Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 21 Feb 2002, 14:46 (Ref:220090)   #1
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
New Le Mans Film?

This just in from DailySportscar.com

AUTOSPORT are running an interesting story today. The gist of it is that Jean-Paul Driot’s DAMS team will enter a pair of cars in this year’s race, a Lola B98 / 10 Judd (their ’99 car, leased back from FIA SCC runner Bob Berridge) and a Panoz LMP. The cars will be used for filming during the race (assuming that they receive entries of course, which is an interesting predicament for the ACO), and will return in August to wrap up the shooting.

There will be two sets of bodywork for each car, so that it appears that each is part of a two car team. The comic book hero Michel Vaillant will ‘race’ the Lola, while the ‘bad guys’ will be in the Panoz. Jean-Marc Gounon is seen in the ‘good guys’ car Le Mans in ’99.

No drivers have been announced yet. Presumably, anyone interested in a seat would need to be sure that he wasn’t in line for a conventional entry…although a role in a film that could be a classic, in the same way as the McQueen original, does have its attractions.

Having also read the Autosport this week, this film could be quite good, we will have to wait and see what happens.
Old 21 Feb 2002, 15:06 (Ref:220092)   #2
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Possible !

I confirm there's an identic rumor in France, but I did'nt know that Dams was involved... glad that they could be here afetr all, but sad for the cars... the Lola is too old, and the Panoz... is permormancly pathetic !
Old 21 Feb 2002, 17:59 (Ref:220177)   #3
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That would make the races very interesting!!! Maybe a bit of paint swapping and daring manoeveres between the good guys and the bad guys!!! I hope its true as it could be very interesting!!!

BTW if they put on board and on bodywork cameras do you think they'll let TV have access to them? Could be very entertaining!!!
Old 21 Feb 2002, 20:46 (Ref:220265)   #4
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm interested in watching this film if it ever gets made.
Old 21 Feb 2002, 21:23 (Ref:220299)   #5
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sound to good to be true, strange none of the Hollywood lads or lasses are mentioned. Any ideas for a new McQueen ? There must be at least one interested, did not seem to do his career at lot of harm.

SL

PS Makes mental note not to be near any of the strip joints if there is a man with a camera nearby
Old 23 Feb 2002, 21:22 (Ref:221365)   #6
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by SL
mental note not to be near any of the strip joints if there is a man with a camera nearby

Hell, sod that, SL, I shall be posing in front of every camera I see in June - I want to be in the film!!

Mind you, if they've got any sense, they won't go near any of the strip joints - that's one aspect of the Le Mans atmosphere that really should be buried under the new Dunlop to Esses sweeper!!
Old 23 Feb 2002, 21:32 (Ref:221372)   #7
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What you mean it should go underground, isn't that a bit dangerous you know with gangs and violence and the like!!
Old 23 Feb 2002, 21:59 (Ref:221397)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I wasn't thinking of providing an entrance or exit, Paul. I was thinking in terms of some kind of ceremonial burial rather than re-establishing Le Mans' poorest form of entertainment underground......

Hell, I'm no prude, but you've gotta be pretty desperate, surely?!!!

Last edited by Aysedasi; 23 Feb 2002 at 22:00.
Old 24 Feb 2002, 10:23 (Ref:221623)   #9
f2001
Racer

f2001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
new le mans film would be nice, anythings better than driven !
Old 24 Feb 2002, 13:05 (Ref:221667)   #10
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Really, I'm in two minds on this one.
On the one hand, I would love to see the film, I welcome the participation of a proper team like DAMS and I like the Panoz and Lola cars.
On the other hand, why should a film crew get two entries with vintage cars which will be making extra stops for filming purposes?
If the ACO really wants them, maybe they should allow 50 entries?
If these cars get in at the expense of say, the Idee Verte WR or the new French 550 Maranello, I will be a bit disappointed.
Old 24 Feb 2002, 15:46 (Ref:221708)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Osella

On the other hand, why should a film crew get two entries with vintage cars which will be making extra stops for filming purposes?
If the ACO really wants them, maybe they should allow 50 entries?
Yes, I'm definitely with you on that thought, Osella.
Old 24 Feb 2002, 22:11 (Ref:222030)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The ACO have siad that they will not increase the entry for the film. To be fair they can't anyway.
Old 24 Feb 2002, 22:53 (Ref:222054)   #13
SL
Veteran

That's not really fair, after all the two cars will not be going for gold from the start unless there is major carnage from the front runners.

The ACO should add the 2 cars to the 48 allowed even if the extra two start once two official starters drop out.

As no main Hollywood names have appeared can I put myself forward for the lead role CV on request.

SL
Old 24 Feb 2002, 23:01 (Ref:222059)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Cool idea, but I bet one of the reasons for entering the race is so that they can get some good starting shots.

I presume that the hero and villain will be battling for overall honours in the film. I also presume that the Lola and the Panoz will start mid grid. It'll need some good editing!
Old 25 Feb 2002, 01:06 (Ref:222091)   #15
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i feel very sour for saying this but I hope they don't qualify! then they'll need even better editing!
Old 26 Feb 2002, 13:10 (Ref:222867)   #16
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
That would be a bit of a laugh, wouldn't it? But they will qualify. If they are invited by the ACO and pass the Test Day "test", then unless they suffer major problems which they can't put right after qualifying proper, they will start. And you can bet your bottom dollar that money will be changing hands between the filmmakers and the ACO on this one, so yes, (assuming that it all happens according to plan) they will qualify!
Old 26 Feb 2002, 17:12 (Ref:222986)   #17
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
What would happen if there was a torrential downpour and both cars retired on say the 2nd lap?
Old 26 Feb 2002, 18:33 (Ref:223033)   #18
SL
Veteran

As both cars have two sets of bodywork so they both appear part of a two car team.

Surely this is against the rules ? Or will it be more Euro's in the ACO bank account ?

The changes will give the timekeepers and pit crews on thier toes at any rate. I have visions of a Lola Judd front and a Panoz back 'cause all the fronts had been damaged.

Quote:
What would happen if there was a torrential downpour and both cars retired on say the 2nd lap?
I would think that contingecy would be included in the fiscal deal with the ACO and spare parts of cars could be left at stragic points around the circuit for the drivers to locate just in case. Apparently up untill the late '80's cans of petrol, fan belts, screwdrivers, spare wheels etc could often be found quite close by a stranded car. Especially at night.

SL
Old 27 Feb 2002, 13:31 (Ref:223622)   #19
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by paulzinho
As if that would happen!!!

Anyway, if they're coming back in August, they can proseumably add a fair bit of footage in from that session.
Old 27 Feb 2002, 20:34 (Ref:223946)   #20
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!

There's more to come on this story - suffice to say for now that the story in Autosport was not entirely correct!
Old 27 Feb 2002, 22:16 (Ref:224006)   #21
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Are you suggesting that the 1st April came early this year? If so, it was a good 'un! Come on, spill some beans Graham, you obviously know more than we do!

Last edited by Aysedasi; 27 Feb 2002 at 22:19.
Old 27 Feb 2002, 22:22 (Ref:224009)   #22
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
My Lips Are Sealed!!

Nope, the story isn't a total red herring, but some fundamental details have gone awry - I genuinely cannot say more than that at the moment (we've promised not to steal the thunder of those directly involved)
Old 27 Feb 2002, 22:35 (Ref:224032)   #23
SL
Veteran

OK a remake of Le Mans was probably to much to ask for.

Maybe it is a small part of a bigger film. Or maybe a TV series. If so I do hope it is done well.

SL
Old 27 Feb 2002, 22:50 (Ref:224050)   #24
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
No! I've got it! Think about it. Open-topped cars, Ginola-like locks blowing in the breeze - with a willowy blond announcing "because I'm worth it" as they cut to the hero picking up the trophy and spraying the champers to tune of that wonderfully evocative L'Oreal music!! A shampoo advert!!
Old 27 Feb 2002, 22:54 (Ref:224057)   #25
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I want to believe

Quote:
Originally posted by SL
Maybe it is a small part of a bigger film. Or maybe a TV series. If so I do hope it is done well.
It will be a big film, alright - if it comes together: http://us.imdb.com/Title?0307156

"no major names connected with the project" - Luc Besson. Any further questions?

I'm a big MV fan so I hope it will happen.

Isn't it strange, btw, that in most of these Belgian comic book "classics", the hero is either French, American, or British? Never Belgian. Vaillante always had a Belgian car on their team, though; or a Belgian driver somewhere. Jacky Ickx even co-starred in an Album. He could play himself in the movie

For the evil Leader, I suggest Reinhold "I really have black hair" Joest - type casting, you see

Quick survey: who would you like to see as Michel Vaillant?