Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

View Poll Results: Will Australian Motorsport Be Drastically Affected?
Yes 1 100.00%
No way. 0 0%
I don't really care I only follow the international stuff! 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11 Oct 2001, 16:30 (Ref:159153)   #1
Vandas
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Vandas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How will this affect?

With a large scale war threatening, the global markets in disarray, I can't help but wonder what the outcome will be for Australian Motorsport?

Everyday I read about another large comapny going to the wall, many of my friends and myself have been the victims of the impending recession. Turning up to work to find that there is no longer a company for us to work at.

Do you think we will see V8 Supercars disappear from our shores?

Do you think we will see a number of teams disappear off the map?

Let me know your thoughts,

thanks

Cameron
Old 11 Oct 2001, 22:00 (Ref:159376)   #2
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It'll hurt, but it wont kill it. Saying that, motorsport has got to help itself out a little bit.

CAMS shouldn't go out of their way to annoy the living **** out of everyone. Just look at the weights situation with Improved Production and Sports Sedans- an absolute disgrace. Then there is the Avgas debarcle....

Then there is the situation with race tracks....who knows at this stage what is going to happen to Lakeside, Calder is just about to be pushed over the side of a cliff, Tasmania doesn't have much going for it, event the Konica series wont visit there, and you keep hearing things about some other tracks around the place...

Drag racing is doing worse- they've only got two proper, decent 1/4 mile strips left....Nothing currently in NSW, Vic or SA!

Rallying has their farce going in NSW where they won't be allowed to hold events without having crash barriers either side of the road- what are the possible follow on effects from that?

But hey, speedway seems to be doing ok!
Old 11 Oct 2001, 23:22 (Ref:159429)   #3
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Crash Test
Rallying has their farce going in NSW where they won't be allowed to hold events without having crash barriers either side of the road- what are the possible follow on effects from that?
Do the barriers either side of the Freeways qualify - I can just see it now - The Sydney To Newcastle rally
Old 12 Oct 2001, 03:38 (Ref:159502)   #4
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Heheh....a real test of skill
Old 12 Oct 2001, 05:24 (Ref:159511)   #5
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm heading up the Newcastle freeway tonight to Toukley.

I wonder how fast a race car could get going up and down the Knapsac Bridge (is that what it's called ?).

I always shed a tear crossing that thing wishing I could stand on the accelerator and fully stretch the legs on the VX.
Old 13 Oct 2001, 16:31 (Ref:160142)   #6
Vandas
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Vandas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah the track situation is a bit of a worry.

In Victoria, Calder is about to go under, Sandown is about to face serious restrictions because of impending building developments that have already started lobbying council to stop racing there.

That leaves Winton, which is about 4 hours from where our factory is set-up. A distance that adds quite a bit to the race weekend budget. Accomodation, Fuel, Food, Drink, Wages etc.

And Phillip Island which is going great guns at the moment and looks like the only classy track left in Victoria.

I have heard rumours that PHR have bought a massive amount of land recently where they intend to develop a track. Don't know if they plan for it to be a test track or an actual Racing circuit.

I am noticing just how tough it is at the moment, as I work with a management and PR firm trying to set-up some sponsorship deals for myself.

I think that with the economic downturn we could see teams in the AVESCO circus disappearing and the broad appeal they have brought to the sport, dwindle and disappear.

thanks

Cameron
Old 13 Oct 2001, 21:13 (Ref:160223)   #7
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With the coverage we have I think we will be safe for the next couple of years anyway. As long as it stays on 10.
Old 13 Oct 2001, 23:43 (Ref:160279)   #8
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Sandown is about to face serious restrictions because of impending building developments that have already started lobbying council to stop racing there.
I cannot tell you how mad something like that makes me - those people knew that race track was there before they moved - F*ck'em.