Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 30 Apr 2002, 16:08 (Ref:274485)   #1
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Remember the Willhire 24 hr races?

Just thinking back to the old Willhire 24hr races at Snett.

I first went in 1981 (I think). My dad was invited by the local Vovo garage who entered a Volvo 240 GLT - which one of the driver's rolled in testing prior to the race!

I also remember John,Robin and Martin Brundle in a Toyota Celica, and Jonathan Palmer driving a Ford Capri.

There was also the late Syd Fox in an Opel Commodore and Pete Hall and Andy Rouse in an ICS Commodore.

I also remember a Skoda Rapide coupe, which went round and round like clockwork - I think they only cleaned the windscreen all race.

Skid Scarborough, David Oates, Gerry Marshall - Tony Lanfranchi in the 'Mayfair' VW Scirocco.

Any other memeory's of this great event?
Old 30 Apr 2002, 16:19 (Ref:274494)   #2
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I crewed a couple of these - one year we had white MGBGT V8 and I think another year we did in a Alfa GTV - and then it got serious so we moved to the Nurburgring for their 24 hours !
Old 1 May 2002, 07:56 (Ref:275135)   #3
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
there is some talk of possibly linking a historic long distance (possibly 6 hours) to the potential Wilhire revived meeting. It would be run in the same way as the European long distance historic meetings. So fingers crossed as there is certanily competitor demand for it as more drivers move torwards endurance races.
Old 1 May 2002, 08:00 (Ref:275139)   #4
Slowcoach
Racer

Slowcoach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last year in our Classic Thunder championship there was a Mitsubishi Starion Turbo running, I seem to remember the owner saying it was originally built for and run in the 1984 Willhire 24hr, can't remember who drove it then though.
Old 1 May 2002, 08:21 (Ref:275157)   #5
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
from the conversations I have had I think that migt be too late, as I understand that they were thinking more along the lines of 60's touring cars as they race in Europe, but it is always good to hear of cars being campaigned with continuous history!
Old 1 May 2002, 10:19 (Ref:275315)   #6
David McKinney
Veteran

David McKinney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Slowcoach
Last year in our Classic Thunder championship there was a Mitsubishi Starion Turbo running, I seem to remember the owner saying it was originally built for and run in the 1984 Willhire 24hr, can't remember who drove it then though.
I never got to a Willhire 24hrs, but Andy McLennan and Colin Blower were both successful with Starion Turbos in the 1985 Uniroyal production series. Perhaps the Thunder car was one of those?
Old 1 May 2002, 10:19 (Ref:275316)   #7
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think Colin Blower drove the Starion.

Anyone else remember the Mercedes 190E Cosworth?
Old 17 Sep 2002, 16:02 (Ref:382584)   #8
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At Cadwell last weekend I was beaten by the same Scirocco allegedly still racing ! Are the full results posted anywhere at all ?
Old 17 Sep 2002, 16:50 (Ref:382613)   #9
carrera
Veteran

England
Gatwick
carrera should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tim Dodwell's VW as used in the Road Saloons for so many years was indeed a Production Saloon in its early years.
Old 17 Sep 2002, 18:11 (Ref:382674)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Skid still races the very same Capri in the CTCRC Group 1 Championship.
Old 18 Sep 2002, 21:50 (Ref:383736)   #11
Snetman
Rookie

Snetman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My first meeting as a marshal was the 1987 race. I remember a Cosworth going off at Russell into the tyres on the Saturday evening.I helped to rebuild the tyre wall and was getting soaked from the water in the tyres. I thought what the dickens am I doing here? But by the end of an exhausting weekend I couldn't wait to get back to Snet.
Then there was the time when we came off post at 4am and chatted with David Sear. he was waiting to go out in Lionel Abbotts Saab. the poor bloke was absolutely shattered, having done Le Mans the weekend before. Then the news came through Abbott had stuffed the car at the Esses. The relief on Davids face...
I still have a video of the 25hr race held in 1989 to celebrate 25 years of the Willhire company.

Steve B
Old 5 Oct 2002, 17:12 (Ref:396413)   #12
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Super Tourer

Anyone else remember the Mercedes 190E Cosworth?
Ah, the Willhire! A great event and good crowds too.
Many local folk would pour in once the pubs had shut to have a look at night racing. The smell of the BBQs, the sun going down - not quite Le Mans but brilliant anyway.
The Merc was driven by the late Ian Taylor if I remember correctly.

Good to see that it may return.With the success of the 6hr race this year which is being increased to 10 for 2003, hopefully that will lead to the full 24 in 2004.