Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 30 Jun 2005, 10:50 (Ref:1343691)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Turkish GP

Well I've got a ticket (3 days) "Gold 2" however no transport or accommodation and I'm four hours away from the circuit. Transport systems aren't too sophisticated here at the moment.

This is the inaugural GP so I'll try to keep peeps informed of any logistical nightmares or issues that arise for future, or even this year's, reference.
Old 6 Jul 2005, 06:31 (Ref:1348497)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Right,

The latest news is that I could book a 4* hotel near the circuit for ........................... 1000.00 Euros for two nights plus breakfast. I've decided on a small hotel 20 kliks away for 45 Turkish Lira per night.

Car hire next.
Old 6 Jul 2005, 19:40 (Ref:1349013)   #3
carrera
Veteran

England
Gatwick
carrera should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Remember that 45 lira is not as little as it used to be.

Don't suppose million lira notes are still legal tender.
Old 7 Jul 2005, 08:42 (Ref:1349366)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Its the same as 45 million lira! About £19.00
Old 1 Aug 2005, 10:36 (Ref:1368969)   #5
klausnomi
Rookie

klausnomi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hi there! i want to inform the ones who're planning to come to istanbul for f1. because of the organization, all the hotels including smaller ones are reserved in istanbul and it's said that there's no vacant room in the city.
i have a flat in istanbul and wanna rent a room to someone who's interested. for details you may send an e-mail to zweiosterei@yahoo.com
Old 1 Aug 2005, 10:38 (Ref:1368971)   #6
klausnomi
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Right,

The latest news is that I could book a 4* hotel near the circuit for ........................... 1000.00 Euros for two nights plus breakfast. I've decided on a small hotel 20 kliks away for 45 Turkish Lira per night.

Car hire next.
where's that small hotel? i'm bloody curious.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 10:47 (Ref:1368985)   #7
klausnomi
Rookie

Quote:
Its the same as 45 million lira! About £19.00
by the way, it's about 27-28 euro, not 19.00.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 11:56 (Ref:1369056)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yes that's what £19.00 is.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 11:59 (Ref:1369059)   #9
klausnomi
Rookie

Quote:
Yes that's what £19.00 is.
it definitely is not.
multiply:
1 euro = 1.60 turkish lira
Old 1 Aug 2005, 12:15 (Ref:1369079)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by klausnomi
it definitely is not.
multiply:
1 euro = 1.60 turkish lira
Correct but:

1 (£) pound is 1.45 Euros. Or am I mis-reading you?
1 (£) pound is approx 2.3 YTL.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 12:19 (Ref:1369084)   #11
klausnomi
Rookie

Quote:
Correct but:

1 (£) pound is 1.45 Euros. Or am I mis-reading you?
1 (£) pound is approx 2.3 YTL.
oh, sorry. i didn't realize it. i percieved it as the euro mark. sorry.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 12:25 (Ref:1369094)   #12
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
No problem. I'll look out the hotel deets tonight and pm them to you.

Welcome to the forum by the way.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 12:32 (Ref:1369104)   #13
klausnomi
Rookie

Quote:
No problem. I'll look out the hotel deets tonight and pm them to you.

Welcome to the forum by the way.
thanks
by the way, i'm bloody serious, if you cannot manage to find a vacant place, you can contact with me.
Old 13 Aug 2005, 05:55 (Ref:1381174)   #14
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Woohoo!! Tickets arrived via UPS last night. Bought from grandprixtickets.com one of 10/10s partners.

Dispatched at 2pm on 11th from Rotterdam, arrived here in Ankara 18:00hrs last night.

Car hire arranged so I'm outta here early Friday morning.
Old 15 Aug 2005, 15:14 (Ref:1382824)   #15
BigB
Rookie

BigB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can't wait! I'll be in Turn 12 (Stand 7 or 8, can't remember, tickets are waiting in Turkey). Should be a blast! My first live F1 event didnt' go so hot (Indy GP this year ), this should be 100x better.
Old 15 Aug 2005, 17:09 (Ref:1382915)   #16
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I'm on the end of the start finish straight just before turn 1. Got a few mates from work going too. I've got directions for the hotel but gawd knows how long it will take to trvel the 40 klocks.

Word of advice. Allow loads of time for traffic.
Old 15 Aug 2005, 18:40 (Ref:1382972)   #17
BigB
Rookie

BigB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, I'll be arriving in Istanbul Saturday afternoon after a nice 11 hour flight, so I should be knocked out early and wake up with plenty of time to drive over on Sunday.
Old 16 Aug 2005, 14:39 (Ref:1383683)   #18
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
BigB

See your pm's

Actually I don't know what you're doing for transport but one way to cross the Bosphorus is by ferry.
Old 22 Aug 2005, 07:01 (Ref:1388014)   #19
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Well you’ll all read the race reports and no doubt will have seen the TV coverage so I won’t comment on the race other than to say congrats to Kimi.

But what about the event?

What was good and what was disappointing?

First the good bits:

I was fortunate to be seated in the top tier of the main grandstand opposite the Red Bull and Toyota pits. This seat provided a great view of the start finish straight and into the first corner. I could also catch a glimpse of the cars heading up to turn three then when they ran along the back straight. Other stands were open to the elements so many people got a good tan. Nevertheless a short wander round the track on Saturday morning demonstrated that the stand (or tribunes) are located in areas were there are wider views of the circuit.

Interestingly the number of pit garages will preclude any more teams than ten unless cars are “doubled up”.

The main grandstand affords people the chance to stand at the back on the top level of each tier so clear shots for cameramen/women are available.

Behind the main grandstand is the Formula One area, where all the concession stands are placed, it has plenty of space and even on race day was not too crowded. All the usual suspects were there but noticeably there were no Jordan or Minardi merchandise stands. Long queues for the Petrol Ofisi - Cem Artem goody bag.

The circuit itself is really a dustbowl at the moment but I’m sure the banking will be seeded in time for next year.

The bad bits:

Road signs. Non-existent (apart from actually at the turning you need) so if you don’t know the geography, you have to look at the sun for directions. The “civilian” entrance marshals are worse than the Gestapo and you have to remonstrate with them to get to where you are entitled to park. Might be a good idea to allocate parking with each grandstand, oh wait, they do but they don’t send out stickers for the windscreen so unless you can speak the lingo the chances are you’ll be sent to somewhere off circuit.

Saying the above the police a Jandarma were polite and helpful.

Traffic. With poor directions and no decent signage it’s not surprising that things get confused. I made the same journey three times and was sent three different ways. The final exit was, to say the least, of Brands Hatch 1983 proportions.

Catering: With a cuisine of such diversity as Turkey, surely they could come up with something better than Hamburgers and Kofte rolls (a sort of meatball in a bun)? This was disappointing.

Radio commentary: Non-existent so I would ask them to try to provide one next time. Many people were there for their first ever GP and in this modern age a radio broadcast would assist.

Overall I congratulate the Turkish organisation that produced a slickly run event (have to say the supports could be improved), which no doubt will be surpassed next year.