Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 30 Jun 2009, 15:54 (Ref:2493981)   #1
RF_Racer
Veteran

RF_Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Race Coaching

Has anyone used John Stevens for race coaching? I want improve my ontrack skills and few people have suggested I should get some professional coaching.

http://www.racecoaching.com/
Old 30 Jun 2009, 16:09 (Ref:2493986)   #2
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've heard he's very good and utterly professional. No 1st hand knowledge tho.
Old 30 Jun 2009, 22:07 (Ref:2494158)   #3
dellboy
Rookie

dellboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
you could try www.kierenclark.com he can either use your car or hire his. You will learn so much whatever your level. Quite a few friends have done coaching with him and they all give great feedback.
Old 1 Jul 2009, 05:02 (Ref:2494264)   #4
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RF_Racer View Post
Has anyone used John Stevens for race coaching? I want improve my ontrack skills and few people have suggested I should get some professional coaching.

You will be surprised by Johh's smoothness behind the wheel

Or you could try Steve Deeks,just as good,Steve hold's an instructor super licence and is very,very good. Be prepared to pay though,these services are not cheap.
Old 1 Jul 2009, 09:11 (Ref:2494337)   #5
Jen-MSAR
Advertiser
Rookie

United Kingdom
Jen-MSAR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jamie Stanley is also fantastic - www.jamiestanley.co.uk within 1 track day I instantly noticed a difference in my driving and I have heard the same from many people who have used him. Very professional and friendly approach
Old 1 Jul 2009, 09:52 (Ref:2494364)   #6
RF_Racer
Veteran

RF_Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
You will be surprised by Johh's smoothness behind the wheel

Or you could try Steve Deeks,just as good,Steve hold's an instructor super licence and is very,very good. Be prepared to pay though,these services are not cheap.
Thanks Terence, I have got some quotes back and is not as bad as I imagined. Looks like thats were my next spend will be!
Old 1 Jul 2009, 10:44 (Ref:2494396)   #7
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good luck,I have found that with my clients,some of whom had spent thousands on the car trying to go that little bit quicker,usually find that bit extra in half a day.It is usually the odd little things that we sometimes get used to doing that can slow us down a bit.I'm sure you'll find the time you hope for.
Old 7 Jul 2009, 11:23 (Ref:2497191)   #8
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Try Simon Mason - http://www.simonmason.com/

A very professional coach; he is not just some racer filling in time between races or budgets, he takes his coaching duties very seriously. Good bloke, too.
Old 7 Jul 2009, 12:06 (Ref:2497229)   #9
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Absolutely agree,its good that some of us are able to help out when available,not just hanging around waiting for that ever elusive sponsorship deal. And yes,Simon is very good,we have the same training background.
Old 7 Jul 2009, 13:57 (Ref:2497292)   #10
PTRACER
Racer

England
Romford, Essex, U.K.
PTRACER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At what point does someone decide they need a bit of coaching?
Old 7 Jul 2009, 14:17 (Ref:2497302)   #11
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any point! Even F1 drivers get coaching & in other sports, coaching is far more prevalent than in motor sport.
Old 8 Jul 2009, 00:53 (Ref:2497568)   #12
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTRACER View Post
At what point does someone decide they need a bit of coaching?
At every point really if you want to be good. I hire a coach sometimes even though I instruct myself and also constantly talk with other instructors to learn as much as possible. The quest for knowledge and skills never ends.
Old 9 Jul 2009, 13:10 (Ref:2498333)   #13
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
The only driver who knows it all is an idiot! There is always room to learn something different/quicker. There are many little "secrets" about every circuit you could race on,some of those really do not count for much on thier own but when put together with something else,count for rather a lot.
Old 9 Jul 2009, 19:05 (Ref:2498558)   #14
andrew1988
Rookie

andrew1988 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Motorsport is so naive as a whole in my opinion.

Can you imagine Ryan Giggs turning around to Alex Ferguson and saying he's not going to turn up to training anymore!
Old 9 Jul 2009, 19:16 (Ref:2498567)   #15
RICHARD.T
Racer

RICHARD.T should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As an Instructor myself, in my opinion you will not get better than 'Danny Buxton' or 'Tom Ferrier'.
They can be found at: www.raceinstructors.com
Old 18 Jul 2009, 12:43 (Ref:2503777)   #16
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll agree that Danny Buxton is also one of the good 'uns.
Having worked alongside these guys, I'll add :

John Pratt (runs the Andy Priaulx outfit)
Enzo Mucci
Ross Bygrave (I assume the great DJ is still instructing)
Chris Hodgetts
Mike Wilds

I could go on and on, there's plenty of good guys out there that can help you get your head together, and get you going in the right direction (to the front of the grid!).

Simon's recently had some good success with drivers in one of the Caterham series.
Old 20 Jul 2009, 13:02 (Ref:2504838)   #17
nik
Rookie

Switzerland
Kent
nik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i must recomend jamie stanley too, and showed some good driving at brands at the weekend
Old 7 Sep 2009, 09:28 (Ref:2535724)   #18
pdreams
Rookie

pdreams should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RF_Racer View Post

Hi there,

Hope that you have found a coach already.

Regarding John Stevens, his website says it all. Personally, I found him very experienced and professional. Amazingly, his coaching extends to 2 wheels as well.

Was fortunate enough to have him fly from UK to Singapore and then to Sepang, KL for a coaching session.

Cheers,

Ryan
Old 9 Sep 2009, 08:11 (Ref:2536918)   #19
JNWRF01
Veteran

England
Bedfordshire
JNWRF01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Simple answer is to find someone youre going to get along with - as you'll find one session is prob not enough.

In my experience, Rob Wilson is fantastic - but teaches you a totally different technique - so be prepared to have at least half a dozen sessions to get the hang of. And - he's not cheap...!

Of the other names - I have no first hand experience - but John Pratt is very experienced and was a very good driver (and a good guy). I would also put Ben Clucas in same bracket.
Old 17 Sep 2009, 20:59 (Ref:2543061)   #20
Timmyevo6
Rookie

Timmyevo6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Try Simon Mason - http://www.simonmason.com/

A very professional coach; he is not just some racer filling in time between races or budgets, he takes his coaching duties very seriously. Good bloke, too.

totally agree, i've used him a couple of times and can't ever fault him or the way he teachs.
Old 29 Oct 2009, 17:01 (Ref:2572107)   #21
Alfie72
Rookie

United Kingdom
Buckingham
Alfie72 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As with any "driving instructor" John Stevens has his fans and his detractors. As, I suspect, would be each one of the others also mentioned here.

I would strongly recommend someone who has a)maturity, and b) relevant racing experience.

I do a similar thing in business working with small business owners, and if you can strike up a rapport, then it really can work for you.
Old 30 Oct 2009, 22:33 (Ref:2572751)   #22
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
There are many little "secrets" about every circuit you could race on,some of those really do not count for much on thier own but when put together with something else,count for rather a lot.
Can you recommend anyone good with rear wheel drive around Brands... its a bit of a bogy track for me.
Old 31 Oct 2009, 09:00 (Ref:2572877)   #23
Alfie72
Rookie

United Kingdom
Buckingham
Alfie72 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would ring the Brands Hatch Racing School office and ask for a one to one session, I'm sure they would still market these, all the major circuits used to.

Talk to whoever does the booking and make the same request of her.

I know from personal experience at Silverstone that it was always felt by the drivers as money well spent - even for just one one-hour session.

Last edited by Alfie72; 31 Oct 2009 at 09:00. Reason: Afterthought!
Old 31 Oct 2009, 14:14 (Ref:2572971)   #24
RICHARD.T
Racer

RICHARD.T should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wil Arif is one of the top instructors at Brands and has been around for a long time.

www.wilarif.co.uk
Old 13 Dec 2009, 11:42 (Ref:2598866)   #25
Richy888
Rookie

England
Richy888 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone know of any other instructors apart from kieran clark that lets you use their car? I was thinking of doing an hour session at snetterton or brands if they still use the renaults as I want to learn to drive in a fwd car as learning rwd or awd is no use to me.