Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Nov 2001, 15:06 (Ref:173267)   #1
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Flavio Briatore to take over Prost??

There are rumours that Flavio Briatore wants to take over Prost, give them Renault/Megachrome engines, and hire Aloso and Webber to drive the cars. Sounds good to me
Old 11 Nov 2001, 16:21 (Ref:173297)   #2
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sounds good to me too. A team can't survive these days, let alone do well and score points, without exceptional management talent at the very top of the structure. I admit that I know relatively little about Alain Prost's abilities in that department - but when you see drivers suddenly getting swapped out of their seats, and hear of big fallings-out with co-owners, you start to see a big difference between successful and also-ran team owners.
Old 11 Nov 2001, 16:38 (Ref:173309)   #3
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nah. This IS too good. I can't see it.

Ok, the "Flavio to buy out Prost" bit I CAN believe, but HHF and Enge will be driving next year.
Old 11 Nov 2001, 17:22 (Ref:173327)   #4
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Could it be ?

Does it mean that Prost will be Flavio's employee ?????

Uhn...
Old 11 Nov 2001, 22:49 (Ref:173448)   #5
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This rumour has been round in some form or other for the past few months now. But Briatore taking over Prost is entirely new to me.

To be honest, it sounds like a good idea. Alain, although a great racer, has proven that his talents should have been left on the track. If Briatore came in, then he would likely be left in an ambassadorial role.

However, Alonso and Webber to drive? Nah, maybe Webber because Briatore has promised him a seat, but Alonso will be at Renault to get the seat Button will be forces to vacate around mid-season when he completely screws up again!!!
Old 11 Nov 2001, 22:50 (Ref:173449)   #6
srinimax
Racer

srinimax should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
he would have to be. and thats precisely why i dont think it'll happen. prost has shown this stubborn streak in him to keep banging his head against a wall. he insists on ownership and leadership despite a really bad performance from him. perhaps only bankrupcy will team him a lesson. too bad though its turning out this way.
Old 12 Nov 2001, 01:19 (Ref:173486)   #7
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A number of things make this rumour questionable.

1) Briatore has already owned and sold the team. I cannot believe he'd buy it back at a loss.

2) Mechachrome? Do those old Re-badged Renaults still exist? Has there been any developemnet since the end of 2000? I doubt it.

3) Better HHF than Webber.
Old 12 Nov 2001, 23:55 (Ref:173847)   #8
ozrevhead
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide, Australia
ozrevhead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Flavio Briatore to take over Prost??

Quote:
Originally posted by steve nielsen
There are rumours that Flavio Briatore wants to take over Prost, give them Renault/Megachrome engines, and hire Aloso and Webber to drive the cars. Sounds good to me
That would be totaly OUT OF THIS WORLD if that could happen !!!!!!!
Both mark and fernado deserve a drive & flavio briatore stated that he wants to get mark in f1....

Quote:
Originally posted by f1manoz
However, Alonso and Webber to drive? Nah, maybe Webber because Briatore has promised him a seat, but Alonso will be at Renault to get the seat Button will be forces to vacate around mid-season when he completely screws up again!!!
As for alonso to renult, f1 manoz: it be far better for fernando if he gets results in the second Renault - (if that happens) - that are better than jenson in the main car than just test-driving surely???????
Old 13 Nov 2001, 10:13 (Ref:173938)   #9
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by f1manoz
Alonso and Webber to drive? Nah, maybe Webber because Briatore has promised him a seat, but Alonso will be at Renault to get the seat Button will be forces to vacate around mid-season when he completely screws up again!!!
Me thinks so too!
Old 13 Nov 2001, 13:56 (Ref:173999)   #10
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I'm sure the Meccachrome engines do exist and that Flavio has the marketing rights to them as well. As to development, I doubt it, but then it has to be better than the dog of an engine they use at the moment surely?
Old 13 Nov 2001, 14:41 (Ref:174014)   #11
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
One year out-of-date Ferrari engines = "dog of an engine"? Don't think so. Sauber didn't seem to mind them and 'twas enough to enable them to see-off both Honda teams, Ford and Renault.

Prost reliability was second only to Ferrari last year - shame the same can't be said of their speed! I'd go so far as to say that the engine is the only bit of the Prost team that doesn't need changing! If Prost make it to the grid with a different engine it will be because of money (or lack of it). That's if they make it at all.
Old 13 Nov 2001, 16:04 (Ref:174035)   #12
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
if this goed through we'll have 2 Renault teams, 2 Honda teams,2 Ferrari teams and 2 Cosworth teams.........
Old 13 Nov 2001, 16:33 (Ref:174044)   #13
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Point taken Glen, you are right of course! However, if Flavio should tale over Prost, then he has the rights to engines that would presumably be somewhat cheaper than the current Prost/Ferrari deal?
Old 13 Nov 2001, 16:39 (Ref:174045)   #14
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
...and that means the engines Benetton used this season... blaarghh
Old 13 Nov 2001, 16:51 (Ref:174049)   #15
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe not such a good idea after all...

Although to be fair, they weren't so bad towards the end. And they should be a damn sight cheaper than those Ferraris.
Old 13 Nov 2001, 23:18 (Ref:174305)   #16
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
The Mechacrome engines are not this years Renaults folks, they are the ones Arrows used a couple of years ago. Re worked Williams engines I believe.
Old 13 Nov 2001, 23:35 (Ref:174311)   #17
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

So, anyway, where this is leading to ?

nowhere I think.
Old 14 Nov 2001, 04:40 (Ref:174346)   #18
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All Mecachrome/Supertecs are are rebadged Renault engines, they could be the same spec if they wanted them to be, Mecachrome used to build the factory Renault Engines in the mid 90s.

I wouldn't be suprised if this was true. Renault were going to buy Minardi through Mecachrome this year but something happened.

If Flav went to Prost, HHF or Enge would be gone, Flav wants Webber in F1, he said it himself and that he thought webber would be competitive.
Old 14 Nov 2001, 05:26 (Ref:174351)   #19
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
maybe they'll give Prost(Briatore) the engine that Benetton used in the end of the season and rebadge them Nissan(could be)
Old 14 Nov 2001, 11:27 (Ref:174395)   #20
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Where are you guys getting all these stories and suppositions from? Is this all just bull$hitting, or wishfull thinking or what?
I cannot see any good coming from the old Mechachrome engines as they are very outdated by now. If anything is going to come from anyone buying the Prost team, then it would need greatly improved aerodynamics , greatly worked chassis, and at least the customer Ferrari or next years Renault to be any good - and all this requires oodles of cash injection. Otherwise, lets forget all the rumours, because they are only leading us to the back of the grid.
Old 14 Nov 2001, 11:49 (Ref:174402)   #21
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Anyway... How about Prost ? Any news about their future ?

Things doesn't look bright last time I read about it.

Last edited by Bononi; 14 Nov 2001 at 11:50.
Old 15 Nov 2001, 20:10 (Ref:175116)   #22
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Valve Bounce
Where are you guys getting all these stories and suppositions from? Is this all just bull$hitting, or wishfull thinking or what?
I cannot see any good coming from the old Mechachrome engines as they are very outdated by now. If anything is going to come from anyone buying the Prost team, then it would need greatly improved aerodynamics , greatly worked chassis, and at least the customer Ferrari or next years Renault to be any good - and all this requires oodles of cash injection. Otherwise, lets forget all the rumours, because they are only leading us to the back of the grid.
qouoted in full for emphasis

Thanks, Bouncey, a little common sense is otherwise in short supply around here.
Old 16 Nov 2001, 02:07 (Ref:175285)   #23
Wiki
Racer

Wiki should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Granted Alain proved as good a team manager as Tarso did a driver .... but give Prost to Flav the W*nker(official title) -- NO WAY!!!
That snake-eyed boy already has too many fingers in too many pies to the detriment of a lot of good drivers like Fisi and Jarno and Ferdy. The last thing he needs is another team to furnish the wooden horses on the driver-go-round he runs like a gap-toothed gypsy shyster ....

Ban testing? ban traction control? Nah, ban Briatore!!
Old 23 Nov 2001, 04:17 (Ref:177965)   #24
ozrevhead
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide, Australia
ozrevhead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
flav to take over prost

Quote:
Originally posted by Valve Bounce
the prost f1 team is in recevership...maybe it's not just rumors hey??
i guess im totaly biasd because i want mark webber to be in f1 - no matter how or why?

GO MARK WEBBER!!!!!!!!!!
Old 23 Nov 2001, 09:11 (Ref:178001)   #25
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hang on guys, lets put some financial perspective to this. Ok Briatore may have some cash and connections - but we are talking about a financial requirement of $80 million up to the end of 2002 alone!

Prost already owes $30 million, of which nearly all must be due to his 2001 suppliers. Plus you need at least $50 million for 2002 to make the Prost team a better prospect than it was this season - or the exercise is pointless.

AP has knocked on just about every door for sponsorship and 'partners' and no doubt used his connections to tweak the French government for support. All to no avail.

Would you want to spend $80 million on Prost?

HHF is just playing games to try and up the ante on his already limited options. This is an ex-Williams driver with a bust and feeble Prost team and tail enders - Arrows and Minardi 'pushing' for his services. In fact Arrows want him so much, they have asked HHF to pay the $1,000,000 get out clause on Verstappen's contract, if he wants the drive!

Minardi will improve next year (I hope) - but even so, all his options look to be firmly rooted at the rear of the grid.