Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 6 Jun 2014, 19:55 (Ref:3416332)   #26
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
I have never understood this obsession some people seem to have with attempting to save motorbike road racers from themselves.
You don't have to understand everything but as a humane society there are certain things we don't tolerate to 'save people from themselves'. Jackie Stewart did a great deal in this area during the 1970s - including junking circuits because they were too dangerous - and motor sport is better as a result.
Old 6 Jun 2014, 21:12 (Ref:3416361)   #27
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Authoritarian bullshit. My idea of a humane society is one where I have the freedom to do what I like as long as it isn't harming others.

It would be illogical to stop the TT without looking at every other road race. If anything the NW200 is more dangerous. So do you suggest we ban motorbike road racing altogether?

I only hope the nannies stay away from the TT long enough for us to see whether Michael can catch his dad's win record.

And of course that William mends quickly.
Old 6 Jun 2014, 22:05 (Ref:3416377)   #28
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A friend shared this link. Let's call it a few words for those who presume to know best.

http://dazooracing.wordpress.com/201...-is-dangerous/
Old 6 Jun 2014, 22:52 (Ref:3416386)   #29
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Michael Dunlop too good again in the Senior TT.
Poor old Guy Martin looks forever destined to be a bridesmaid.
I'm not really a motorcycle fan,but I love watching this event every year,its the greatest motorsport event in the world.
The onboard camera vision its fantastic,certainally makes F1 look dull.
Old 6 Jun 2014, 23:53 (Ref:3416393)   #30
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
A friend shared this link. Let's call it a few words for those who presume to know best.

http://dazooracing.wordpress.com/201...-is-dangerous/
thank you Garcon, and for your two previous posts. FWIW I completely agree; after 'dealing' with the TT it'll be closing the 'Ring next - then what? Base-jumping? Wing-flying? Free climbing? Horse-riding?
Old 7 Jun 2014, 10:13 (Ref:3416506)   #31
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Thats good to hear - I wonder what exactly is being done? Apart from changing regulations to make the sidecars faster of course.
Certain corners have been changed over the years (Brandish and Quarry Bends for instance); and the positioning of barriers is reviewed every year following comments from marshals.
Medical facilities are constantly being improved for those riders who are injured.
And the handling of incidents is now well practiced and drilled - see how Grant Wagstaff's pitlane fire was dealt with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
Maybe I should have been clearer and qualified what I posted by saying that nothing whatsoever has been done to lower the risk of death or serious injury. It's impossible to disagree with that because people are still dying in unacceptable numbers every year there.
Quote:
Even though the current death rate would be totally unacceptable in any other form of motor sport, because it's ones and twos being bumped off at a time, it hides below the radar.
I previously mentioned that one reason why the TT is a perceived bigger risk is because all the racing is concentrated over a fortnight. According to Wikipedia (granted, not the best source), there were two fatalities in UK short circuit racing last year. This past week there have been over 1250 racing miles (multiplied by each competitor and not including practice laps).
By davyboy's token, unacceptable numbers die every year in all motorsport - but I'm sure no-one in this forum will want to ban all motorsport!
Of course, even a single death is unacceptable, wherever or however it happens - but that's why people constantly seek to improve safety and always will do so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Wonder if it might be worth looking at reducing the power of the bigger bikes at the TT? Cant be hurt to run them on a restrictor?

Let's face it, a Superstock bike can lap maybe only 3 or 4 mph slower than a Superbike! And Supersport machines not far off those either.
This is something I do actually agree with. Bruce Anstey set a new lap record last Saturday at over 132mph average speed. When the 100mph lap was first set, people wondered if things were getting too fast. Inevitably, everything will get faster and faster - but efforts to slightly reduce the speed won't harm the quality of the racing.
Old 7 Jun 2014, 11:04 (Ref:3416526)   #32
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
The biggest practical problem I can see with any attempt to limit the bikes' performance is the Superstock class. These are production bikes you or I could go to our road bike dealer and buy, and yet they're only 2mph slower round the course than the outright record.

The other issue is that slower isn't necessarily safer. Limit the performance of the big bikes and the riders will take more risks. It really doesn't matter whether you come off at 132mph or 122mph - if you hit a wall or a tree the result will be the same.
Old 11 Jun 2014, 09:08 (Ref:3418469)   #33
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Authoritarian bullshit. My idea of a humane society is one where I have the freedom to do what I like as long as it isn't harming others.

It would be illogical to stop the TT without looking at every other road race. If anything the NW200 is more dangerous. So do you suggest we ban motorbike road racing altogether?

I only hope the nannies stay away from the TT long enough for us to see whether Michael can catch his dad's win record.
This is typical of the over-the top defensive attitude that people seem to have about the TT and road racing. Not one person on this thread has suggested the TT or road racing be banned. People are, on the whole, wondering about how safety can be improved. If that counts as "Authoritarian bullshit" in your world then so be it
Old 11 Jun 2014, 11:34 (Ref:3418511)   #34
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Isle of Man TT 2014

The 'authoritarian bullshit' I was referring to was the assertion that the riders "need protecting from themselves" and the frankly bizarre reference to what a 'humane society' should 'tolerate'. And there was certainly the implication that the TT should end as "nothing is being done to improve safety".

As already discussed that last statement is simply factually wrong.

My position is simple. Let them race! But in so doing, let's ensure we continue to do everything we can to keep improving safety and medical provision wherever we can.

The TT will only survive if the organisers continue to keep safety at the top if the agenda and are willing to consider all the options. In fact just as they do now.

Last edited by garcon; 11 Jun 2014 at 11:53.
Old 11 Jun 2014, 12:58 (Ref:3418547)   #35
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
P.S. I wonder how many times we can say "bullshit" before a more grown up admin adds it to the auto censor list?
Old 11 Jun 2014, 14:33 (Ref:3418609)   #36
EGG
Racer

Australia
perth, aus
EGG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Great sidecar races.

Anyone else catch Ian Hutchinson's excursion through the woods/town after supersport race 2?

Commentary team did an excellent job, and Steve Parrish seemed much more at ease than when commentating the motogp, although that might be a result of him being paired with someone rather shouty (I think.. can't remember) there usually.
Old 11 Jun 2014, 15:03 (Ref:3418635)   #37
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
The 'authoritarian bullshit' I was referring to was the assertion that the riders "need protecting from themselves" and the frankly bizarre reference to what a 'humane society' should 'tolerate'. And there was certainly the implication that the TT should end as "nothing is being done to improve safety".

As already discussed that last statement is simply factually wrong.
Behave yourself.
Old 11 Jun 2014, 18:15 (Ref:3418828)   #38
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Quote:
Behave yourself.
I do try to.
Old 12 Jun 2014, 04:18 (Ref:3419040)   #39
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Great sidecar races.
Sidecar racing was great,I think the onboard coverage from the bikes is making the race a much better spectacle to watch.Its fantantastic watching them zip through the towns and past the trees,makes F1 look dead dull.
Old 12 Jun 2014, 07:57 (Ref:3419095)   #40
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Those last couple of laps in Montreal where quite exciting

Quote:
P.S. I wonder how many times we can say "bullshit" before a more grown up admin adds it to the auto censor list?
I am grown up, a mod, but wouldn't have a clue how too censor naughty words
We are pretty good around the biker forum with our language, so we can let this one go through to the keeper - unless some other mod does something about it