Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 7 Nov 2005, 12:35 (Ref:1454095)   #51
Sport Billy
Rookie

Sport Billy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New to the thread, as Nev say's biased nit picking opinions really mean nothing!

I personally think Robbie is struggling to get what he wants from the car whether that be him or the team! If the tyre pressure allogation is right it is really fundamental and inexcusable!

It appears the car is no where near as settled through the corners, and if anyone has watched Robbie over the years they will know his ability to set a car up!

The removal of a key player within the team cannot help, anyone remember the cat amongst the pigeons in a Zytek??

Surtess himself is quoted on the A1 site, he does'nt say things lightly!!
Old 7 Nov 2005, 12:49 (Ref:1454115)   #52
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Gentlemen (although I am struggling to use that term with some of you), will you please refrain from making personal and unfounded attacks on either other members, or those who are unable to defend themselves because they are not forum members. We all have an opinion and of course are entitled to express them. However, neither I, the other moderators or the owners of ten-tenths will permit continued personal and possibly slanderous attacks. If you are not able to conduct yourselves in a gentlemanly and reasonable manner then you face the threat of a ban and the thread will be closed.

I am not taking sides here but I think Mr Jinxx has gone overboard in trying to explain why certain things have happened and has at all times been (IMHO) fair and as open as he is able.

Please, either stop the personal attacks or I will have this thread (and any subsequent ones on the same subject matter) closed. Clear?
Old 7 Nov 2005, 14:04 (Ref:1454197)   #53
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i am happy to admit that i am a good friend of Mr Jinxx, Alex and the family. However at no time have i been critical of Robbie Kerr who i think is a great driver who has been overlooked since his F3 years. In fact out of the four possible candidates my choice was Robbie and Alex for reasons i have previously stated. What is more i think Robbie has done a great job, in particular this weekend. The only point i have raised is that we have two good drivers and we should use them in the same way that France have done.
Old 7 Nov 2005, 17:20 (Ref:1454394)   #54
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_White
Actually, i give upon this topic. Let robbie Kerr drive until the end. It pains me though that team GB is clearly not going to win the title when GB has the best racing engineers and the best driving talent in the whole world.
Wrong IMO on the team count. I think Brasil have the best driver, but he is let down by his team as Robbie has on occasions.

I don't know if its me, but DAMS who run Team France have the car and pit stops sorted, even more than Arden. I bet if Piquet had that car it would be even more dominant. I don't think GB have the best drivers available to them anyway, but Robbie is a great driver (The British F3 title must mean something) and is GB's best bet at the moment.
Old 7 Nov 2005, 19:17 (Ref:1454533)   #55
Frank_White
Racer

Frank_White should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was speaking in the context of the GB team as formulated. I was talking about Great Britian in a National sense.
Old 8 Nov 2005, 00:32 (Ref:1454841)   #56
F3lollipops
Racer

United Kingdom
Lollipop Land
F3lollipops should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebab
...we should all be supporting TeamGB no matter what...

Erm, and why exactly would that be? Motor racing is not (and in my humble opinion, should not be) about supporting anyone just because of their nationality.

This is my main gripe about A1GP - there is a danger of it making the sport I love nationalistic and that kind of thing can very easily bring out the worst in certain elements of any crowd of spectators.

Oh, and just in case you are wondering, I am British and very proud to be.
Old 8 Nov 2005, 08:58 (Ref:1454991)   #57
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F3lollipops
This is my main gripe about A1GP - there is a danger of it making the sport I love nationalistic and that kind of thing can very easily bring out the worst in certain elements of any crowd of spectators.
Fair comment, although personally if it brings new fans to the sport (or even entirely new audiences) because of the country element then I think it is a good thing.

No disrespect to Alex or Robbie, but I think there are a lot of better available drivers out there (Manning?) but Surtees et al have chosen to go for relatively young chargers and fair play to them for that. I wish them both well.
Old 8 Nov 2005, 09:07 (Ref:1454995)   #58
nev
Racer

nev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery
No disrespect to Alex or Robbie, but I think there are a lot of better available drivers out there (Manning?) but Surtees et al have chosen to go for relatively young chargers and fair play to them for that. I wish them both well.

Why Manning, other than couple of F3 wins, what else !!!
tried America got bombed out.
And for people saying Green, Paffet or Hamilton all are with Merc so thier contracts probalbly wouldnt allow it. Even Wilson who has achieved far more than Manning will be tied down to his contract as well as not being able to fit in the car (lanky) oh and good on him for winning the last race of the season.
Old 8 Nov 2005, 11:41 (Ref:1455101)   #59
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Surtees and Arden should be applauded for giving Robbie and Alex a chance in A1GP as they had both fallen of the Radar. As i originally said, quite a number of the other possible drivers were under contract and the only other two possible candidates were Ralph Formin (that well known irishman !!) and James Rossiter. Both of those drivers are in fairly good situation anyway.
Old 8 Nov 2005, 11:48 (Ref:1455108)   #60
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gents..

Team Great Britain acquitted themselves very well in Australia AFAIAC..best of luck in the future
Old 8 Nov 2005, 13:41 (Ref:1455206)   #61
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nev
Why Manning, other than couple of F3 wins, what else !!!
tried America got bombed out.
Ok, well if being bombed out occurs as a result of being the top scoring driver in your team then the likes of Alonso had better watch their backs.
Old 9 Nov 2005, 08:50 (Ref:1456061)   #62
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Gaz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Robbie has done a fine job so far in all honesty. He's been a bit rusty and made 1-2 mistakes but come on the job he's done overall in the feature races thus far has been fantastic. He has beaten off some strong opposition who have a season of top level racing behind them. The only reason France are were they are in the main is due to them finding the sweet spot with their car. I don't think in the large part it is a driver issue as I don't believe for one second that Premat/Lapierre are better driver than Robbie, Nelson and Jos for examples.

Putting Alex in the car - well I have two issues here. Firsty, I personally would like to see Alex in the car for a couple of races. This is mainly due to the fact that I've never been convinced of his talent and given a chance in equal machinery and with Robbie as a benchmark then we would begin to see if this guys really any good and it has been a case of in the past his equipment has not been upto it or the situation has just not been right as has been claimed. But putting another driver in the car will surely affect our chances of getting on terms with France? Robbie must now be working on trying to find the sweet spot that suits him and can get him on terms and surely sticking Alex in the car will take us back to square one?
Old 9 Nov 2005, 11:19 (Ref:1456227)   #63
Sport Billy
Rookie

France is plain and simply consistant, DAMS are a fantastic team with close ties to the manufacturer of the car.. Ref Gaz. Robbie has the ability to match any driver given equal machinery, his long term bugbear. And before anyone jumps on me I know the cars are the same, the engineers and peripheral factors are not however.
Believe in my opinion there is an element of complacency at Arden, they have not really given Haike (excuse if spelt wrong!) the tool to do the job in GP2 either.

To the public/spectators it appears the only difference between the cars is the guy piloting them, I don't believe Alex has been on a par with Robbie, could be wrong and will probably be told so!

But giving him the oppurtunity may be a poisoned chalis because as we all know mistakes and poor set up do not give a driver a fair chance.. something people forget
and not being party to all conversations within the garage we are all ignorant to! (Unfortunately)
Old 9 Nov 2005, 11:53 (Ref:1456242)   #64
Rockfan
Rookie

England
Near Rockingham
Rockfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My concern is that Robbie is getting all the seat time, and God forbid anything should happen to Robbie/GBR like the Japanese driver, and for some reason Robbie couldn't drive, Alex has not had sufficent seat time either, but how does he get that time unless he is given time or a race. Perhaps he gets to race the sprint race and Robbie the Feature.

I am not saying Robbie hasn't been ok, and his last race was an improvement and a good result, but still all eggs in one basket, is not a good thing. If Alex is not good enough, nobody will know until he is given his chance either.

I still want GBR to do well and win, whetaever driver is in the seat.
Old 9 Nov 2005, 12:01 (Ref:1456251)   #65
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
I still think the fedback from two drivers, perhaps on the Friday would be a good thing. France have had benefit. Perhaps running Piquet on his own is now working against Brazil to some degree
Old 9 Nov 2005, 13:26 (Ref:1456319)   #66
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockfan
My concern is that Robbie is getting all the seat time, and God forbid anything should happen to Robbie/GBR like the Japanese driver, and for some reason Robbie couldn't drive, Alex has not had sufficent seat time either, but how does he get that time unless he is given time or a race. Perhaps he gets to race the sprint race and Robbie the Feature.
I was thinking about this possibility when reading back over this thread, however I would prefer to do Robbie in the sprint and Alex in the feature, if only because I would imagine Robbie, having more experience in the car has a better chance of a higher finish, giving Alex a higher grid slot in the feature.
Old 9 Nov 2005, 16:09 (Ref:1456403)   #67
Rockfan
Rookie

England
Near Rockingham
Rockfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's very true. I only suggested that as guide, but you are correct, but the qualifying is also needed to be good for the spirit race to be effective.

It might give the drivers a chance though.
Old 9 Nov 2005, 16:30 (Ref:1456415)   #68
Kebab
Racer

Kebab has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
That's a really good idea, actually - would ensure both drivers were up to speed.

When are the teams getting their 2nd cars? That would really help as well.
Old 9 Nov 2005, 17:11 (Ref:1456456)   #69
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
All teams will have second cars from Dubai round
Old 9 Nov 2005, 21:24 (Ref:1456693)   #70
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreversideways
I still think the fedback from two drivers, perhaps on the Friday would be a good thing. France have had benefit. Perhaps running Piquet on his own is now working against Brazil to some degree
I think not. So far the biggest delays have been in the pitstops and, last time out, by the drive-through due to equipment being left in the pit lane. More to the point, I have only seen Frederic Vasseur on the pit wall at Brands. Perhaps he has the magic touch.
Old 9 Nov 2005, 21:58 (Ref:1456712)   #71
nev
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Billy
France is plain and simply consistant, DAMS are a fantastic team with close ties to the manufacturer of the car.. Ref Gaz. (Unfortunately)
Dont Dams run 3 teams !!
so they actually get 3 times more feedback than Arden.

is that fair game, cos you could send one team out with soft setup, one on medium and one hard and whichever ran the best thats the one you would use.
Old 9 Nov 2005, 22:40 (Ref:1456759)   #72
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Carlin run three teams, too. They're on the pace with Portugal, but so far all they have to show for their efforts with Lebanon and Japan are the two biggest shunts of the season.
Old 21 Nov 2005, 12:24 (Ref:1466418)   #73
Sport Billy
Rookie

Dams run Mexico, Switzerland and france to the best of my knowledge and yes Carlin run 3 as well although they're drivers are less than great, do or die manouvres!
Poor race craft really showing there look at the dicing Robbie has enjoyed with both France and Brazil.
Did anyone happen to notice that the boost button was'nt pressed by Robbie, I can honestly say his car is crap now. Washing out on turn in and spinning up on exit.
Whilst this is Robbies responsibility to sort Arden are now on they're 3rd team manager since the start of the series, not going to encourage consistency behind the scenes!
Team GB are purely relying on the drivers ability are not giving him the tool to do the job..
Old 21 Nov 2005, 13:00 (Ref:1466459)   #74
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
To finish on the podium in a car you call "crap" rather suggests things aren't that bad.

GB is now sharing info with Canada as far as I know, so that may bear some fruit on set ups too.
Old 21 Nov 2005, 13:28 (Ref:1466489)   #75
nev
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
To finish on the podium in a car you call "crap" rather suggests things aren't that bad.

GB is now sharing info with Canada as far as I know, so that may bear some fruit on set ups too.

I think there supposed to be but i think you will find that there not, and regarding your other comment about "To finish on the podium in a car you call "crap" rather suggests things aren't that bad" should be "or the driver is really doing a good gob"