Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Dec 2002, 01:16 (Ref:452283)   #1
Vandas
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Vandas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aussies on the Rise!

Well with the news (as released in the single seater forum) that Will Davison has signed with Alan Docking Racing in 2003, how many Aussies are now in contention for an F1 seat:

- James Courtney (F3000 in 2003, maybe)
- Ryan Briscoe (Euro F3, deal with Toyota still on)
- Rob Nguyen (F3000 and now a number 1 team driver)
- Will Davison (British F3 with championship contender)
- Will Power (Has money but looking for seat in British F3)
- James Manderson (Current australian F3 champ, has offer for drive in Euro F3, but needs to find dollars)
- Peter Hackett (2001 Australian F3 champ, 7th at Macau GP in 2001.)

Not only this, but we have another 3 or 4 more drivers of the same calibre competing in the 2003 Australian FFord and F3 Championships.

Who shall springboard the pack and race in F1?

Cam
Old 18 Dec 2002, 02:56 (Ref:452302)   #2
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Hey!! you forgot Jack Brabham
Old 18 Dec 2002, 03:10 (Ref:452308)   #3
Vandas
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Vb,

Come on, Get Serious!

Think about what is happening here, some of brightest talent is mixing it with the world's best. This is what we have been waiting for!

Pity the Aussie dollar is so bad, or we could have more going over to the UK and Europe.

Cam
Old 18 Dec 2002, 03:35 (Ref:452323)   #4
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
OK, I was thinking, quite seriously, that guys like our former WDC's Jack Brabham and Alan Jones might be able to do a lot more in promoting these guys and securing sponsorship for them. Look at it this way : if we knocked on some rich guys door and they saw us, they'd slam the door as soon as they smelt donation or sponsorship. If these guys just lifted the telephone and called people like Murdoch or Packer, they are more likely to get listened to.
See!! I can get serious.
It's just so frustrating when I think that by and large, Aussis have never really had that much of a chance overseas, from as long ago as when Frank Matich was racing.

Now you got me started.

Last edited by Valve Bounce; 18 Dec 2002 at 03:38.
Old 18 Dec 2002, 04:00 (Ref:452330)   #5
GTV27
Veteran

GTV27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In per capita terms, Australia has probably done quite well on the international motorsport stage over the years. Can anybody suggest a similar size country that has had won four WDC's (six if you include NZ as the Eastern State)
Old 18 Dec 2002, 04:05 (Ref:452333)   #6
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I tend to agree with valvebounce, but consider that AJ tried something locally with AMSA as a springboard in FF which conceptually made sense, but practically was a failure....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 18 Dec 2002, 07:16 (Ref:452416)   #7
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GTV27
In per capita terms, Australia has probably done quite well on the international motorsport stage over the years. Can anybody suggest a similar size country that has had won four WDC's (six if you include NZ as the Eastern State)
Finland
Old 18 Dec 2002, 07:18 (Ref:452417)   #8
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by GTV27
Wait till our Kiwi frinds read this - they're going to be thrilled
Old 18 Dec 2002, 07:28 (Ref:452423)   #9
GTV27
Veteran

GTV27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dammitt Janet, I condidered Mika but forgot about Rosberg.

(slinks away in shame)
Old 18 Dec 2002, 07:41 (Ref:452431)   #10
alfasud
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
alfasud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by colinbond
Finland
True, 3 World Championships for a country of about 5 million beats most. To correct an earlier post, NZ have had only one WDC - Denny Hulme.
http://www.f1-grandprix.com/career_champs.html

We do have two drivers who have won F1 Gran Prix - Denny Hulme and Bruce McLaren (and Chris Amon who *should* have won them), but only one WDC.
http://www.f1-grandprix.com/wins.html

Eastern state.... thats funny, we call Aussie "West Island"

Last edited by alfasud; 18 Dec 2002 at 07:43.
Old 18 Dec 2002, 10:01 (Ref:452506)   #11
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I am particularly excited about Davison and Nguyen.

Also looking forward to how Briscoe goes for Prema this year.
Old 18 Dec 2002, 11:46 (Ref:452572)   #12
woodbine
Veteran

Australia
Peterborough
woodbine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about Scotland?
Old 18 Dec 2002, 12:55 (Ref:452615)   #13
frederick
Rookie

frederick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Talking about Aussies doing well in F1...though i'd mention a non-driver in Paul Stoddard,

A couple of days ago a Minardi chassis was wheeled off the ferry and installed in the local Car Museum for a short stay of a few weeks, not very remarkable really, until you realise that Launceston, Tasmania is about as far from anywhere on earth as you can get.

In fact, if you want to give the planet an enema....this is where you'd stick the nozzle!

it seems PS is prepared to go to great lengths to promote Minardi and F1, good on him!!
Old 18 Dec 2002, 22:11 (Ref:452969)   #14
Vandas
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Valve Bounce,

There is an organisation with a great deal of clout, out there working for the young drivers of Australia.

It doesn't get much play in the media, but continues to work behind the scenes always.

This organisation is the CAMS Foundation.

The CAMS Foundation has a separate board to the board of CAMS, and it comprises some of Australia's more influential businessmen.

There role is to receive proposals for funding from aspiring young drivers, already on the verge of an international career, and from grassroots motorsport organisations who are looking to develop their organisation and the sport also.

The CAMS Foundation is currently a backer of Will Davison, as well as about 9 or 10 motorsport organisations.

You can find their details on the CAMS Website, at the link for the CAMS Foundation.

Cam
Old 18 Dec 2002, 22:28 (Ref:452980)   #15
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Thanks Vandas. I was quite surprised to find the guys you mentioned in your lead post competing in International classes, because that's the only way. From the Channel 9 introductions to one of the F1 races last season, Alan Jones did express amazement at the ability of Rob Nguen who had up till then very little motor racing experience.
Old 18 Dec 2002, 22:38 (Ref:452990)   #16
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
it's not got rob very far though has it?

there really are some very good aussie drivers out there. much as it riles me to say so
Old 18 Dec 2002, 22:45 (Ref:452995)   #17
Vandas
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Oh yeah, and after recent conversations I can add another driver to that list:

- Marcus Marshall

Marcus is currently putting together a deal to run in the British FRenault series.

Have a guess what his nickname is: M&M !

What a shocker.

Cam
Old 18 Dec 2002, 22:46 (Ref:452996)   #18
Vandas
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
VB,

I didn't quite understand what you meant, when you were saying that you were suprised.

What is 'the only way'?

Sorry dude, I am a bit thick at the moment.

Cam
Old 18 Dec 2002, 22:47 (Ref:452998)   #19
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
marcus didn't impress in the winter series, but he was with a new team who were learning. not sure how much budget he's got to find though.
Old 18 Dec 2002, 22:50 (Ref:453003)   #20
Vandas
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
It is pretty crazy the costs involved in motorsport in England at the moment!

120 000 pounds for an FRenault drive is a bit out many people's leagues.

330 000 pounds for a top level F3 drive.

All stings!

Especially when you think about it in Australian Dollars.

Cam
Old 18 Dec 2002, 22:54 (Ref:453004)   #21
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
don't think he's got to find the full budget but i could be applying a rule that applies to one person to everyone?

i know you're incorrect about rob nguyen's f3000 drive. as far as i know he's out looking for one. shame cause he was quite good.
Old 18 Dec 2002, 23:23 (Ref:453033)   #22
Vandas
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
I got a release stating that Rob had resigned with the same team as last year.

It also stated that he was going to be in more of a leadership position now that he has some F3000 experience under his belt.

He certainly seems to have the dollars.

Cam
Old 18 Dec 2002, 23:25 (Ref:453034)   #23
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
at the beginning of december i'd heard that rob's contract had lapsed since he'd been unable to find the funds. could be wrong....
Old 18 Dec 2002, 23:35 (Ref:453044)   #24
Vandas
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
That is the exact same time that I heard that he had secured his drive.

I just went to the team's website, and it says nothing except it has signed Schmidt, and wants Jan to drive.

Maybe that means Rob is no longer even being considered.

What a shame, he did so well this year. Also because his rise was so meteoric it will be hard from him to maintain credability, he really needed just one more strong season in F3000.
Old 18 Dec 2002, 23:43 (Ref:453046)   #25
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
he could have done with doing british f3 or something like the rest of australia seems to do. i'm not sure another strong year in f3000 would have done the trick, unless he has some very good f1 contacts lined up ready.

(ps check your pm's)