Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 8 Aug 2005, 16:48 (Ref:1375118)   #1
Mathias
Veteran

England
Buckinghamshire: home of the British GP!
Mathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Silverstone LMES/F3/GT etc 12-14 August

Any takers for the "530km du Buckinghamshire et 470km du Northamptonshire" as we're calling it at dotdotdotcomma?*

We should be there on Saturday and Sunday, so if you see a couple of fat blokes in matching "Flying Scotsman™" t-shirts, come and say hello.

* or we would be if we weren't *ahem* between hosts at the moment...,
Old 10 Aug 2005, 13:09 (Ref:1378953)   #2
Mathias
Veteran

England
Mathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah, it seems everyone who's going has already said so here: Silverstone LMES round thread in Sportscars forum

Apparently there'll be a ten-tenths moot at 2.30pm on the green bit inside Copse...,
Old 10 Aug 2005, 13:34 (Ref:1378981)   #3
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Gaz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I shall be there both days, looking forward to the sportscars especially...just to see if i can complete the challenge of staying awake throughout the whole 6 hours!
Old 10 Aug 2005, 15:50 (Ref:1379114)   #4
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i'm going, not seen british f3 for absolutely ages so rather looking forward to it.

i'm not even gonna attempt to pay attention to the lmes race. too long, too noisy...
Old 10 Aug 2005, 18:09 (Ref:1379209)   #5
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'll be there Friday morning, leaving sometime late on Sunday afternoon.
Old 10 Aug 2005, 18:37 (Ref:1379238)   #6
924nut
Racer

924nut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella
i'm going, not seen british f3 for absolutely ages so rather looking forward to it.

i'm not even gonna attempt to pay attention to the lmes race. too long, too noisy...
Too Noisy !!! there is nothing better than the roar of 50 bellowing sports cars thundering around a circuit - No offence meant but I know where I will be when the F3 race is on - In the paddock looking at the real cars
Old 10 Aug 2005, 19:10 (Ref:1379264)   #7
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You meean there are 6 hour races again? Races where strategy, reliability, and team work count towards the end result?

Nah, not in this short term goldfish memory existence surely?
Old 10 Aug 2005, 22:21 (Ref:1379459)   #8
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
now look here. some people prefer their races to be competitive, others prefer it to be about strategy and overtaking in the pitlane (thats what strategy means doesn't it?).

i've *tried* to watch the lmes a couple of times, but it's a pain in the arse to track unless you're an anorack who knows everything, and you do just as well to watch the first 10 minutes, bog off for a couple of pints, and then watch the last few laps...
Old 10 Aug 2005, 23:11 (Ref:1379480)   #9
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Endurance junkie, I'm afraid, as long as they're proper sports cars. The second race I ever attended was a Group C 1000kms at Silverstone and I've been hooked ever since.

There's a thread on this in the Sportscar forum, BTW.
Old 10 Aug 2005, 23:20 (Ref:1379485)   #10
924nut
Racer

No strategy is not just about the pitlane - that is F1 and we all know how boring that becomes - Endurance racing is about high speed consistant smooth driving to get the best out of the car - eeking the best fuel economy/speed compromise without wrecking the machine, Its a big team effort. And as for not knowing what is going on - the circuit radio will keep you well informed. And what is even better is the variety of machines out there.
having said that there is potentially an equally good event on the programme if they get a good line up of cars and are willing to push them - CER - Classic Endurance Race - now come on you have to admit there is nothing like a Porsche 917 - how can you compare an F3 to one of the legends of race cars

But no offence meant - each to their own
Lets just enjoy the weekend
Old 11 Aug 2005, 04:22 (Ref:1379558)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Funnily enough I was thinking back to the 6hrs at Brands in IIRC 1981 when Bell and Stuck were leading and Hans had to hold the door down for the last ten laps because the lock broke. Having driven Brands I can tell you that was no mean feat. Anyway I digress.

However F3 is competitive these days? Have they taken the restrictors off the engines?
Old 11 Aug 2005, 12:08 (Ref:1379785)   #12
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Notably drifting off topic here guys - although discussion of the pros to endurance raising does has its merits, this thread is about who's going to Silverstone this weekend
Old 11 Aug 2005, 12:11 (Ref:1379790)   #13
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Oops. My apologies.

Oh BTW. I won't be going.
Old 11 Aug 2005, 12:13 (Ref:1379792)   #14
Upside Down Bug
Veteran

England
Kent
Upside Down Bug should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I'll be there for all three days. Looking forward to seeing the cars as I spent most of Le Mans, either drunk or in a bar getting drunk. And although the GTs were interesting in May, it will be better having sportscars back on the GP circuit and racing into the dark. Excellent!!!
Old 11 Aug 2005, 15:26 (Ref:1379954)   #15
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
actually, i might pop along after dinner on saturday to see the night driving bit if time allows. are they planning any special evening activities like last year?
Old 11 Aug 2005, 15:33 (Ref:1379960)   #16
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Can't make it as work kindly say I have to work Saturday grr
Old 11 Aug 2005, 16:45 (Ref:1379994)   #17
Mathias
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella
actually, i might pop along after dinner on saturday to see the night driving bit if time allows. are they planning any special evening activities like last year?
Yes, apparently there's some sportscar race or other going on then...

As to night driving, best estimates are that the race will be a bit over 5 hours long, so it should finish about 9:30. Sun sets at 20:37 in London tomorrow, so it's not exactly going to be dark! Still, I've always thought of you more as a dusky person...,
Old 11 Aug 2005, 17:41 (Ref:1380022)   #18
924nut
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asp
Notably drifting off topic here guys - although discussion of the pros to endurance raising does has its merits, this thread is about who's going to Silverstone this weekend
Sorry Asp
yes I am going will be there friday and Saturday