Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 27 Jul 2005, 06:23 (Ref:1364344)   #1
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mondello

Don't think I'll be bothering to go back to Mondello next year.
A small fence for FIA regs all the way round has effectively killed off all the good photography opportunities.
We were told by the circuit we could go behind them as it was not a FIA meeting but the marshalls were not having it.
With that and the long wet grass on even smaller rougher banks makes it a real pain.
so that means there will be only 4999 paying customers next year.
Old 27 Jul 2005, 07:06 (Ref:1364365)   #2
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Hmmm seems odd that the marshals would get involved - we don't normally bother with spectators unless they're actually causing difficulty on the circuit (such as sitting on the pit wall, hanging over the catch fencing, blocking sight lines, looking like giant flags etc. etc.)

You sure it wasn't Mondello security?
Old 27 Jul 2005, 07:40 (Ref:1364387)   #3
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Never heard that one before-FIA regs requiring more fencing than the national ones? Sounds like the same problem as when CART visited Brands Hatch. I have never been to Mondello,but have long since given up photography of the racing at UK circuits.When I was younger every other spectator seemed to be carrying a camera.Maybe they were photography enthusiasts first and racing fans second? Is that where the crowds have gone-to shoot something else?
Still I had an excellent view over the debris fence from my stand at Bilbao the previous weekend. As of now I only go to street circuits.
Old 27 Jul 2005, 08:01 (Ref:1364398)   #4
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
I'm not sure if it's FIA or not. It may be FIM. I know that the changes were made shortly before the BSB and it does make sense to have more catch fencing when you're dealing with high speed bikes - even with the normal bikes at Mondello, we've had a few instances where bikes have bounced higher than the existing fencing.
Old 27 Jul 2005, 08:16 (Ref:1364404)   #5
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great! I always thought the catch fencing was for the cars,where loose wheels & wings can certainly do damage.Bikes race happily in IOM without any fencing or run offs. Given a permanent circuit they need acres of grass to slide off on their bums,and now catch fencing,rendering it useless for spectators.
There is now a serious case for separate venues for cars and bikes?
Old 27 Jul 2005, 09:01 (Ref:1364435)   #6
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
Um IOM gets a number of fatalities each year so I don't know that it's a shining example of how to do things safely.

I don't think separate venues are needed for cars and bikes. The bottom line is that the increase in fencing, rather like the increase in insurance prices is simply a sign of the times. People are inclined to sue for the least little thing and circuits have to protect themselves as much as possible from liability.