Shelbyville Ky
Bob Baldwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rossi confirmed for Indy Car Andretti Motorsports
Old 24 Feb 2016, 10:19 (Ref:3617300)   #927
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mmmm, yes, as expected.

Anybody got insight to the budget requirements in Indy Car?
Old 24 Feb 2016, 15:12 (Ref:3617372)   #928
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man View Post
Mmmm, yes, as expected.

Anybody got insight to the budget requirements in Indy Car?
I found this comparison of F1 and IndyCar but it goes back to May 2013. Since IndyCar introduced aero-kits last year, this has added roughly $75,000 to $100,000 to the overall cost.

http://motorsports.nbcsports.com/201...ar-comparison/
Old 24 Feb 2016, 15:59 (Ref:3617390)   #929
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks, excellent article and amazing difference between the figures quoted for F1 and IndyCar participation. However, what I was wondering was; how much of the budget is the driver expected to find?

Dean Stoneman has now announced a move to IndyLights, who can blame the drivers for leaving the Europe based SS series?

On the other side of this discussion however someone said to me recently that American sports/GT racing was expensive for the drivers when compared with European racing.
Old 29 Feb 2016, 16:27 (Ref:3618744)   #930
old man
Veteran

England
UK
As predicted, Will Stevens now a WEC driver, very interested to see how he does
Old 22 Mar 2016, 09:44 (Ref:3625873)   #931
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
With all the attention quite rightly on a great opening race, and the performance of Haas on their debut, no one has said much about Manor.

In the weird truncated Qualifying they looked to be off the pace, much like in previous years. However, Wehrlein made a great start, and seemed to be running at a similar pace to the midfield pack until the red flag.

Lies, damn lies and statistics - Looking at fastest lap times, Wehrlein posted 12th quickest, ahead of both Force Indias, both Saubers and Bottas.

So, surely points and joining the midfield scrap should be possible at some of the races this season?
Old 22 Mar 2016, 10:19 (Ref:3625885)   #932
Formulahistory
Veteran

Formulahistory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wehrlein said the problem is they just have the pace for 5 laps and then the tyres are gone
Old 22 Mar 2016, 12:28 (Ref:3625922)   #933
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Is that just a setup thing, or a fundamental issue with the new car?
Old 22 Mar 2016, 16:01 (Ref:3625996)   #934
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I was surprised to see Haryanto outqualify Wehrlein (notwithstanding the later grid penalty).
Old 22 Mar 2016, 17:16 (Ref:3626012)   #935
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Hardly comparable when you consider the farcical quali procedure....
Old 22 Mar 2016, 22:53 (Ref:3626104)   #936
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Hardly comparable when you consider the farcical quali procedure....
Neither pilot had seen the track, they had the same opportunities in qualifying, so its actually a genuine effort to look at

Lets see what goes on in Bahrain..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 10 Aug 2016, 08:31 (Ref:3664840)   #937
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds like Haryanto is out the door and Ocon is in for the rest of the season.
Old 10 Aug 2016, 09:24 (Ref:3664852)   #938
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Feel for Haryanto as he was capable of giving a team-mate who's destined for great things a good run for his money. He'll have a decent career away from F1.

But I'm really excited that Ocon gets at least a brief chance to show what he can do - he has all the ingredients to be a future Grand Prix winner.
Old 10 Aug 2016, 10:42 (Ref:3664859)   #939
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
this isn't a chance for ocon per se, it's an apprenticeship, i'm really excited to see how he fares against wehrlein.

if this is the future of f1 i'm really keen for it to continue - surely the smaller teams losing control of who pedals their car isn't really a problem when it's bewilderingly brilliant talents that are given the seats?
Old 10 Aug 2016, 13:08 (Ref:3664886)   #940
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cds_uk View Post
Sounds like Haryanto is out the door and Ocon is in for the rest of the season.
Doesn't this effectively turn Manor into a junior Mercedes team, a bit like Toro Rosso is to Red Bull?
Old 10 Aug 2016, 14:08 (Ref:3664897)   #941
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
this isn't a chance for ocon per se, it's an apprenticeship, i'm really excited to see how he fares against wehrlein.

if this is the future of f1 i'm really keen for it to continue - surely the smaller teams losing control of who pedals their car isn't really a problem when it's bewilderingly brilliant talents that are given the seats?
100% spot on bella.
Old 10 Aug 2016, 14:41 (Ref:3664909)   #942
old man
Veteran

England
UK
F1 really needs more Marussias just so that the 50+ drivers climbing the GP3 - GP2 ladder have somewhere to go. With teams keeping the likes of Kimi and Jenson because of their experience there are precious few seats coming up for these young guns.
Old 10 Aug 2016, 18:32 (Ref:3664955)   #943
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Be really interesting to see how Ocon fares against Wehrlein. I've been surprised that Wehrlein hasn't dominated Haryanto more - Wehrlein underperforming, or Haryanto exceeding expectations?
Old 10 Aug 2016, 18:55 (Ref:3664962)   #944
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
entirely anecdotally, but i suspect it's more that the seriously talented drivers only shine when the door is open for them to produce an epic result (monaco with jules or austria for wehrlein) or when the poo really hits the whirly whirly thing. in your average no other opposition aside from your teammate everything going to plan situation it's pretty much evens. same goes for renault and their two drivers - it's only when the door suddenly opens for the driver to make the difference that you'll see it.
Old 11 Aug 2016, 00:43 (Ref:3665016)   #945
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
2 felipe's, 2 nico's and now 2 esteban's....whats f1 coming to?
Old 11 Aug 2016, 15:36 (Ref:3665146)   #946
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
At least they're in different teams, unlike when Toro Rosso had Buemi and either Vettel or Bourdais.
Old 11 Aug 2016, 16:31 (Ref:3665158)   #947
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
haha forgot about all the RB Sebastians! so few seats to begin with but even fewer allowable names....worst cost cutting measure ever!
Old 17 Dec 2016, 19:27 (Ref:3696867)   #948
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
Read today that Jagonya Ayam could be coming on board at Manor, surely Gelael won't be in one of the seats!?
Old 18 Dec 2016, 16:52 (Ref:3696967)   #949
Formulahistory
Veteran

Formulahistory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
not enough superlicense points.
Old 18 Dec 2016, 17:06 (Ref:3696972)   #950
LavidaLoca
Racer

LavidaLoca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulahistory View Post
not enough superlicense points.