Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Jul 2001, 15:30 (Ref:119691)   #1
Artwinter
Rookie

Artwinter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Electomagnetic Valves

Are the Renault engines using Electromagnetic Valves? Or is this something they intend to use in 2002? There have been rumors of this system for some time.

Art

Last edited by Artwinter; 20 Jul 2001 at 15:36.
Old 20 Jul 2001, 18:06 (Ref:119723)   #2
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NOBODY is presently using this type valve actuation in F1.It also looks doubtful for the near future too.They are just cant get the revs/efficiancy high enough yet-i read somewhere 12000 rpm is the limit so far.There have been threads discusing just this subject before.Maybe someone has a better memory than me about when that was?

Last edited by RWC; 20 Jul 2001 at 18:07.
Old 20 Jul 2001, 20:41 (Ref:119759)   #3
BD
Racer

BD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've heard these rumors also, but I doubt anybody is using them, or will for a long time. It would be a huge performance gain for whoever develops it first. I hope it happens soon but I doubt it will.
Old 20 Jul 2001, 20:58 (Ref:119767)   #4
KIMISIS
Rookie

KIMISIS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Electromagnetic Valve Actuation (EVA)

WHEN Renault announced they were returning to Formula 1, they declared that they were planning a radical approach to the design of their 3-liter V10 engine. That engine is now running in the Benetton, giving everyone involved a headache, and there has been much speculation about which radical technologies are incorporated. Renault admit that the V-angle is unusually wide at 110 degrees, in order to lower the center of mass of the engine, and there have been rumors that both direct fuel injection (GDI) and electromagnetic valve actuation (LVA) are used.

For any new technology to be used in Formula 1, two conditions must be met: Is there a net benefit, and is it feasible?

LVA is being developed for road engines, where it makes a lot of sense. The brochure figures for an engine quote maximum power, occurring in the range 5500-8000rpm, whereas most drivers (except insidef1.com readers!) drive in the 2000-4000rpm range. To achieve the brochure figures requires high valve lift and long valve duration, while cruising in high gear or ambling along in traffic requires lower lift and different valve timing, settings optimized for low fuel consumption and emissions. Throttling a petrol engine generates significant pumping losses, whereas reducing valve opening times and valve lift provides a much more efficient method of modulating the power output. Many modern engines have variable valve timing systems (VVT), and methods of varying lift are being explored. EVA solves all these issues at one go. Using electromagnetic solenoid actuators to open and close the valves permits infinitely variable valve lift and timing.

Formula 1 engines are normally operated in the 15,500-17,500+rpm range, with peak torque available from around 13,500rpm. In 1996, Boretti (Fiat Research), Borghi (University of Bologna), and Cantore and Mattarelli (University of Modena) - surely Ferrari inspired - published an SAE paper on optimizing a racing engine by, among other methods, variable valve timing and lift. On a “paper engine” that represented a 3l, V12, optimizing valve timing and lift for all RPM between 6,000-19,000 showed benefits below 8,000rpm, but little difference above that figure.

Mario Illien, Ilmor-Mercedes, has gone on the record against LVA on the basis that the power consumption would be too great. The need to accelerate each of the 40, 40gm (1.4oz) valves and associated hardware at around 4000g requires an actuator force of 1600N (360lbf). He also stated that valve to piston clearances are around 0.2mm (0.008 in) and so the precision needed in controlling the valve position would be problematical. Also, the heavy electromagnetic coils and magnets would be above the CofG of the engine and so raise it overall.

So, little benefit versus questionable feasibility means LVA is most unlikely. However, while Renault struggle with whatever they have in their engine, I do wonder what BMW are doing that gives their engine in the Williams higher RPM and power than the opposition….

MAY 20, 2001
BY PETER WRIGHT

I could lie and take credit for this, but all I did was find it!
Old 21 Jul 2001, 05:10 (Ref:119851)   #5
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
KIMISIS...What a fantastic post! very interesting..Welcome to our friendly forum!
Old 21 Jul 2001, 18:10 (Ref:120008)   #6
KIMISIS
Rookie

KIMISIS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well you know.............................

I try my best and aim to please!
Old 24 Jul 2001, 16:44 (Ref:121158)   #7
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Yes, excellent stuff KIMISIS!!Thanks!