Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Jul 2003, 08:25 (Ref:656598)   #1
Jalt
Rookie

Jalt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jaguar: Webber & Heidfeld (???)

I read this in The Sydney Morning Herald - a pretty respectable Australian newspaper (ok really up to you) . It said:

-------
Webber's new partner
"German Nick Heidfeld is expected to be Australian Mark Webber's Jaguar teammate in formula one next year, replacing disappointing Brazilian Antonio Pizzonia."
-------

Ok it doesn't say that a Jaguar spokesperson said this and I haven't heard anywhere else about Heidfeld going to Jaguar, but does anyone think there's some truth to this?

Would Nick accept such a seat? Or would he think it's step back?
Old 9 Jul 2003, 08:34 (Ref:656603)   #2
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From Sauber to Jaguar a step back?

hmmm....

If Nick doesn´t leave Sauber this year, it´ll never happen for him. Sauber isn´t taking him anywhere, and Nick is running out of time. It will be good for him to measure up to Webber.
Old 9 Jul 2003, 08:36 (Ref:656606)   #3
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think he would accept the seat, the main question is if its a step back?
Heidfeld seems to have 'stagnated' at sauber, passed over for a seat at Mclaren for Raikonnen (which looks like a good move) and Saubers poor performance this year.
Jaguar are developing and have large resources behind them, i hope that a new seat should revitalise a driver who looked very promising.
Old 9 Jul 2003, 08:42 (Ref:656613)   #4
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Re: Jaguar: Webber & Heidfeld (???)

Quote:
Originally posted by Jalt
I read this in The Sydney Morning Herald - a pretty respectable Australian newspaper (ok really up to you)
hmmm, ok
Quote:
Would Nick accept such a seat? Or would he think it's step back?
Your kidding right? It would be a giant step forward. The jag is arguably the best of the rest at the moment (behind the big 4) so he would certainly be getting a better car. Also, hw ould be moving from a privateer team towards a factory outfit.
Quote:
"German Nick Heidfeld is expected to be Australian Mark Webber's Jaguar teammate in formula one next year, replacing disappointing Brazilian Antonio Pizzonia."
I do however find it unlikely, but you never know. I would'nt like to be sitting in that second jag seat next year, Webber is on fire and has the team wrapped around him. He's also developing a habit of ending teammates careers.
Old 9 Jul 2003, 08:42 (Ref:656615)   #5
903cc
Racer

Luxembourg
Luxembourg - Via Singapore & Australia
903cc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it would be a good move or both Nick and Mark. Mark would get a "rated" team mate and Nick will get a better car. The sauber is a dog and it may not be much better next year based on the F-2003Ga
Old 9 Jul 2003, 08:59 (Ref:656624)   #6
Nina
Racer

Nina should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it will Be Webber and Wilson
Old 9 Jul 2003, 09:10 (Ref:656636)   #7
flor
Veteran

flor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridflor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
my guess would be frentzen and not heidfeld, but we´ll see
Old 9 Jul 2003, 09:17 (Ref:656645)   #8
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Sauber isn't based on the Ferrari, that's a myth. The engine is the same, and I think perhaps the gearbox (not even sure about that) but the rear suspension and everything else is their own. Even if it were (based on the Ferrari) it would by no means ensure a good car, because the top level of F1 now is so much to do with thousands of tiny details and little extremes: for example Sauber could strap the entire rear end of the F2002 on their chassis but if their chassis is heavier - or less stiff, or less aerodynamic, or allows less cooling, or eats tyres, or whatever - they won't be able to replicate the performance of the donor car. Sauber will continue to go backwards without a radical change, so if I were Heidfeld I'd be very interested indeed in going to a Jaguar team that at last seems to have got it's act together. I do think he'd be brave to take on Webber though, who is riding on a high and making a great name for himself.

Last edited by Glen; 9 Jul 2003 at 09:18.
Old 9 Jul 2003, 10:13 (Ref:656700)   #9
Attila
Racer

Attila should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I find this piece of information unlikely for the following reasons:
1. It was not mentioned before anywhere else in the media.
2. Jaguar will most likely try to get a British driver for PR reasons
3. Speculation: Heidfeld could be too short for this years Jag

Other than that I could imagine Heidfeld in Jag and I don't think he would be destroyed. He was not killed by Raikkonen either and Kimi is better in my opinion the Webber. So for him there is no reason not to go.
Cheers
Old 9 Jul 2003, 11:01 (Ref:656733)   #10
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've mentioned this in other threads and I'll say it again, I think it would be a good move for all involved. Sauber is a perrenial mid-fielder and Heidfeld's career will just stagnant if he stays there any longer.
For Jaguar it would be good in that Heidfeld will still be relatively cheap but has proven he is a quick F1 driver. Somebody that could finally push Webber. Let's face it Pizzonia has been Webber's only top caliber competition in his F1 career so far and Jungle Boy just isn't panning out. The fact that Heidfeld is German too would also be good for marketing Jaguar in germany,a market that is reportedly very desireable to Jaguar/Ford).
The fact that Heidfeld is a little fella would also be a benefit, more room for ballast and the like.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 9 Jul 2003, 11:18 (Ref:656741)   #11
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heidfeld-Webber would be a tremendous line up, I certainly hope it happens. To think Jaguar started with Irvine-Herbert...it's about time they got a fast, youthful, racy lineup!
Old 9 Jul 2003, 11:22 (Ref:656747)   #12
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by enemy-ace
...The fact that Heidfeld is German too would also be good for marketing Jaguar in Germany,a market that is reportedly very desireable to Jaguar/Ford)...
When this rumour was first floated six months ago or so, this was the main reasom given. Frankly, I'd rather Nick at McLaren, but it ain't gonna happen, but I think that if the R5 is a competant developemnt of the R4, Jaguar will continue its upward climb and Webber will have a challenge. If it works out, Webber/ Heidfeld could be one of the best pairings on the grid.
Old 9 Jul 2003, 11:27 (Ref:656750)   #13
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sensational news. My two favourites drivers in the same team. If this does happen, I'll start buying Jaguar merchandise!!!

This would be perfect for Nick, as he is stagnating at Sauber and the leap to Jaguar SHOULD be a big step forward if Jaguar can keep up their tremendous progression at the moment.

And it will be good for Webber as it will really keep him on his toes as he'll have quite a quick pedaller beside him. Perhaps this is just what Jaguar need now - a decent car plus TWO quick drivers (no detriment to Pizzonia but he's not in Webber's class).

SIGN THAT BLOODY CONTRACT NICK!!!
Old 9 Jul 2003, 11:44 (Ref:656768)   #14
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Webber will need to up his game if Hedifeld's alongside him. Hedifeld's extra experience over Pizzonia would make him a good rival, wand will help him with setup work.

Heidfeld needs to join a factory team now, Sauber aren't really going anywhere. A 2004 McLaren drive looks unlikely, so he should take this offer if it exists.

It would be make or break for both drivers, no doubt about it. But, assuming the 2004 Jaguar is a quick car, and that Bridgestone haven't pulled their position back by then, it could work out well for everyone, Pizzonia exlcuded of course
Old 9 Jul 2003, 11:55 (Ref:656774)   #15
Brandy_snap
Racer

Brandy_snap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It may do Heidfeld some good to go to Jaguar, however I still think he should be in an even better team. McLaren perhaps?!

Alonso for 2004 WDC! - perhaps not
Old 9 Jul 2003, 12:06 (Ref:656778)   #16
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This story was on GrandPrix.com a couple of days ago (http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns11465.html )

Sauber should send Frentzen off to the DTM rather than let Heidfeld go... if Jaguar want some decent press then don't go for the anonymous German! Get Wilson in the green machine!
Old 9 Jul 2003, 12:22 (Ref:656786)   #17
jonathanc
Racer

jonathanc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree wilson would be a better bet in my opinion.
Old 9 Jul 2003, 12:23 (Ref:656787)   #18
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
it would be interesting driver line up not my first choice but never the less .
IMO Mark would have Nick's number well and truely but it would be a solid pairing without a doubt.
Nick in a Jag would be a HUGE step up from a spriling sauber (unless they get a car maker) . And it would give Jag a very good 2nd driver at I would think a decent price sounds like a win win
Old 9 Jul 2003, 12:49 (Ref:656819)   #19
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think it would be a good move for Heidfled. It would be interesting to see how he will perform with Webber.
Old 9 Jul 2003, 12:54 (Ref:656827)   #20
LittleX
Rookie

LittleX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by cos
if Jaguar want some decent press then don't go for the anonymous German! Get Wilson in the green machine!

Depends in what country they want the decent press.
Old 9 Jul 2003, 13:36 (Ref:656870)   #21
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Webber
IMO Mark would have Nick's number well and truely
Call Ripley's 'believe it or not'
Old 9 Jul 2003, 15:28 (Ref:656969)   #22
UKFFORDSTER
Rookie

UKFFORDSTER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Justin Wilson cos theres no better option. I sometimes question Heidfeld's hunger. JW is as hungry as ive ever seen a racing driver. (somebody feed him pleeeeease!!)

1 vote for JW here
Old 9 Jul 2003, 15:41 (Ref:656990)   #23
BMW V10
Rookie

BMW V10 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would Justin Wilson fit in one of those things?
Old 9 Jul 2003, 15:46 (Ref:656999)   #24
high contrast
Retired
Racer

high contrast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You Brits above who posted today havn't read your Motorsport News today have you?!

Last edited by high contrast; 9 Jul 2003 at 15:47.
Old 9 Jul 2003, 15:46 (Ref:657000)   #25
UKFFORDSTER
Rookie

UKFFORDSTER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im sure arrangments could be made :P or rather... I *HOPE*