Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 7 Feb 2003, 12:39 (Ref:499364)   #26
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Re: Bahrain GP goes down the plug hole.

Quote:
Originally posted by Armco Bender
"We don't have public gardens in Bahrain and the government wants to establish a racing circuit," he said.
So put a few tubs and window boxes along the pits.
Old 8 Feb 2003, 13:06 (Ref:500580)   #27
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Asp
They originally had government backing; they track was fully designed and looked pretty good weaving in-and-out of sand-dunes
I think I saw an ad for it in F1 magazine, it looked like a street circuit a bit like Monaco. Maybe they were going to just bring in loads of sand to put on the pavement or something?
Old 8 Feb 2003, 13:45 (Ref:500588)   #28
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Considering what the Nigerian Muslims did to their country and people over a mere Miss Universe contest, I can't imagine what would happen at an F1 race in the Middle East. Can you imagine Mullahs patrolling the pitlane and punishing the pit babes and the drivers' girlfriends for not being properly dressed?

I suspect a lot of the women they style "prostitutes" are average Western women dressed for the weather.

Formula One should try not to go into places that are very likely to attract terrorists and that put severe restrictions on visas.
Old 8 Feb 2003, 14:19 (Ref:500606)   #29
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Beitrut!

Quote:
Originally posted by nicholaswhite
I think I saw an ad for it in F1 magazine, it looked like a street circuit a bit like Monaco. Maybe they were going to just bring in loads of sand to put on the pavement or something?
I know exactly what you mean. That advert was for a proposed circuit in Beirut - when I first saw it I actually though it was the design for the new Monaco!

The image of it is from an advert in May 2002's edition on F1 Magazine (copyright dealt with! ) - has anyone heard anything at all about this as a further venue since then?
Attached Thumbnails
beirutgp.jpg  

Last edited by Asp; 8 Feb 2003 at 14:20.
Old 8 Feb 2003, 14:28 (Ref:500612)   #30
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Bahrain plan

Sorry about a double attachment, but I think it's necessary, and I have shrunk the picture to a better size.

This is the Bahrain circuit, image from December's F1 racing, taken from the official launch and the laying of the first stone back in October. That's why I said I thought it'd go ahead - work has begun on the track - only to be stopped, well, now!

Sorry - labels are too small, for the benefit of the spectacle-wearing - the pits will be "Oasis-esqe", the "cars 'vanish' into the dunes" and at the bottom is "currently a camel farm". Nice.
Attached Thumbnails
bahraingps.jpg  

Last edited by Asp; 8 Feb 2003 at 14:36.
Old 8 Feb 2003, 14:52 (Ref:500623)   #31
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm distraught at this tragic loss.
Old 8 Feb 2003, 20:12 (Ref:500818)   #32
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
This is the Bahrain circuit
Its one big sand trap

Beirut,that would be a good place for a race,are they still shooting at each other?

Rumour in Gulf News the Bahrain track may yet get its funding
Old 8 Feb 2003, 20:50 (Ref:500852)   #33
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I would be the last person to say that my own country's human rights record doesn't need to shape up - but I am really disturbed that "The Circus" has ever seriously considered Bahrain or China. Turning away from the knowledge that there are some egregious violations of basic human rights in a country just because they may be building a really cool track is way below acceptable. Some things should not be swept under the rug.

I apologize for the mini-rant!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 8 Feb 2003, 21:14 (Ref:500871)   #34
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnSSC
I apologize for the mini-rant!
not at all JOhn.......you make a very good point.

Last edited by Sato san; 8 Feb 2003 at 21:15.
Old 8 Feb 2003, 22:56 (Ref:500957)   #35
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Beitrut!

Thanks for the correction Asp, cleared up a few things there for me
Old 15 Feb 2003, 16:33 (Ref:507694)   #36
Bostik
Racer

Bostik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hate to disappoint some of you, but the Bahrain Racing Circuit is still underway. As was correctly reported, a couple of members of the Shura Council in Bahrain made a protest about funding of four projects, and the racing circuit was one of them. As I understand it, their problem was resolved last Monday, and the project continues as planned. Hope you noticed that Bahrain has a democratic system!
The people behind this project are genuinely interested in two things. Firstly, to showcase their beautiful and moderate country on the world stage via the global theatre that is F1 - and secondly, to invest in the infrastructure that is required to enable motorsport to flourish in the Gulf. There are 100 million people in the region living less than 2 hours away by plane. No reason why they shouldn't have access to good motorsport facilites - they are as interested and committed as you or I. The Circuit should be open around March 2004.
Old 15 Feb 2003, 16:50 (Ref:507705)   #37
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Drat, I'd hoped it was sunk.
Old 15 Feb 2003, 19:22 (Ref:507827)   #38
Armco Bender
Veteran

New Zealand
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
at the bottom is "currently a camel farm".
Save the Camels,Bahrain camels are an endangered species
Old 15 Feb 2003, 23:37 (Ref:508112)   #39
bcobbus
Racer

bcobbus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Being that some folks in the region are well, not to fond of Western influences, "ie they want to kill us!" I take the whole idea of having a Grand Prix there very negatively. Yes the people of Bahrain may be democratic and are fairly moderate in their beliefs, however with all the lunatics in the region bent on infliction horrible things on Westerners' "Infadels", all it takes is one nut case with a gun to create a tragedy on the track! Being that F1 is as much a social and status symbol as it is a sport, this would be a great big target for those who seek to do harm. F1 by its very nature represents all spoils and excess of Western Society, the very thing that many people in the world hate about the West.

As for China, I think that the only way to change China in this regard is to confront the problems that they have through mutual business. Here in the States we have had an embargo on Cuba for over forty years, and not one thing has really changed in our relations! So if you want the Chinese people to have better living conditions, let them be expossed to outside beliefs and means of enjoyment.
Old 16 Feb 2003, 11:01 (Ref:508419)   #40
Bostik
Racer

Let me offer you a different perspective from the one you may have from your vantage point in California. Don't know about you, but my humble opinions are based on having actually lived in the middle east for ten years.
The biggest problem I had when I left was deciding if I really wanted to bring my kids back to the 'real world' - where there are numerous murders on the streets, and where you have to lock your property all the time.
I'm sorry, but I find it a bit rich when a nation that has such a track record of gun enhancd social violence, attempts to make judgements on an area they can't find on a map!
Bahrain has had a motor club since 1950! Dubai has had organised motor sport since 1978. You will find in such a cosmopolitan society a really normal and healthy interest in motor sport. However, if you watch enough TV, and read enough tabloid newspapers, you could be tricked into thinking that the region is full of wicked people like Suddam Hussein. Not so! The vast majority of them are simply hard working, loving, family people like you and me -they dont want any part in all this political trickery and BS.
You said - "Being that some folks in the region are well, not to fond of Western influences, "ie they want to kill us!"
It's this type of 'western' paranoia that I find so scary.
Fact - there are 60,000 Brits living in Bahrain.
Question - do you think they feel safer walking on the streets in Bahrain at night than in any American city?
You work it out.
Old 18 Feb 2003, 04:04 (Ref:510182)   #41
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Bostik - this is waaaay off topic, but:
1) the US would be lots better off without the gun culture.
2) Don't generalize about the US - not everyone here expresses their feelings at the pint of a howitzer.
3) Don't confuse safe streets with "moderate." Saudi Arabia is considered "moderate" and how do they treat women for example? The Kuwaiti's?
4) Unlike many countries, in the US one can express their opinion and not be locked up for espousing an opposing viewpoint.
5) I am more than willing to learn more about a culture I do not know a lot about and to form an opinion (or change it) based on what I learn.

Harumph!

What kind of car club do they have in Bahrain?
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 18 Feb 2003, 07:19 (Ref:510258)   #42
Baritone24

Bring back Spa and Austria.and all will be forgoten!

Old 18 Feb 2003, 09:00 (Ref:510321)   #43
Bostik
Racer

In Bahrain, the local motor club currently operates karting, drag racing, autocross and rallying.
As you might expect, with a local Mojave Desert like terrain, the biggest formal sport is International Rallying. This is also the case in the United Arab Emirates, where there is a very active club in Dubai, and also in Qatar and in the Oman.

Dubai started rallying proper back in the early 80’s. Ex-World Rally Champion co-driver Dave Richards, now CEO of British American Racing’s Formula One team, BAR, (Jacques Villeneuve and Jenson Button), used to help reccie the course for the Dubai International Rally. Local ace, Mohammed Bin Sulayem, has won the Middle East Rally Championship 14 times since 1986.

The American Navy started the Bahrain Sandblasters motocross club in Bahrain in the early 70’s. The Dubai Dirt Donks, a Dubai based motocross club was started in 1978.

The American / English influence on this whole region is profound, and in the main, citizens of these nations are treated as guests. This is of course much less so in Saudi, but in the Gulf States of Bahrain, UAE, Qatar and Kuwait, this is definitely the case. Why do you think there are so many Western expats living there long term? These are extremely hospitable countries to live in (great weather, tax free, and all the motor sport you could possibly need!).

Most of the rulers of these countries were educated in the West, are very well travelled, and have a very balanced view of life – probably more so that many westerners. The very small minority of extreme religious fundamentalist activists are as much an annoyance to them as they are to us.

In my opinion, The Bahrain Government is being very courageous in building the Bahrain Racing Circuit. It will be a major milestone in the development of the motor sport infrastructure in the Gulf region, and I am sure will be successful. No doubt when billions of people watch the Bahrain Grand Prix next year on television, they might just start questioning the images that our over-empowered media industry likes to feed us.

These are the Gulf organisations that run motor sport in the Gulf countries:

http://www.qatarmotorfederation.com/

http://www.bahrainmotorfederation.com/

http://www.emsf.ae

http://www.fia.com/tourisme/infoclub/kiac.htm

http://www.geocities.com/sata_sa/

http://www.fia.com/tourisme/infoclub/oman.htm
Old 18 Feb 2003, 14:45 (Ref:510559)   #44
Bostik
Racer

Here's an update:

By TARIQ KHONJI, Gulf Daily News, 18th February, 2003

MANAMA, BAHRAIN:

Formula One racing is back on the starting grid in Bahrain, following an overwhelming vote of approval yesterday.

Shura Council members voted unanimously in favour of funding the $200 million (BD75.6m) Bahrain Racing Circuit, at their weekly session.

Parliament earlier rejected the funding, so now the two chambers must vote together in a full National Assembly meeting, for a final decision.

A date has yet to be set for the meeting, which would bring the 80 Shura and Parliament members together.

Bahrain worked hard to win the right to stage Formula One racing, Finance and National Economy Minister Abdulla Saif told Shura members.

"We faced stiff competition from other countries but we managed to win the project, which makes Bahrain an important regional centre in the motoring world," he said.

Mr Saif said that such projects are needed to keep Bahrain's economy growing steadily.

"Over the past few years economic growth has averaged four-and-a-half per cent annually," he said.

"This is a decent level of growth by most countries' standards but our aim is to reach five-and-a-half to six pc.

"In order to keep our economy growing and improve the standard of living of Bahrainis, we need major developmental projects."
Old 18 Feb 2003, 19:04 (Ref:510793)   #45
RussianFriend
Veteran

Russian Federation
Moscow, Russia
RussianFriend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bernie is not that stupid. I believe he considers demand on the tickets negotiating with Bahrain. I can't be sure but it seems Bahrain is not party paradise and there's not htat range of pleasures you can let yourself in Bahrain. So the new show should be in demand at least amoung 60 000 bored expats. Add some local fans and tourists - maybe they are able to sell enough tickets.

But how many tourist will go to Bahrain? If you can afford visiting all GPs you will choose the most close or the most exiting. I dreamed about Spa. I realy planned go to Austria this or next year. No intention to visit Bahrain, besides they hardly would give me visa just because I'm single and not very old.
Old 18 Feb 2003, 20:45 (Ref:510912)   #46
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I'm warming up to Bahrain a bit, but it's still in the middle of that hellhole of religious fundamentalism that is the middle east. Suicide bombers are almost an inevitability.

Beirut? I don't think F1 cars have the ground clearance to drive through giant craters in the track.

China? Engaging in trade is foolish for the west! It will cost all of us the last of our manufacturing jobs, and it will give military and economic strength to the Beijing regime, who wil NEVER, EVER turn over their power to the people! You can't deal with a government that runs over it's own people with tanks for dissenting! The leaders in Beijing are butchers and will never, ever change!!!

And for Spa to lose it's date for these hellholes is just unacceptable.
Old 18 Feb 2003, 20:48 (Ref:510917)   #47
Armco Bender
Veteran

New Zealand
What chance of a GP in Russia RussianFriend?.Is it safe enough to bring the circus there?.
Old 19 Feb 2003, 01:39 (Ref:511160)   #48
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Guys....i'm with Bostik, let's give Bahrain a chance and not to brush off a country just because it's situated in the middle east.

I beleive that although they may believe in a religion in which it is seen to be associated with violence and terrorism because of Osama and Saddam, it dosen't mean that all muslims chose the same path.

On the subject of 'proper dressing' should be required if Bahrain were to host a round, i believe that we should respect their values and tradition. It's not like it's going to choke anyone to death to dress in proper attire...
Old 19 Feb 2003, 01:53 (Ref:511169)   #49
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, Jukebox, this is why I'd love to see a rotating schedule... If it was just for one year ever 3, I wouldn't mind giving them a shot.
Old 19 Feb 2003, 02:42 (Ref:511193)   #50
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm with you Lee, it makes more sense to have it in every part of the world since it is a World Championship