Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Feb 2017, 18:17 (Ref:3715164)   #1
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Barcelona testing

Its early but...

Mercedes fastest on the softs. Ferrari on the mediums. Many laps put in. So far so good for these two.

Macaroons barely got a lap in before the Honda gave out. Red Bull managed 4. Ugly...

Williams solid with Massa - a good number of laps and a decent time.

Already Hammy is below his pole time of 2016. The cars are ugly, but fast.
Old 27 Feb 2017, 18:47 (Ref:3715175)   #2
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
1st day times and laps completed on Autosport website, among others...

https://www.autosport.com/news/repor...t-for-mercedes

Would it be OK for an F1 forum moderator to lose an 'L' out of the thread title, please?
Old 27 Feb 2017, 18:49 (Ref:3715176)   #3
Neppatsrev Xam
Racer

Netherlands
Neppatsrev Xam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
Its early but...

Mercedes fastest on the softs. Ferrari on the mediums. Many laps put in. So far so good for these two.

Macaroons barely got a lap in before the Honda gave out. Red Bull managed 4. Ugly...

Williams solid with Massa - a good number of laps and a decent time.

Already Hammy is below his pole time of 2016. The cars are ugly, but fast.
Red Bull did 4 in the morning, but 50 in total

1. L. Hamilton Mercedes Grand Prix 01:21.765 73
2. S. Vettel Ferrari 01:21.878 126
3. F. Massa Williams 01:22.076 103
4. K. Magnussen Haas 01:22.894 51
5. D. Ricciardo Red Bull 01:22.926 50
6. V. Bottas Mercedes Grand Prix 01:23.169 79
7. S. Perez Force India F1 01:23.709 39
8. C. Sainz Jr. Scuderia Toro Rosso 01:24.494 51
9. N. Hulkenberg Renault 01:24.784 57
10. F. Alonso McLaren 01:24.852 29
11. M. Ericsson Sauber 01:26.841 72
Old 27 Feb 2017, 19:05 (Ref:3715179)   #4
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
early days indeed, but it gives me some measure of hope to see SV on the mediums so very close to LH's best lap on the softs and also to see Massa right up there too in terms of time and laps completed.

but no doubt by weeks end the Mercs will have crushed that hope!

whats the schedule of drivers? looking forward to seeing what kind of day Stroll can put in.
Old 27 Feb 2017, 19:13 (Ref:3715182)   #5
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Oops. Sorry about the typo in the thread title.

Chilli - Lance gets the Williams tomorrow.
Old 27 Feb 2017, 19:58 (Ref:3715188)   #6
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
thanks been a while since we have seen a Canadian on the grid.

found a full list for the week.

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/vi...the_four_days/

interesting to see that Merc plans on having both drivers drive each day (AM/PM rotation)...i feel like thats a bit unusual.
Old 27 Feb 2017, 20:07 (Ref:3715189)   #7
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
thanks been a while since we have seen a Canadian on the grid.

found a full list for the week.

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/vi...the_four_days/

interesting to see that Merc plans on having both drivers drive each day (AM/PM rotation)...i feel like thats a bit unusual.
Yes for sure! It will be interesting to see what he can do. His dad certainly invested a lot in his career.

Regarding the merc drivers both driving on the same day, and even alternating who goes first each day... Maybe they are going out of their way to appear as if they are not favouring either.
Old 27 Feb 2017, 20:08 (Ref:3715190)   #8
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
This was introduced by the team last year because Hamilton was not capable of completing a whole day's testing, so they had to get Rosberg in particular to do extra stints. Amazing that Rosberg was able to complete one and a half straight days testing on one occasion, but Hamilton struggled to just complete the other half day without whinging.

I think that it's because he can't bear to be apart from his two pooches for that long. They are the only ones that understand him fully, and can give him all the love that he craves.
Old 27 Feb 2017, 20:15 (Ref:3715195)   #9
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada

the relationship between a man and his dog is a pretty important one...maybe LH will write a country song about his.
Old 27 Feb 2017, 20:22 (Ref:3715197)   #10
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
Regarding the merc drivers both driving on the same day, and even alternating who goes first each day... Maybe they are going out of their way to appear as if they are not favouring either.
Mike does make a fair point about LH's commitment to testing (or lack thereof) but i was thinking it had either more to do with driver equality as you say or an uncertainty about how their drivers fitness would be affected by the faster cars (which i suppose could also be related to where LH and Bottas are in their training/fitness...but thats just speculation on my part).
Old 27 Feb 2017, 20:55 (Ref:3715200)   #11
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As long as they don't share Bottas data from the afternoon with him.
Old 27 Feb 2017, 21:27 (Ref:3715206)   #12
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I think Lewis like Kimi is just more interested in racing, can't blame them really you know they both get a feel for the car very quickly ...
Old 27 Feb 2017, 21:48 (Ref:3715210)   #13
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
When was the last time every team turned up on day one of testing ready to go?
I understand that with the major changes it is important to get miles but on past occasions big changes have been used as an excuse for not being ready.
Don't know why the complaints about looks. I reckon they are going to be a couple of seconds a lap more beautiful by season start.
Old 28 Feb 2017, 10:12 (Ref:3715280)   #14
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
If Mercedes turn the wick up I reckon we can see LH into the 1m 19's..or maybe a high 18, if they decide to show their hand...
Old 28 Feb 2017, 10:19 (Ref:3715281)   #15
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Lap record is 1:21.670. Set in '09 by Raikkonen. We can safely say that will be broken today during day 2.

edit: Hamilton is almost there. 1:21.766!
Old 28 Feb 2017, 10:36 (Ref:3715287)   #16
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
That "TT" wing the Mercedes is running sure looks out of place. 2017 cars are stating to look more odd by the day.
Old 28 Feb 2017, 10:58 (Ref:3715292)   #17
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
That "TT" wing the Mercedes is running sure looks out of place. 2017 cars are stating to look more odd by the day.
Yep, best description of these I have read so far as being taken from the top of an old tram......
Old 28 Feb 2017, 11:43 (Ref:3715296)   #18
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Here we go again:

22:26 Our rough calculations suggest that if Hamilton had matched his previous best through sector three on that first quick attempt, he would have done a 1m21.2s.

22:26 Another purple time through sector one for the Briton, a bit more like it that time as he ends up two tenths shy of his best.

22:23 Hamilton teased us there with two purple sectors, but he drops over four seconds in the final sector. http://www.autosport.com/live/commen...1-test-day-two

Raikkonen 32nd fastest with 1:22.831 or 1.631 secs off Merc pace. Hopefully all in tyres, Soft v Medium ?

Last edited by wnut; 28 Feb 2017 at 11:48.
Old 28 Feb 2017, 12:01 (Ref:3715298)   #19
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Really hope Honda get on top of everything quickly. Running around in safe mode / breaking down on both days is a little bit concerning...
Old 28 Feb 2017, 12:33 (Ref:3715301)   #20
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider View Post
Really hope Honda get on top of everything quickly. Running around in safe mode / breaking down on both days is a little bit concerning...
Some chatter on social media saying that problem may require a redesign of the oil tank and a possible knock on effect of that on other parts of the car - speculation, but who knows - one thing is for sure, Mercedes it isn't.
Old 28 Feb 2017, 12:40 (Ref:3715303)   #21
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Williams won't run again today. I expected $troll to provide lots of work for the team in terms of parts but not this soon.
Old 28 Feb 2017, 13:36 (Ref:3715308)   #22
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I keep glancing the (non) action at Barcelona and have an overwhelming vision in my head of Ron Dennis smiling whilst he pushes pins into a model of the new McLaren...
Old 28 Feb 2017, 14:15 (Ref:3715311)   #23
David A Scott
Rookie

Canada
Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
David A Scott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
$troll
Old 28 Feb 2017, 15:46 (Ref:3715326)   #24
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
yeah not a great first outing for Stroll but at the same time it seemed like a fairly ordinary, if not minor, type of off.

so for me its a bit surprising that the damage was such that Williams had to suspend running in order to send the composite parts back to their factory.

just speculating, but i wonder if they were surprised by the level of damage caused and/or needed to send the broken bits back to the factory for more extensive analysis...hoping its just precautionary.
Old 28 Feb 2017, 15:54 (Ref:3715329)   #25
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
yeah not a great first outing for Stroll but at the same time it seemed like a fairly ordinary, if not minor, type of off.

so for me its a bit surprising that the damage was such that Williams had to suspend running in order to send the composite parts back to their factory.

just speculating, but i wonder if they were surprised by the level of damage caused and/or needed to send the broken bits back to the factory for more extensive analysis...hoping its just precautionary.
They probably didn't have any spares - it could be something relatively minor that got broken but if they didn't have another one with them then it's game over until a new one is made and flown out. I guess at this stage if the season the parts are still some way away from what will be on the car at the first race so there isn't a stockpile of spares.

If you're testing wing 'a' and the designers are already working on wings 'b' and 'c' then if you break wing 'a' you probably don't have another one of those as you weren't planning on using it long term. So as soon as you break wing 'a' you either get the composite guys to knock up another and fly it out or push to get wing 'b' finished and fly that out.