Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 28 May 2012, 11:06 (Ref:3080475)   #1401
RogerH
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
RogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Media Release from MPS (seems to raise a few questions).

MotorSport Promotions Ltd
Proudly promoting MotorSport New Zealand’s Premier Race Championship Series
May 2012

Introduction
Following the recent Annual General Council Meeting, MotorSport New Zealand has confirmed a number of key changes to its management structure of the Premier New Zealand Race Championship Series.
This has been completed after lengthy and detailed research as to how and where motorsport in general including the prestigious New Zealand Race Championships will position itself for the future.
The new direction includes targeting new and existing audiences with quality entertainment both on and off the circuits with the implementation of extensive new advertising and promotional campaigns as well as other key innovative ideas.

MotorSport New Zealand Inc
Under the guidance of President Shayne Harris, MSNZ has developed new future plans as the sport continues to grow in both club member and competitor levels.
New Zealand motor racing is benefiting from year round exposure by way of media coverage of our nineteen young drivers competing successfully on a high profile global stage in the UK, Europe, USA, Asia and Australia.
MotorSport Promotions Ltd
The company is headed by Martin Fine with directive to drive the sport upwards to a new level.
Year round regular media coverage, a new format television package, on and off track activities and a lift in the social media world will ensure our sport remains a relevant and competitive option in the marketing of commercial partnerships.
Added to this is a further boost with our new motorsport social media campaign ensuring our sport will always be a competitive option in the marketing of existing and new commercial partnerships.

The MotorSport Promotions Board
The recently introduced MotorSport Promotions Board comprises a wealth of experience including;
• Bill Brown Circuit representative
• David Dovey Independent Race Classes
• John Fowke GM Finance Toyota New Zealand –Toyota Racing Series
• Shane McKillen Racing identity
• Ian Tulloch Chairman NZV8s Limited

MotorSport New Zealand will work closely with the Board to ensure the transparency of all commercial partnerships and communication while remaining focused on presenting the New Zealand Race Championships at a professional and exciting level.

The MotorSport Board will invite further expertise or other stake holders to further supplement its skill base and expertise.

Marketing Management – Brian Lawrence
After 11 years in Australia Brian returns to Auckland as Marketing Manager for NZV8 Touring cars working in conjunction with MotorSport Promotions Limited.
Brian’s career covers managerial and promoting roles in the World Superbike Championship, the Peter Jackson International Series and the two Bathurst 24 hour events.
In recent years he has held the Commercial Management positions with leading V8 Supercar teams Dick Johnson Racing, Stone Brothers Racing and working with Roland Dane’s Championship winning Team Vodafone.

Premier Championship Series Calendar (Provisional)
The Premier New Zealand Race Championship Series will be promoted over the summer months to ensure we capitalise on the premium part of the year where outdoor entertainment is part of New Zealanders’ regular activities.

8-9 December Taupo NZV8s
12-13 January Invercargill NZV8s - TRS
19-20 January Timaru NZV8s - TRS
26-27 January Taupo TRS
2-3 February Hampton Downs NZV8s - TRS
9-10 February Palmerston North NZV8s - TRS
9-10 March Pukekohe NZV8s
TBA April TBA (Subject to Australian V8 Supercar calendar)

Competing Classes
NZV8s will dominate the programme for the summer and these will be joined at four of the rounds by the hugely successful Toyota Racing Series which last season attracted 14 high profile International drivers.
Toyota New Zealand has announced a five year extension to this world class series which sees our own talent competing against some of the best single seater drivers from overseas.
V8 racing will take on a new dynamic with the introduction of the new generation NZV8s supplemented with a big field of the existing cars, both contesting their own Gold Star Championship.
These will be supported by a revamped Formula Ford category, V8 Utes, GT Sports, Suzuki Swift Sport Cup, Porsche, Trucks, Superbikes and a selection of support categories. This will ensure an exciting spectacle of entertaining motor racing for the fans.

New Zealand V8 Touring Car Championship
With the new generation V8 Touring car permitting a wide range of participating manufacturers including Ford, Holden, Audi, BMW, Hyundai, Mercedes Benz and Toyota to name some, no other current touring car championship has this potential.
The new generation cars are powered by the manufacturer’s engine, thus preserving the credibility of their marquee and the essential DNA of the car. No other engine options are permitted.
Backing up their long term single seater program, Toyota has already pledged their similar support for this exciting new category.
MotorSport New Zealand has already announced a two year Championship for the existing V8 Touring cars awarding Gold Star Championship status while the new generation V8s will compete for their own Gold Star Championship and the award of the Premier Saloon Car Champion.

Manufacturers Championship
Currently being considered is the reintroduction of a Manufacturers Championship with points awarded according to race results. Manufacturers see this type of Championship being beneficial to complement existing advertising and promotional campaigns

Advertising and Promotion
MotorSport Promotions are working with New Zealand’s largest privately owned advertising agency Auckland based BCG2 to manage the extensive advertising and promotion of the National Championship Series.
New innovative campaigns are being developed to ensure our sport is promoted to a wide range of existing and new fans while providing a similar profile for our existing and new commercial partners.

Media Management
Aucklander Jono Lester, not only a leading talent behind the wheel of a racing car but also behind a computer, heads up our new social media business.
Jono teams with MotorSport New Zealand’s Amanda Tollemache to concentrate on websites, Facebook and twitter sites providing a wide range of daily news from events to teams, drivers and other news worthy items to keep abreast of what’s hot and what’s not!
This team will be also be managing all print media releases and implementing the new branding and promotional strategies.

Television
National coverage
MotorSport Promotions is currently in negotiation with individual broadcasters and an announcement is due to be made by mid-June 2012.
The long term success of the Championship Series depends on being able to expose our sport to the widest range of viewers and providing not only exciting motorsport but valuable exposure to both ours and our competitor’s commercial partners.

International coverage
An integral part of our future plans includes the broadcasting of our Series in other countries including Australia, North America, Asia, Europe and the UK.

Summary
As part of taking the sport to the next level, Motorsport Promotions is undergoing a complete makeover in key areas of management, restructuring of classes, advertising and promotion including television coverage.
This won’t happen overnight but our plans have been thoroughly researched and will be implemented with the benefits afforded to our commercial partners, teams and drivers and our loyal and expanding fan base.
Commercial practice has faced some very tough times over the past years and we have taken this re-valuation based on past history and facts.
One thing is paramount and that is the protection of our New Zealand Championship classes and their ability to foster and manage the huge talent base of drivers New Zealand has produced to race on a world stage past, present and in the future.
We invite you to be a part of this incredible journey representing our proud country to not only our people, but to the world.
Ends
Old 28 May 2012, 19:57 (Ref:3080765)   #1402
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Southern Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
Ass-kisser! SM is one of them and you know it...
Sorry old son but once again you are wrong. I just happen to be a member of a car club, a car club that has worked damn hard to provide a motor race facility in the South Island.

Even though I now qualify as an old age pensioner I like to think that I am still compettive be it as as a driver, co-driver, engineer and/or team manager and I can still get the odd blood rush to the head and sound off just like I used to many years ago. Hopefully if I ever grow up I will get over that but currently I am having too much fun in the sport for that to happen.

Being a competitor who has enjoyed the efforts others have made to provide facilities and services that have allowed me the absolute enjoyment to express myself in a car I do realise that it has now become my turn to assist others to obtain the same hence my involvement as a volunteer official in the sport. Sure it happens to be a senior role but I guess that just happens if you have the experience and knowledge that the role/s require be it at a club hillclimb or an international race meeting.

I do find it an interesting study in human behaviour that as soon as anyone on here uses factual knowledge to make their point that they are accused of being in cohorts with the enemy, maybe it is part of the mob behaviour that Jimmy Richards summed up so well at Bathurst a few years ago.

I do find it so sad that the glass of life of so many today is half empty rather than half full.
Old 28 May 2012, 20:01 (Ref:3080772)   #1403
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Southern Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
c'mon Southern Man.. you're not allowed to bring common sense into this debate

next you're going to tell us TMC and NZV8s aren't to blame for this cold weather
Down this way we did think that they were in charge of the finances of the Otago Rugby Union but after an extensive and expensive inquiry we discovered that this was only a cover to hide that they were the selectors and coaches for the Auckland Blues
Old 28 May 2012, 21:02 (Ref:3080822)   #1404
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
Down this way we did think that they were in charge of the finances of the Otago Rugby Union but after an extensive and expensive inquiry we discovered that this was only a cover to hide that they were the selectors and coaches for the Auckland Blues
Now THAT is funny!
Old 28 May 2012, 22:16 (Ref:3080841)   #1405
Racer Mike
Racer

New Zealand
Racer Mike should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WOW! Is this guy Paul Lewis the next Rupert Murdoch or are you Aucklanders wining and dining him? His article in the herald seems to be following through from other key notes. At least hes factual!

A review of the governance of MotorSport New Zealand is the major activity to come out of last week's annual general meeting of motor racing's governing body.

A remit from the Kapiti Car Club was passed, asking for an independent review of MSNZ's governance. That remit, the first one to be dealt with at the meeting, superseded others seeking similar action - including one which sought to bar MSNZ from having commercial interests in the sport while doubling as an administrative and regulatory body. Other remits were withdrawn once Kapiti's was passed.

The focus on governance at the AGM came after simmering discontent in some motor racing circles over the way MSNZ and subsidiaries like The Motorsport Company run the sport - including issues like financial management and transparency.

The governance review has hit a chord with those in motor sport and one source said: "At least there is a process to be gone through now. You could see the executive [of MSNZ] were surprised when the voting cards were held up and the remit passed - I'd say they were not expecting it.

"The only slight worry is that the independent review is to be commissioned by the president and the past president and it is to be hoped that doesn't mean they bring in someone friendly to them but have a truly independent review."

A number of national sports bodies have reviewed their governance in recent times, the latest of which is Swimming New Zealand. The review, headed by former NZRU chief and Fonterra senior executive Chris Moller, called for the entire board and chief executive to resign, according to reports which surfaced after a meeting in which Moller outlined his recommendations to key parties involved.

Reports said Moller maintained that Swimming NZ must now not be allowed to adopt only some of the changes recommended - it must be all or nothing if the sport was serious about moving forward and resolving problems which had disrupted and divided it for years.

One motor racing source said: "Moller is obviously independent and obviously someone who knows what he is doing and his way round a sporting organisation. Why not get him to do it [the review] if he is available?"

Other motor racing insiders say the move for a review is a good one and has pleased many in the sport.

"I hope MSNZ understands that we have not been pushing for this because we don't like them or because we are in it for some sort of gratuitous aggravation. Many in the sport feel it needs to happen because we care about the sport and want to make things better."
Old 29 May 2012, 07:09 (Ref:3080960)   #1406
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
Ass-kisser! SM is one of them and you know it...
not me

you never go ass to mouth
Old 29 May 2012, 20:51 (Ref:3081459)   #1407
Ugy
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
Ugy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
highly likely

but i can neither confirm nor deny that statement
You seem to know what your talking about Promax, i hope your right
Old 30 May 2012, 06:41 (Ref:3081651)   #1408
E36ST
Racer

New Zealand
NZ
E36ST should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
Maybe it is because they used to run their round in early December and this year as they have the Wigram revival meeting the 1st weekend of November and the finals for the Super tourers now added to their calendar for the last weekend of November that they felt that they could not run another meeting a week or so later.
Volunteers, and they are the ones who man the meeting and make it possible are finding it harder each day to get time off work to support their passion and three big meetings in such a short period of time would be one hellava drain on resources. One also needs to remember that Chch is going though a very tough time due to a shortage of so many facilities that one would normally take for granted and this too may have come into part of the considerations
It would have been Canterbury Car Club's choice when they sat around the negotiation table.
Canterbury Car Club would have quite happily hosted another Tier 1 meeting however it was TMC's (or whoever they are these days) decision not to run, citing that the North Island drivers didn't want to make two trips to the South Island, nor be away for meetings 3 weekends in a row.
Old 31 May 2012, 04:10 (Ref:3082225)   #1409
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Mike View Post
WOW! Is this guy Paul Lewis the next Rupert Murdoch or are you Aucklanders wining and dining him?
have you seen what's on the bonnet of the International Motorsport cars?
Old 31 May 2012, 05:26 (Ref:3082234)   #1410
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
have you seen what's on the bonnet of the International Motorsport cars?
Granny Herald on a race car.....really?
Old 1 Jun 2012, 08:32 (Ref:3083088)   #1411
Oreti kid
Racer

New Zealand
Toowoomba
Oreti kid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Two jobs for Jono!

this is very interesting given that Jono Lester is driving with Johnny in the V8ST Enduro series!!!!!!!!!
hopefully he has some passion left for MSNZ???????
Media Management
Aucklander Jono Lester, not only a leading talent behind the wheel of a racing car but also behind a computer, heads up our new social media business.
Jono teams with MotorSport New Zealand’s Amanda Tollemache to concentrate on websites, Facebook and twitter sites providing a wide range of daily news from events to teams, drivers and other news worthy items to keep abreast of what’s hot and what’s not!
This team will be also be managing all print media releases and implementing the new branding and promotional strategies.
Old 1 Jun 2012, 08:55 (Ref:3083101)   #1412
harcey
Racer

harcey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreti kid View Post
this is very interesting given that Jono Lester is driving with Johnny in the V8ST Enduro series!!!!!!!!!
hopefully he has some passion left for MSNZ???????
Media Management
i dont think that jono lester being employed by MNZ to improve their social media makes him a disciple of MNZ and/or NZV8--thats his day work skills being utilised,on the weekends he goes racing when he can and from what i know of him gives 100% to all aspects of the sport which is probably why MNZ hired him in the first place.....and i guess if MSP or MNZ had a problem he wouldn't have the job...
Old 1 Jun 2012, 10:02 (Ref:3083142)   #1413
smokin'joe
Veteran

smokin'joe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by harcey View Post
i dont think that jono lester being employed by MNZ to improve their social media makes him a disciple of MNZ and/or NZV8--thats his day work skills being utilised,on the weekends he goes racing when he can and from what i know of him gives 100% to all aspects of the sport which is probably why MNZ hired him in the first place.....and i guess if MSP or MNZ had a problem he wouldn't have the job...
exactly.
although, i was expecting an Aussie V8 driver as Jonny's ring-in.
Old 1 Jun 2012, 10:15 (Ref:3083147)   #1414
Racer Mike
Racer

New Zealand
Racer Mike should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can see MSNZ and its cronie promotional arm not happy with this scenarin with Lester, they are very short sighted however if they let him continue this could well be a first. Just look at Jamie McArthy and mark pedersen, our way or the highway, not to mention a number more of media personal.
Old 1 Jun 2012, 10:28 (Ref:3083157)   #1415
smokin'joe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Mike View Post
I can see MSNZ and its cronie promotional arm not happy with this scenarin with Lester, they are very short sighted however if they let him continue this could well be a first.
care to elaborate??
Old 1 Jun 2012, 11:20 (Ref:3083179)   #1416
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
Icarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridIcarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I should have thought that any business PROFESSIONAL should be able to do a great job for 2 brands. It's all about meeting the need of the client not what colur your underwear is.
Client MPL needs social media advice
JMR needs a workmanlike co-driver
Not seeing a clash here myself but it has been said I can be a bit thick
Old 1 Jun 2012, 11:26 (Ref:3083181)   #1417
smokin'joe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus_nz View Post
I should have thought that any business PROFESSIONAL should be able to do a great job for 2 brands. It's all about meeting the need of the client not what colur your underwear is.
my thoughts too.
some on here try to create a scandal out of nothing.
Old 1 Jun 2012, 15:39 (Ref:3083319)   #1418
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin'joe View Post
my thoughts too.
some on here try to create a scandal out of nothing.
I agree, some people let their egos run wild and love to create drama out of nothing.
Old 1 Jun 2012, 20:34 (Ref:3083506)   #1419
Jerico
Veteran

New Zealand
Jerico should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't want to spoil your party, but wasn't it said by one of you posters, to stay on the correct thread, or is that just crap now and out the window.
Old 1 Jun 2012, 21:11 (Ref:3083519)   #1420
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
maybe he's a spy.. he might be there to measure and take photos of the st during his stint

or maybe.. he's a racer that accept a drive in a racecar
Old 2 Jun 2012, 02:30 (Ref:3083601)   #1421
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus_nz View Post
A professional would also realise that he's being paid by a rival company.
I know the conversation with my boss would be fairly short and sharp if I casually mnetioned I was doing some freelancing with our competitors... Even if that was in a different field to the one I'm paid for.
Old 2 Jun 2012, 02:35 (Ref:3083603)   #1422
harcey
Racer

harcey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappelli View Post
A professional would also realise that he's being paid by a rival company.
I know the conversation with my boss would be fairly short and sharp if I casually mnetioned I was doing some freelancing with our competitors... Even if that was in a different field to the one I'm paid for.
I can nip that one in the bud......he is not being paid to drive with John mcintyre.......he is not paid to drive in japan either....like any up and coming driver he will race anything anywhere until maybe his time comes to be a proffessional...or not.
Old 2 Jun 2012, 03:38 (Ref:3083608)   #1423
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think it matters whether he's being paid to drive with McIntyre... He's getting paid to promote NZV8's.
Given that V8ST media strategy revolves around WHO is driving as much as what they're driving, I don't think it takes a rocket surgeon to work out that there's a pretty significant conflict of interest for anyone who is professionally charged with promoting a product to be moonlighting with their direct competitor.
Old 2 Jun 2012, 05:00 (Ref:3083626)   #1424
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappelli View Post
I don't think it matters whether he's being paid to drive with McIntyre... He's getting paid to promote NZV8's.
Given that V8ST media strategy revolves around WHO is driving as much as what they're driving, I don't think it takes a rocket surgeon to work out that there's a pretty significant conflict of interest for anyone who is professionally charged with promoting a product to be moonlighting with their direct competitor.
Total malarkey hogwash nonsense.

From my own perspective, I do contract work for direct competitors in the motorsports world all the time, some who don't like each other or who have taken legal action against one another. But everyone knows I do a professional job for them at that moment in time when I am retained in their employ and they know I do not discuss proprietary information with one or the other, to the point of signing secrecy agreements and proprietary information clauses in contracts. If people want my total 100% undying commitment, then they are free to retain my services on a monthly or year round basis.

I only met Jono one time, but he seems like a stand up guy to me, who at least from my perspective with all I have seen, to be a hard working and professional individual. In addition he's probably one of the nicer, helpful individuals I have met in my extensive travels in NZ. I've never seen or heard anything to suggest otherwise.

I think it's one thing to discuss on a forum different series and all their related news, but on a personal level, I don't think people on this forum need to interject their big booty ego that far into people's personal business arrangements and what they do or don't do in those arrangements and what they get paid or not get paid for. It's one thing if something has been made public knowledge, but I think this is going too far.
Old 2 Jun 2012, 08:06 (Ref:3083652)   #1425
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
I'm not saying it's an issue that bares any reflection on Jono's integrity.
However, what we're talking about is a little different to supplying general motorsport services. Jono's been employed to build brand preference, that ain't going to happen if he's got a foot (or seen to have a foot) in both camps.
In other word, how happy would Mike Pero be if Murph turned up on a BNZ ad?
It may not be an issue though, perhaps there's not competitive clause in his contract?