Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 2 Aug 2005, 21:46 (Ref:1370581)   #1
stevebrown
Racer

England
The Port of Indecision, SW of Disorder
stevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Snetterton BTCC anyone?

Noticed there were two threads for Knockhill but nothing for Snet. So Who's going? I'll be there marshalling on Sunday only. (Other commitments have ruled Saturday out).

Steve B
Old 3 Aug 2005, 19:01 (Ref:1371318)   #2
PapaJuliet
Racer

England
Midlands
PapaJuliet has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I'll be there both days marshalling. Its my first visit to Snet as a marshal and I'm planning to camp (trying to save money because my new car is drinking me out of house and petrol station) (but I love her).

Does anybody know the arrangements for camping? Will I be able to get in on Friday afternoon / evening? Should I have a pass? Is it really such a good idea?

PJ
Old 3 Aug 2005, 20:12 (Ref:1371382)   #3
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Gaz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gunna give this one a miss, Snetterton's a dump and has no real areas that offer a good view of a large proportion of the track.

The only decent viewing spot is at Russell and to be honest it is probably the place were the least action happens on the whole circuit.

The Esses probably the best spot but the problem is you can't see them coming up the Revett straight so you don't get a real feel for the action.

Think I'm gunna go to Peterborough and cheer the boys on instead, watch the racing on TV and save my pennies for Knockhill!
Old 4 Aug 2005, 00:09 (Ref:1371541)   #4
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Also giving it a miss, as I'm at Lydden. Snetterton is closer, but I spend enough time there as it is, and don't want to shell out th 25 quid or so for the BTCC...
Old 4 Aug 2005, 00:18 (Ref:1371546)   #5
PapaJuliet
Racer

England
Midlands
PapaJuliet has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz
Think I'm gunna go to Peterborough and cheer the boys on instead, watch the racing on TV and save my pennies for Knockhill!
Is it actually being shown on ITV? I couldn't see it in the listings

PJ
Old 4 Aug 2005, 01:44 (Ref:1371560)   #6
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Not sure if its on ITV but I've got Motors here anyway so can sit infront of the box with a pint in my hand and my feet up! DTM and Renault World Series on as well just for good measure!
Old 4 Aug 2005, 13:43 (Ref:1371951)   #7
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
gaz, stop talking arse! if you go over to the esses and stand in the right place you can see a bit of the big straight, the whole of the esses, the bomb hole, and round that corner and into russell...
Old 4 Aug 2005, 15:12 (Ref:1372020)   #8
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There's actually some good viewing potential at Snetterton, if you know where to look. Everyone seems to congregate at Russell on the inside, but there's much better...
Old 4 Aug 2005, 15:32 (Ref:1372028)   #9
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella
gaz, stop talking arse! if you go over to the esses and stand in the right place you can see a bit of the big straight, the whole of the esses, the bomb hole, and round that corner and into russell...
What? Since when have you been able to see the Esses and the Revett straight from the inside of the Esses?

Never been on the outside but it aint half a treck around there and its very much out of the way with there being no traffic crossings or bridges.

I don't see were the good spots are - First corner - you can't see the startline and as soon as more than 20 people are stood there it becomes a nightmare seeing over everyones head!

Sear - You can't get anywhere near (well you couldnt last year!)

Esses - Best spot but you can't get a good idea of the action as any overtaking moves have normally begun by the time the cars enter you site.

Russell - As I've said on a big meeting like the BTCC there's no way you can see more than Coram and Russell and I don't see how you'd ever be able to see the Esses anyway from there due to the banking.

As I say never been on the outside, could imagine it might not be a bad spot but then your miles away from sanity!

Snetterton's just not a nice venue to spectate at, although everything is quite close together and the cafe and bar are good spots for when the Porsche race is on!

From a photographers point of view, Russell is excellent as you can get real close to the action...but as I say its not usually the scene of much on BTCC weekend anyway.

Save your money, go to Knockhill, whatever you make of the facilities, the action and viewing is always top notch!
Old 4 Aug 2005, 15:35 (Ref:1372030)   #10
Claire
Veteran

England
Just outside Cambridge
Claire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will be there as a spectator rather than a marshal this weekend. I have managed to get my best mate to come with me so she can try and understand what it is that keeps me so busy every weekend.

There are some great viewing spots at Snetterton and it's far from being a dump.

I will be taking photos at Russell, inside and outside of the Esses, inside of Riches and along the Revett straight. Plus anywhere else I think I can get them in focus!!

Papa Juliet not sure about camping but there is testing there tomorrow so I'm sure you will be able to get in.
Old 4 Aug 2005, 18:27 (Ref:1372195)   #11
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'll be there as every, in my little tent, i'm just going to get myself packed up as I am driving down tomorrow afternoon.
Old 4 Aug 2005, 18:48 (Ref:1372214)   #12
stevebrown
Racer

England
stevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Blimey I only posted to see who's going, instead I get someone trying to turn it into a Snet bashing thread. I mean name me any two mile circuit where you can see most of the track. It's a great circuit. Have you ever tried standing on the outside at the second part of the Esses just before the Bombhole; you can see down the straight. But I forgot there is no way of crossing to the outside. What is that blooming great bridge for? As for no action I think the Esses is one of the best spots. There is more overtaking there than in a F1 race. And watching drivers trying to find the perfect racing line can be fun.

PJ
I hope Gaz hasn't put you off. There should be an area of the infield behind Tyrrells for marshals. I don't think you need a camping pass as your ticket covers the whole weekend and you should be able to get on Friday. Camping is ok. There are showers in the paddock and you should be able to use these. Standpipes are near Tyrrells, so not too far to walk for water. Bar open in the evening. Anyway you should be made welcome, Snet marshals are a good bunch. Hope you enjoy the weekend and have a safe one.

Steve B
Old 4 Aug 2005, 19:49 (Ref:1372274)   #13
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Erm, yes I have and you still can't see much of the straight. There's better facilities at a go-kart track!

Its a right treck around over that bridge and half the time the PA aint working over there...as I say save your money and go to Knockhill instead.

In my opinion Croft and Snett are the two worst viewing circuits in the country, but I suppose I'm not aloud to criticise anywhere and have a point of view thats slightly different am i!
Old 4 Aug 2005, 21:09 (Ref:1372325)   #14
stevebrown
Racer

England
Well yes you are allowed to have an opinion and you may have some valid points but I just wanted to know who was going, not have the thread used to criticise my local circuit. Snetterton is NOT a go kart track.

Yes you may get better viewing at Knockhill, Lydden or Brands Indy but they are only a mile long. Just how are you going to get good viewing on a two mile track? Only Goodwood comes to mind. MSV have started to make improvements and who knows, spectating at Sear may become a reality. There has been talk of it. And the PA does work.

I've been to Croft and I found there were some good viewing points especially on the bank round the twisty bits. Better than Oulton (your local track)? Mind you I was at Shell and you can't see much from there. There are good and bad points about every circuit I just don't see why you have such a bad opinion of Snetterton and Croft.

Steve B
Old 4 Aug 2005, 21:47 (Ref:1372355)   #15
Peter Harding
Veteran

England
Colchester
Peter Harding should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am a regular at Snet and have to admit that small circuits in holes (Brands Lydden Mallory) make for better viewing than old airfields like Snet and Silverstone, but their are still some good places at Snet to watch.

I am not camping this time but many marshals will and, as said, we normally take over the bit behind (and slightly left of) Tyrrells.

See you all there. I'm the old bald guy thats always smiling.
Old 4 Aug 2005, 21:54 (Ref:1372360)   #16
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't understand the concept of complaining that a particular point of a circuit is a bit of a trek. Many people actually trek all the way round some circuits, as far as is possible, to see each race from a different perspective. By reckoning, a walk from one end of Snetterton to the other wouldn't take more than 20 minutes, so hardly an expedition.

Agreed, you can't see as much at Snetterton as you can elsewhere, but it isn't really any worse than Silverstone or Oulton (for which the best viewing spot is a considerable walk from the paddock)
Old 5 Aug 2005, 00:15 (Ref:1372445)   #17
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
Maybe a bit longer than that Ian... from Riches round to the bridge is quite a trek.
Old 5 Aug 2005, 07:50 (Ref:1372606)   #18
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Thank you Mike!

It is a treck, but it's also the fact that your well out of the way of sanity around there! I like to flick between viewing and the paddock but thats pretty impossible if your round there as there's no track crossing.

I agree if they opened up the outside of Sear then that might be a good spot as you'd be able to see Riches, Sear and much of the Revett Straight and to be honest on the whole this is were the action will be over the weekend. Its the same with Croft as we discussed in an earlier thread, they like Snett do not have close viewing to the main action point on the circuit which is Tower. There are places you can see Tower but nowhere, where you can really get close to the action.

Agreed, small one mile, up and down dale circuits are fundamentally the best so in a way your agreeing with me! Castle Combe's pretty flat though and that offers superb viewing.

Can't see how you say Oulton's a poor viewing circuit, get yourself in the field on the outside of Old Hall and you can see Old Hall, Cascades and Knickerbrook....for me opening that field up has now provided one of the best spectating spots in the country!
Old 5 Aug 2005, 08:06 (Ref:1372613)   #19
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz
Thank you Mike!

I agree if they opened up the outside of Sear then that might be a good spot as you'd be able to see Riches, Sear and much of the Revett Straight and to be honest on the whole this is were the action will be over the weekend.
Those going to Snett, I'm not... keep an eye out for the new spectator banking being built along the whole of the back straight from the vehicle bridge to Sear on the outside. Doubt if it will be ready this weekend but it will eventually allow viewing at the exit of Sear for the first time ever. The high bank is also there to stop the people at the market being able to watch the cars down this straight for free and keep some of the noise in I guess! Snett is being smartened up very nicely. The paddock has loads of new tarmac, new scrutineering bay, new lawn outside Tyrrells etc. JP is doing a great job. Now..about those grandstands..
Old 5 Aug 2005, 08:42 (Ref:1372645)   #20
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz
Can't see how you say Oulton's a poor viewing circuit, get yourself in the field on the outside of Old Hall and you can see Old Hall, Cascades and Knickerbrook....for me opening that field up has now provided one of the best spectating spots in the country!
I did add a rider in brackets. Actually I find Hill Top a much more useful place to be, as you can see bits that the commentators can't which means you have more chance of figuring out what happens where.
Old 5 Aug 2005, 08:47 (Ref:1372649)   #21
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sowman
I did add a rider in brackets. Actually I find Hill Top a much more useful place to be, as you can see bits that the commentators can't which means you have more chance of figuring out what happens where.
Oulton is great for viewing as Brands GP is. Move around and watch each race from a different viewpoint, adds variety to your photos. Cadwell is best though.
Old 5 Aug 2005, 08:50 (Ref:1372654)   #22
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Again, great if you are spectating but less good if you are reporting and need to follow the race and therefore see as much track as possible...
Old 5 Aug 2005, 08:51 (Ref:1372656)   #23
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sowman
Again, great if you are spectating but less good if you are reporting and need to follow the race and therefore see as much track as possible...
Fair point Ian.
Old 5 Aug 2005, 13:00 (Ref:1372875)   #24
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kitson
Now..about those grandstands..
There is some actually, well, not exactly "grand", but there are some small stands just before Russell.
Old 5 Aug 2005, 13:04 (Ref:1372877)   #25
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Would they be the articulated lorry 'grandstands' then Mike? The type that unfold from the trailer? They are usually at the BTCC Snett, for corporate guests.