, 08:45 (Ref:1875596)   #1
Jeremy Hall
Racer

Jeremy Hall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Race Retro - Stoneleigh Park

Great show -again, but has it peaked?
Old 25 Mar 2007, 09:16 (Ref:1875619)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well there's a great post! Having never been able to go perhaps you can expand on that Jeremy?
Old 25 Mar 2007, 09:17 (Ref:1875620)   #3
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
my first time yesterday, its good, and for me better than the Autosport show as you don't have to trapse past 500 sweaty tarts in lycra and spotty max power boys to get where you want! within 5 minutes of walking in the door I'd found exactly who I wanted to see, I think the race organisers and our trusted suppliers etc where all in the one hall (2) so it made for a very enjoyable day for the whole family!
Old 25 Mar 2007, 09:39 (Ref:1875637)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I really must get there one day. Did anyone speak to Rachel on the Masters stand? If so was there anymore news?
Old 25 Mar 2007, 10:30 (Ref:1875662)   #5
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think your right Jeremy,I went up on Friday and it felt like stepping back in time,all of the main stands were occupied by the same people in the same places.! I,ve been going since it started,next year,probably stay at home and carry on working.It has become a social event ,that cannot be that bad,but it would be good to see something different.
Old 25 Mar 2007, 13:23 (Ref:1875803)   #6
COLIN STUBBS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Louth.Thats the one near Cadwell
COLIN STUBBS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A few sweaty tarts in lycra perhaps?? I think its a good show but like you said a bit of a social event. I missed last year so it wasnt too bad,but would have been better if the outside events were running on friday as well.
Old 25 Mar 2007, 13:25 (Ref:1875804)   #7
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
There was a nice girl on the Polski Fiat stand. In miniskirt and boots.
Old 25 Mar 2007, 15:38 (Ref:1875872)   #8
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14
There was a nice girl on the Polski Fiat stand. In miniskirt and boots.
It was my first time I liked it a lot and will come back next year. But there are many possibilities for "special features" to be developed just like the modern pimpy show at NEC.
Old 25 Mar 2007, 16:45 (Ref:1875912)   #9
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Jeremy was spot on, I felt it missed the wow factor. Maybe it's a month too late and all the interesting cars are being readied/on track. Shift back to end Feb and see what happens?

Still miles better than Crufts, sorry, Autosport International.
Old 25 Mar 2007, 18:58 (Ref:1876034)   #10
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman
Still miles better than Crufts, sorry, Autosport International.
and this years post of the thread award goes to . . . .
Old 26 Mar 2007, 08:24 (Ref:1876495)   #11
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ah, so Mike Hoyer and my son must have got best of breed awards - could have sworn it was something else!

Seriously though, are we going to get any actual feedback or reports of the Retro event, here? What was on show; what was good about it; any interesting racing cars?
Old 26 Mar 2007, 09:28 (Ref:1876542)   #12
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
In all honesty John I wasn't paying that much attention, it was more of a social and meet and greet for us, we where in and out in 4 hours.

I'm a busy man you know!

fave car for me was the red Rochdale Olympic outside, I want one !
Old 26 Mar 2007, 09:55 (Ref:1876562)   #13
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
My comment wasn't aimed at you specifically, Zef; I was just hoping for a bit more. Sounds like this was a bit of a stale event.

Agree about the Rochdale; discussed a bit here:-

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93198
Old 26 Mar 2007, 10:04 (Ref:1876568)   #14
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Hmm,

Shame, perhaps as has been said, a return to the February date would be better? A lot of people were out racing over the weekend which would have reduced the appeal.

When I spoke to Rachel at Masters she suggested that yesterday was a bit quiet.
Old 26 Mar 2007, 10:56 (Ref:1876599)   #15
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
agreed Peter, the race season has started for many, and we're at the time of year when people start getting busier. with a full time job, a young family and a list of engines to build a day out looking at stuff is a luxury of time I can ill afford, but I'm glad we went, and Arthur loved it . . .especially the blockley tyre stand and all the wheels!
Old 26 Mar 2007, 11:01 (Ref:1876601)   #16
Fred Gallagher
Rookie

Fred Gallagher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As an organiser (Tour Britannia) the show works really well for us on Friday and Saturday but Sunday seems to have a totally different crowd.

We would prefer it in February too but Ian Williamson had a massive heating bill last year and fears bad weather keeping the gate down.

Nevertheless, there is a hell of a lot to see.

Fred
Old 26 Mar 2007, 14:24 (Ref:1876726)   #17
TorqueWench
Racer

United Kingdom
Sunny Berkshire
TorqueWench should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The show was a massive hit for the CSCC stand - although I agree about the tyre-kickers on Sunday; it's a vital place for our Club to meet up with other organisers and chat about 2008 (honestly), and also for racers to look at the "shop window" of the organisers and think about where they might be racing this year and next. I don't think it was too late in the year, but then we've got another 3 weeks to our first round.

We also get a lot of feedback from these events (Formula Free came out of a remark a member made at the Autosport Show, and so did the sponsorship). I felt sorry for the autojumble guys in the freezing sheds. The dinner went very well on Sat evening with lots of familiar faces which was very nice.

We would be very interested to hear about attendance numbers etc, but there's no way we wouldn't do Race Retro as it exactly fits our audience.

Well done to Ian and his band - I felt it was a huge success.
Old 26 Mar 2007, 14:35 (Ref:1876730)   #18
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Almost too popular for its own good already - I arrived before opening on saturday but within a very short time it was virtually impossible to get around to see things easily due to the massive amount of people around! The size of the ailes is too small for the number of people, but bigger ailes means fewer stands. Difficult. I would prefer to go on friday when its likely to be less busy but then you don't get the "Slowly Sideways" display.

Glad to see that the CSCC stand was very busy but disappointed that there wasn't a car on display! It would have been good to see a cheap "Tin Top" or "F Free" car on display with some details of purchase cost and entry fees as an example of how cheap it can be to go racing (relatively!).
Old 26 Mar 2007, 15:27 (Ref:1876752)   #19
sunny.traveller
Racer

sunny.traveller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This was my first visit to Race Retro and I really enjoyed it all - so much to see that we didn't manage even half in the time we had on Saturday afternoon. Seeing the rally cars up close after their display was amazing. Definitely hoping to visit again next year although essential for next time is getting up earlier so we can park closer and have more time, and thermals/woolly hats for the "Slowly Sideways" - would have loved to watch for longer but eventually I coudn't feel my feet.
Annette
Old 26 Mar 2007, 21:21 (Ref:1877093)   #20
Andrew Gunnell
Racer

United Kingdom
stratford-upon-avon
Andrew Gunnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This year was my third year I have gone to the show. I found the people at Motorsport Academy useful as I was looking for advice for finding a job in the motorsport industry. In addition I found having a number of organising clubs there useful so I could find out dates, so I could organise my marshalling year ahead. As always 'Slowly Sideways' was great, but like some of the others have mentioned there were almost too many people there.
Old 27 Mar 2007, 21:43 (Ref:1878027)   #21
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just had a press release pop into my inbox saying there were 25k visitors there. Just shows interest in "real" motorsport is growing all the time. Hope it can reach the heights of 05/06 in 08, I'll be there!
Old 29 Mar 2007, 08:12 (Ref:1878974)   #22
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I went on Saturday. Was impressed how easy it was to get in, the rally display was excellant although I felt sorry for the historic kerters as they used teh same track which involved a floorpan scraping/back jarring ledge they had drive over!
Inside it was a good mix between trade stands and the race series and U2TC, Masters and HSCC all were busy. S2000 were in amongst them but have still to take the obvious step and talk to HSCC about running their Historic S2000 series with HSCC. It will be the best way for the series to take off...
A lot of talk about the new Guards Trophy series which sounds like its going to be a roaring success. Rumours of the Snet round having GT40's and Cobra's on the grid should ensure it is every bit as evocative as the original series....
Earlier comments about it being like a trade party are true but after the winter its good to catch up with the gossip and find out who is doing what!
As for the auction - £100k for the Mini Cooper!!!! The cars were, for the most part, a bit disappointing. The Osella's were nice but didnt sell there were a couple of single seaters which didnt sell - I would be interested to know where the two Osella's ran out of bids if anyone knows....
Ace cafe was a great idea but need to have more tables next year!! All round worh every penny and I look forward to next year!
Old 29 Mar 2007, 09:54 (Ref:1879037)   #23
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
the Ace cafe looked like a winner, although it was incredibly busy

we stopped at M&S on the way . . .better food and still cheaper than ear nose and throat burgers !
Old 29 Mar 2007, 09:56 (Ref:1879040)   #24
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Best Yet?

As far as the content of the show was concerned I think it was one of the best yet at Stoneleigh. My favourite cars were the two Ferraris and the choclate Drop Chevron (Pity the latter was being used as a leaflet stand).

I went on Friday and spent a lot of time chatting with people I know who were also visiting. I also made some good contacts for the North West Car Show which my club is involved in promoting. I bought the new Tony Marsh book and got the great man to dedicate & sign my copy.

Has the show peaked? I don't think so.
Does it need the WOW factor? I think the show is far better than the abomination that takes place at the NEC every year! However the organisers should in my humble opinion be looking to set the stage better. Much that I like the Proteus Jags there could have been a better stand to greet you upon entry!

Like Andy97 I went on Friday - OK I missed the Slowly Sideways demo but then I am not a rally fan! I did manage to get round first thing before the crush developed (10:30ish) but by late afternoon (3:30ish) it was quiet again!

What is needed at Stoneleigh is a couple of extra Halls. If Hall 4 was to the same standard as 1, 2 & 3 - i.e. not like a Siberian Winter - then I am sure there could be more space to spread out. If there was then a couple of extra Halls (5 & 6) where the Autojumble etc could be housed I feel the whole thing would grow.

Finally I was speaking to the seller of the 'record breaking' Mini-Cooper on Sunday. He still hadn't recovered from the shock! He had decided to sell the car as he wasn't in a position to make full use of it and thought someone else would. The reserve the auctioneers put on the car was 'more that I expected to get' and within a couple of minutes the three telephone bidders and the bidders at the show had doubled the reserve! The seller was 'speachless' when the hammer went down and it took him some time to calm down enough to drive home! The first thing that his wife said to him when he got through the door was 'what are you going to buy next?'

Old 29 Mar 2007, 10:43 (Ref:1879070)   #25
James Murray
Racer

James Murray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I went with my dad and a mate on Friday and enjoyed it as usual.

My biggest critisism however was nothing to do with the content of the show itself but the lack of decent food outlets. Quite frankly what was available was shocking and what made it worse was the time you had to spend queing.